Abu-Jamal Death Sentence Thrown Out

daus

FORWARD EVER!! DEMAND A NEW TRIAL!

COMPLETE FREEDOM FOR MUMIA ABU-JAMAL!!

12-18-01— BULLETIN http://www.mumia2000.org/

Abu-Jamal Death Sentence Thrown Out

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A federal judge threw out Mumia Abu-Jamal's death sentence on Tuesday, ruling that the former journalist and Black Panther is entitled to a new sentencing hearing for killing a Philadelphia police officer in 1981.

U.S. District Judge William Yohn ordered the state to conduct the hearing within 180 days.

"Should the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania not have conducted a new sentencing hearing ... the Commonwealth shall sentence petitioner to life imprisonment," the judge said in his 272-page ruling.

Abu-Jamal is America's most famous death-row inmate — revered by a worldwide "Free Mumia" movement as a crusader against racial injustice, and reviled by the officers's supporters as an unrepentant cop-killer who deserves to die.

The judge refused Abu-Jamal's request for a new trial, upholding his 1982 conviction on first-degree murder charges.

The ruling could be appealed to the U.S. 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals.

Abu-Jamal was convicted of shooting officer Daniel Faulkner, 25, during the early-morning hours of Dec. 9, 1981, after the officer pulled over Abu-Jamal's brother in a downtown traffic stop.

Celebrities, death-penalty opponents and foreign politicians have since rallied to Abu-Jamal's cause, calling him a political prisoner and saying he was railroaded by a racist justice system.

Philadelphia Common Pleas Judge Pamela Dembe ruled Nov. 21 that she did not have jurisdiction over Abu-Jamal's petition for a new trial, scuttling his hopes for another round of state-court appeals.

Abu-Jamal exhausted the state appeals process two years ago, but a petition filed in September argued that the defense had new evidence to clear him, including a confession by a man named Arnold Beverly.

In a 1999 affidavit, Beverly claimed he was hired by the mob to kill Faulkner because the officer had interfered with mob payoffs to police.

END BULLETIN — END BULLETIN — END BULLETIN — END BULLETIN —

SO WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN??

when I first heard the news I was shouting out loud with raised fists and thought they finally overturned the conviction of Mumia Abu-Jamal. But when I read further... its a whole different story. The judge says there will be no new trial, all new evidence (including the confession of the KILLER of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner!!!) and the 20 plus instances that Mumia presented against the attack on his civil liberties were denied. The judge said in a statement that the original jurors of Mumia's trial should have made all the decisions necessary!!?? HOW COULD ANYONE MAKE A KNOWLEDGABLE DECISION ABOUT SOMETHING THEY DID NOT KNOW!!!?? Now the judge wishes to have a new sentancing hearing so that Mumia will have life in prison instead of the death penalty!!!??? FREE MUMIA NOW!!! UNITE AGAINST CRIMINAL AUTHORITY!!! WE NEED A NEW TRIAL!!!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

sorry dude, he did it. life in prison is a gift to him and to me, now i dont have to see philly get rioted after they would have executed him. winners all around as far as im concerned.

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

Hmpf…where were you when I was unfairly incarcerated.

My bunkee did 160 days for his 2nd burglary.

I was to get realeased a few months AFTER him,

for a second graff charge. I demand a new trial!

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

i'm curious about those who are voicing opinions about his guilt really know about the case...

*cough* beardo *cough*

*cough* hesh *cough*

WOW...

i didnt expect even a few negative remarks about this case...

For anyone interested in learning more, check out the movie:

Mumia: A Case For Reasonable Doubt directed by John Edginton or check out http://www.mumia2000.org

and just my 2 cents: This whole case is about the reliability of our court systems. Guilty beyond a reasonable doubt? Who really knows for sure if Mumia is guilty or not when ALL the evidence has not been tried in a court of law before a jury? Isn't that how it is supposed to work around here?

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

let me clarify my position...

i think he is guilty

not positive, but i have my hunch that him and oj...

guilty

HOWEVER

if you know ANYTHING about the case you know it was a TRAVESTY of justice, and the case deserves a new trial. a fair trial. i don't advocate letting him walk, i advocate a fair trial.

and if they ever fry him...

get the FUCK outta dodge

philly has a rep for its "demonstrations/riots" and this rep preceded the puppet beating incidents this past summer..

I never really got into this topic because peoples' views can get so heated at times..I've heard people get into shouting matches over something that happened when most of them were still in diapers..In 1981(almost '82),I was only 7 years old.I never read the papers.

MR BOJANGLES--Nina Simone.(excellent song)

I'm not biased... here ya go read on...

Mumia Abu - Jamal - GUILTY !

Commentary on the murder of Daniel Faulkner by Mumia Abu Jamal

http://www.mumia.net/

my previous post was directed to the few replies after my initial post who seem to side with Daniel Faulkner so I wanted to give some info on the Mumia side of the case.. thats all.

I agree, Mumia is guilty as sin, I also agree that he got his guilty ass railroaded but I'm gonna have to say 'Tuff Shnit!". If I'm gonna have to shell tax bucks to retry him, I'm gonna want blood and quick. It will cost as much to retry him as it would to keep him for life so, if/when he lost the 2nd trial I'd want immediate execution, from the court room to the death chamber. If I was him, I'd be thankful everytime I took a breath...

Archived