Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
thank you.

post some more anyway.

badges? we don't need no stinking badges!

Actually to see them all, go to my book's myspace page and click the page in the first spot of the top 8. that's mine. I have a whole portfolio there.

As for sizes (for whoever asked) they vary, but most are around 36x48 or so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SB,

those are pretty dope, im impressed.

poesia,

what are the last two done with? are all the lines a result of photo/scanning, or are they in the pieces themselves?

i never noticed this thread before.

ive been working on a few new paintings, all 'abstract' stuff (for lack of a better term).

ill try to get em up soon.

SB,

those are pretty dope, im impressed.

poesia,

what are the last two done with? are all the lines a result of photo/scanning, or are they in the pieces themselves?

i never noticed this thread before.

ive been working on a few new paintings, all 'abstract' stuff (for lack of a better term).

ill try to get em up soon.

These were the original photo's that were transfered to Giclee's on Canvas from random cellphone pictures.

black_painting.jpg

white_painting.jpg

canvas_4_8.jpg

these are all from 03 and were posted a long time ago in the canvas thread). the last one was never finished. all are pretty bad pictures that dont show nearly the detail (subtles is maybe a better word).

ive got 3 or 4 paintings that im almost done with, but im being lazy about getting good pics of them. they're all along the same lines as these though, so if you just want to imagine some different color combos, they all look the same. blacks and reds, whites, tans and browns.

black_painting.jpg

white_painting.jpg

canvas_4_8.jpg

these are all from 03 and were posted a long time ago in the canvas thread). the last one was never finished. all are pretty bad pictures that dont show nearly the detail (subtles is maybe a better word).

ive got 3 or 4 paintings that im almost done with, but im being lazy about getting good pics of them. they're all along the same lines as these though, so if you just want to imagine some different color combos, they all look the same. blacks and reds, whites, tans and browns.

Seeking those are dope, i thought i was the only one that understood the subtleties involved using plates or fileds of color to interpet a sublime feeling. It was such a coincidence when i found my pictures that i printed i was like this is something i would love to paint but it was already there so i just printed it.

Actually painting it like you have done is one of the hardest things to capture, alot of people will not understand but i really appreciate those pieces.

I have alot of other pieces that i have painted that are real minimal back in 2002-2004 also but lack the time to bring them out.

I will post some pictures of a tryptich i just started it was supposed to be a background for a more rendered piece but it came out so randomly good, i am debating keeping it as it is.

These are the questions.

saying that barnett newman would have 'progressed' to where i'm at is ridiculous. ha. i am 100% irrelivent, barnett newman changed the history of art. i appreciate it, but lets be realistic.

i started to write out exactly what the paintings are about, but decided i'll save it till after i've put up the newer ones. the reason i love work like this so much, is because of the vast expanse it offers, not because it tells a 'story' like most work. i dont want others stories, i want their emotions. i get more emotion from the way two colors come together, than from almost any image you could conjure.

Poesia,

it is indeed hard as fuck. you're esentially painting something with no begining, no end, and only a 'feeling' of completion. that 'feeling' of course is always convoluted with worries about 'did i do too much' 'did i do too little' 'is this the way it's supposed to be' 'can i stop now?' etc. i have no formal art training, and other than girlfriends, no one ever even sees my shit. i talk about it as if its worthless, because i cant imagine anyone caring about it. that doesnt bother me, i do it just for the challenge of each one, but i appreciate knowing that someone else likes the same thing. makes me feel a little less insane for slaving over something that i stick in the corner after im finished with it, and never touch again.

ive got some sculptures i did several years ago. i'll try to find pictures. they were basically metal versions of my paintings.

box2.jpg

first thing i ever did in metal. its got a green cathode light inside, that glows out through the 'tears' at the bottom. the hole was made with a plasma torch, so it has a real rough sort of feel, like a comet tour through it or something. patina is gun metaling and intentional oxidation.

box_new.jpg

this is about two and a half feet tall, a foot wide, and an inch thick. the red line is actually red glass. theres a light inside the piece that makes it glow. black is a mix of gun metaling, griffin and nero, some crazy ink i brought back from italy.

ive got a few other pieces i like a whole lot more, but im not sure where my pictures are of them. i really need to get back into metal, i kinda feel like im better/more focused wiht that, than i am with anything else i do.

Haha. I said they "make me -think- of", not "they are". Don't flatter yerself, he would have done it a lot better :p Anyway, keep it up. It's definitely good

I'm somewhat depressed at the fact that abstract (especially abstract minimalism/abstract expressionism) is somewhat sidelined by most people as talentless or devoid of any kind of meaningful emotion. I'd rather stare at a Rothko, Newman or even a Mondrian over a lot of what supposed art "authorities" are currently shitting their pants over

it's unfortunate, but at the same time, the fact that its overlooked and undervalued insures that it will stay more honest, which is integral in a style that lacks a more technical criteria i think. the argument that 'anyone could do that' is valid, although obviously super over simplified. it sucks that some people might not get quite the recognition they deserve, but its not really the kind of thing you get into for recognitions sake i dont think.

i need to go track down joker and get him in here.