1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Aesthetics

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by workspendconsumeobeydie, Nov 6, 2001.

1. workspendconsumeobeydie

workspendconsumeobeydie New Jack

Aesthetics

Discussion started by workspendconsumeobeydie - Nov 6, 2001

I'm writing this paper for school, and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about Aesthetics or the 'psychology of art'. It would be mad helpful if anyone could help, or give me links, or anything. Thanks.

workspendconsumeobeydie - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  2. graffitiSUX

graffitiSUX 12oz Senior Member

graffitiSUX - Replied Nov 6, 2001

go to the library

graffitiSUX - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  3. CATS

CATS 12oz Senior Member

CATS - Replied Nov 6, 2001

Sounds like you need THE LAW. In my misunderstanding the Aesthetics are the artforms combinations. Like, That piece is Aestheticly pleasing to the eye.

CATS - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  4. You Are a Toy

You Are a Toy 12oz Member

You Are a Toy - Replied Nov 6, 2001

wicked good.

You Are a Toy - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  5. AECH_ONE

AECH_ONE New Jack

AECH_ONE - Replied Nov 6, 2001

SEARCH IT ON UR COMPUTER.ARENT THEY HERE FOR THAT ANYWAYS?

AECH_ONE - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  6. Graf Orlok

Graf Orlok 12oz Junior Member

Graf Orlok - Replied Nov 6, 2001

Aethetics mean visual composition, to my understanding. The term "aesthetically pleasing to the eye" is redundant. Things can not be aesthetically pleasing to the ear. When something is done "purely for aesthetics" it means for show - not having any funtion other than the way it looks. That's it: aesthetics = the way something looks.

This would be a big red F for a paper, though.

Graf Orlok - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  7. workspendconsumeobeydie

workspendconsumeobeydie New Jack

workspendconsumeobeydie - Replied Nov 6, 2001

thanks, that clears some stuff up for me. THE LAW is knowledgable on this subject? perhaps he will drop some gems for me..

lets assume i already tried to search for it retards..

workspendconsumeobeydie - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  8. ILYSH

ILYSH 12oz Member

ILYSH - Replied Nov 6, 2001

aesthetics are the viewpoints towards art held by an individual or collective group. each person has their own personal aesthetic same as a country might have national aesthetic. if you prefer wildstyle graffiti over computer-rock graff, then that is your own personal aesthetic. aesthetics can be placed on visual art, performance art, music, etc.

dont be afraid to go to the library or look on the internet

ILYSH - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  9. hipnos

hipnos Guest

hipnos - Replied Nov 7, 2001

an aesthetic judgment on beauty, as Kant defined it, would be "that which is subjective universal." i actually just wrote a paper on Kant and aesthetics.. it is just a theory, by his definition, because it is something that everyone OUGHT to find beautiful, yet not have that judgment tainted by anyone else's opinion. he also said that judgements of beauty are not logical, and therefore cannot be anything but subjective. i don't really agree with all of his definition.. but there's some of it.. hope it helps.

10. Graf Orlok

Graf Orlok 12oz Junior Member

Graf Orlok - Replied Nov 7, 2001

I don't want to be argumentative, but I really think that aesthetics applies only to visuals, not sound. While people often might misuse the term aesthetics to suggest a style of music ("They're rock style is heavy on the fuzz aesthetics) - I think this is a misuse. Just like people who use the dexterity to describe footwork - dexterity if for hands, aesthetics are for visuals.

Maybe I do want to be argumentative. And of course it really doesn't matter if you misuse the word - as long as you get your point across, it's all good grammer to me.

Is you is or is you ain't with me people?

Graf Orlok - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  11. (ence

(ence Guest

(ence - Replied Nov 7, 2001

i don't know EXACTLY what you're looking for, i can't help you much, but you know what is badass? the psychology of architecture, that shits hella interesting, there's a badass book about it, i was gonna buy it but it costs like 60 bucks! maybe you could find it at the library under the architecture section

12. ILYSH

ILYSH 12oz Member

ILYSH - Replied Nov 7, 2001

not to be argumentative....................

aesthetic adj 1: relating to or dealing with the subject of aesthetics; "aesthetic values" [syn: esthetic] 2: concerning or characterized by an appreciation of beauty or good taste; "the aesthetic faculties"; "an aesthetic person"; "aesthetic feeling"; "the illustrations made the book an aesthetic success" [syn: esthetic, aesthetical, esthetical] [ant: inaesthetic] 3: aesthetically pleasing; "an artistic flower arrangement" [syn: esthetic, artistic, pleasing] n : a philosophical theory as to what is beautiful; "he despised the esthetic of minimalism" [syn: esthetic]

Is you is or is you ain't with me people?

ILYSH - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. ARK*M

ARK*M New Jack

ARK*M - Replied Nov 8, 2001

there's tons of crap on this. A lot of it is color theory, try searching "Bauhaus" (a famous/historic school in germany), "Color Theory," "Albert Munsell" (famous colorist), "J. [don't remeber what it stands for, I think it's Joseph(f)] Albers" (another colorist). I took a class on this, it was extremely helpful, but just as boring. That sucka was 3 hrs. a shot, I want that time back.:mad: :spent:

ARK*M - Rank: New Jack - Messages: