Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

advice on RISD/PRATT application sketches

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by eros, Sep 2, 2001.

1. eros

eros Senior Member

this is a question for anyone who has not only applied to these schools, but also gotten in. What do you recomend doing for the self portrait (realistic, abstract, head shot, full-body, background? Should RISD's bicycle sketch be just a straight drawing of a bike or should it be switched up a little?
    What kind of things did you, or have you heard of someone else doing for the free-choice?

2. eros

eros Senior Member

[email protected]

...My overall weighted GPA is a little above 91.

3. and now you choke

and now you choke Elite Member

gotcha!

4. garcia_vega

garcia_vega Elite Member

i applied to pratt and risd, i got accepted at both, i went to pratt for 3 semesters then transferred to massart. i can tell you what i did: my self portrait was a somewhat realistic charcoal drawing but it had really dramatic lighting. my bicycle drawing was not just a normal bike, it was one of those old school bikes with the big wheel in front and the small wheel in the back, and it had some kind of wierd circus freak riding it. i would try to show a lot of drawings that show skill at traditional drawing subjects like still lifes, portraits, models etc, then include a few that show your imagination. try not to have all your work be the same style--they aren't looking for that.

5. eros

eros Senior Member

thanks

6. Same case here with me, but I'm in RISD. For the Pratt self-portrait, I made a simple headshot, pretty realistic. The RISD bike, I took my little bro's bike, training wheels and all, and chucked it through the air into my driveway, and drew it just like it landed. I didn't bother to be too meticulous with it, but it was fairly realistic, like making the far side of the bike like out of focus, etc. You could probably pull the abstract card and do some crazy spin on a bike drawing, but it can come off as total bullshit to the reviewers. One particular drawing of a bike I liked had a view of a room being seen through a bike wheel, so the drawing was divided and nicely composed by the spokes... and that's all you could see of the bike. For the free choice, I drew a section of my dad's car engine. I dunno, I just wanted to try drawing something really complex. Finally, if you already have in mind what you want to major in, cater your drawings a little towards that arena.

Show them you can either draw or have a really crazy imagination, and they'll be happy to take you in and show you how to develop the one you're lacking. Try both, and it might come off as a little arrogant. Good luck. Beer,

El Mamerro

7. Mr.Raven

Mr.Raven Guest

I went to RISD on a full ride and all's I can say is that those three drawings carry a lot of weight. I'd do the best job you possibly could cause ultimately that's what their gauging you on. Those three drawings should represent the best of your ability. Both in concept and execution. I put about three full days into each one. Definately keep in mind that they get hundreds of these each year. The subject never changes over the years and they've probably seen just about evry angle and idea under the sun. Your job is to try and give them something they havent seen before. In addition, your expected to do so while proving your technically supperior to thos around you, or at least have the potential to one day out draw/paint everyone else.

8. Uh, I dunno if they're THAT important. I'm on an almost-full ride, and not only did I send my portfolio two weeks past the due date (with a letter explaining the drawings would come even later), I never even got to mail those three drawings. I got the letter of acceptance and financial aid package on the same day I was gonna mail them, and I was so ecstatic I didn't bother. Regardless, just make sure you got good shit to show them, be it portfolio or specific drawing. Beer,

El Mamerro

9. eros

eros Senior Member

thats really funny. How were your grades/ SAT's?

10. eros

eros Senior Member

also Raven and Mamarero, did you get hefty need based scholarships or merit scholarships? ...and if they were need based, what was your parents financial situation?

11. Hehe, nice spin on my name you got there. Actually, my SAT's/school GPA were pretty good, very good I think, which probably helped. Being hispanic wasn't bad either.. There's all kinds of people at RISD, there's complete idiots who happen to be very good at art and, there's geniuses who can't draw a stick figure if their life depended on it. As for the financial aid, the bulk of it is need-based, but about a quarter or so is merit scholarships, federal loans, and work study. My parents, well, they certainly don't make enough to cover all $30-35K a year it costs to go to RISD. Beer,

El Mamerro

12. BoB Hope ONER

BoB Hope ONER Elite Member

..mammeries... i would have sworn it was because of your large breasts.

and the blowjob you gave that fat guy in registration.

(i dont know what im talking about.. or what youre talking about.. im totally guessing)

13. Who the fuck are you? Beer,

El Mamerro

14. BoB Hope ONER

BoB Hope ONER Elite Member

the source of all your wet dreams and the reason sugar comes in a packet.

..told you i dont make sense.

and since when does raven speak?>

popping out of the woodwork.

15. tEkRoCkS

tEkRoCkS Veteran Member

good call.. he should talk more often..