Aesthetics

workspendconsumeobeydie

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Aethetics mean visual composition, to my understanding. The term "aesthetically pleasing to the eye" is redundant. Things can not be aesthetically pleasing to the ear. When something is done "purely for aesthetics" it means for show - not having any funtion other than the way it looks. That's it: aesthetics = the way something looks.

This would be a big red F for a paper, though.

aesthetics are the viewpoints towards art held by an individual or collective group. each person has their own personal aesthetic same as a country might have national aesthetic. if you prefer wildstyle graffiti over computer-rock graff, then that is your own personal aesthetic. aesthetics can be placed on visual art, performance art, music, etc.

dont be afraid to go to the library or look on the internet

an aesthetic judgment on beauty, as Kant defined it, would be "that which is subjective universal." i actually just wrote a paper on Kant and aesthetics.. it is just a theory, by his definition, because it is something that everyone OUGHT to find beautiful, yet not have that judgment tainted by anyone else's opinion. he also said that judgements of beauty are not logical, and therefore cannot be anything but subjective. i don't really agree with all of his definition.. but there's some of it.. hope it helps.

Originally posted by ILYSH

aesthetics can be placed on visual art, performance art, music, etc.

I don't want to be argumentative, but I really think that aesthetics applies only to visuals, not sound. While people often might misuse the term aesthetics to suggest a style of music ("They're rock style is heavy on the fuzz aesthetics) - I think this is a misuse. Just like people who use the dexterity to describe footwork - dexterity if for hands, aesthetics are for visuals.

Maybe I do want to be argumentative. And of course it really doesn't matter if you misuse the word - as long as you get your point across, it's all good grammer to me.

Is you is or is you ain't with me people?

i don't know EXACTLY what you're looking for, i can't help you much, but you know what is badass? the psychology of architecture, that shits hella interesting, there's a badass book about it, i was gonna buy it but it costs like 60 bucks! maybe you could find it at the library under the architecture section

not to be argumentative....................

aesthetic adj 1: relating to or dealing with the subject of aesthetics; "aesthetic values" [syn: esthetic] 2: concerning or characterized by an appreciation of beauty or good taste; "the aesthetic faculties"; "an aesthetic person"; "aesthetic feeling"; "the illustrations made the book an aesthetic success" [syn: esthetic, aesthetical, esthetical] [ant: inaesthetic] 3: aesthetically pleasing; "an artistic flower arrangement" [syn: esthetic, artistic, pleasing] n : a philosophical theory as to what is beautiful; "he despised the esthetic of minimalism" [syn: esthetic]

Is you is or is you ain't with me people?

there's tons of crap on this. A lot of it is color theory, try searching "Bauhaus" (a famous/historic school in germany), "Color Theory," "Albert Munsell" (famous colorist), "J. [don't remeber what it stands for, I think it's Joseph(f)] Albers" (another colorist). I took a class on this, it was extremely helpful, but just as boring. That sucka was 3 hrs. a shot, I want that time back.:mad: :spent:

Archived