ABOX's...

IRON HEAD

O.k i know TTX are the makers of RBOX, ABOX, TBOX, TTX autoracks, and rail gons... But what is the difference between ABOX's and RBOX's??? Atleast TBOX's are extrememly new and bigger... I have yet to discover the difference... So if any one happens to know just please reply...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hahaha! So harsh.

I give him a little sympathy, that search function blows. I can never find what I'm looking for and I know the name of it half the time. Waaaaaaaaaaack.

I'd be curious to know why but I'm not nerdy enough to go digging for the answer that question, Zed. Would be fun to know though.

Originally posted by porque

...the extra little door is on there so larger cargo can be moved in and out of the car...it also makes me never want to paint them...

Zed knows that I know, so I'll just stir things a little futher. If its just to move larger things in then how come its an extra plug door instead of just another regular sliding door? ponder that....

Originally posted by ese

Zed knows that I know, so I'll just stir things a little futher. If its just to move larger things in then how come its an extra plug door instead of just another regular sliding door? ponder that....

yeah that didnt make much sense to me either, but since i didnt know for sure, I decided not to say anything. now i really gotta know the secret that lies behing the semi plug, semi sliding door.

...i don't actually know...but all the ABOXs i've seen look like they've been modified from RBOXs...which might explain that they can just fit an extra plug door in easier than a full sliding door...but i may very well be wrong...if anyone has seen a brand new (built new, not painted new) ABOX, then i'm definately wrong...but i've never seen one...

...please lay the knowledge on us ese...

good point. never seen any new blt abox either. at the same time i cant imagine ttx shelling out loot to modify a 10+ year old car when they can just build new ones for the same or probably less, which is where the tbox comes into play. on top of that ttx is the only company, that ive seen with plug/slide doors. ese stop dangling raw meat in front of lassie and tell us the deal, por favor. put some excitment in my boring day infront of the computer.

well, I've heard a few reasons for the combo floated, but the most credible one I've heard related to loading drywall, sheetrock, and some other kind of building supplies. I forget the details but it had somthing to do with the dunnage they need to pile in the small gap that sliding doors leave as opposed to plug doors where they close flush against the interior wall. Somehow that combo allows faster loading and unloading than a conventional double door.

ABOXes were built to be aboxes, they are not converted rboxes. The manufacturers vary, just as on rboxes, but I can site at least one batch for sure. FMC built the ABOX 50400-50999 series (5-6/78)

Most likely is to facilitate roll-on/roll-off loading by forklift of stuff like sheetrock on pallets. Most warehouse rail docks have steel plates, sort of like a little bridge, that are dropped between the rail car and the loading dock to make forklift loading/unloading easier and safer.

Originally posted by ese

well, I've heard a few reasons for the combo floated, but the most credible one I've heard related to loading drywall, sheetrock, and some other kind of building supplies. I forget the details but it had somthing to do with the dunnage they need to pile in the small gap that sliding doors leave as opposed to plug doors where they close flush against the interior wall. Somehow that combo allows faster loading and unloading than a conventional double door.

bingo. its designed for loading lumber, paper products, pulpwood, food and agricultural products, military ordinance, and miscellaneous freight. (or something along the lines of that.)

the double doors are for an additional aid in loading at places like warehouses.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was just thinking about the new Canadian Pacific w/ the beaver logo excess height cars, their the same exact boxcar as the new Fboxes. I've only seen a few down south though. I'll look on the web to find the Canadian carbuilder...

Archived