??? ABOUT SLGG AND WLO

IRON WIZARD

SIDNEY and LOWE RR

WATERLOO RY. CO is the only info i can dig up upon days of searching the id letters . any general info on either of these 2 companies would be a help. are they pool cars ? whats their general geographical areas , what if any is there conection to CN ? , and anything else you might want to add

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

http://www.uprr.com/customers/shortline/li...es/sidney.shtml The above link is for the Sidney and Lowe RR, its headquartered in Nebraska. No Canadian RR connections, I did find a website w/ pictures of SLGG boxcars, all 50 footers, the majority are exterior ribbed, some are excess height, in various colors, but no logos, just the reporting marks, numbers, and other important info...Its just a small swithing line, they can own a huge amount of boxcars that may never see their homerails in Nebraska, which is why you've caught them in Canada, I'm not sure if their in some kind of pool service. Their probably just leased out to some company...

Heres the boxcar flix:http://freight.railfan.ca/slgg.html

I'll get some WLO info in a second...

Heres the link to the boxcar pictures.http://freight.railfan.ca/wlo.html

The WLO was setup by the Illinois Central Railroad in the 50's, if you noticed, some of the boxcars in the above link are painted in the Illinois Central Grey paint w/ WLO reporting marks. The Illinois Central no longer exists, it was bought by Canadian National a few years ago, which may explain why the cars were caught in Canada...

thanks BOSCO that would explain why i have caught slgg' s as for south as florida .

i have also caught wlo in florida as well

the home rails info was one ? im glad you could answer thanks .

as for INDENT you and me got the same info ...but thanks anyway

FR8OTECH not 2 disagree but all my catches have been on a CN line with mainly ic, icg, cn ,cna , wlo, slgg, cvc, rbox, wccl,cv,gtw,kcs, bnsf and csx thats pretty much it. on the CP line cp , cpaa,srn,drgw,mp,rbox,sp,cnw,vcy,kcs,soo,ns,bar and cr but thats in my area. by the way we catch alot of the same fr8's

DANKLORD keep crushing them the roll plus i ve caught you up on a few

thanks for the input

Hey Danklordz your thinking of WLE, Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad, which operates in West Virginia and Ohio...

Theirs a lot of shortlines that own a whole fleet of boxcars that never even see their home rails. Some are like the Sidney and Lowe, their switching lines and bought up older cars from other railroads who had surplus cars, repainted them a standard color and applied new reporting marks and numbers, another example is the St. Mary's railroad, their reporting marks are "SM", you've probably seen them, they get crushed on the regular...I also live on a shortline, and I've seen pictures of their cars on the other side of the US, these are cars I've never seen before in their yard...Shortline cars travel more than most people think...

Originally posted by fr8otech

SLGG's a common place on Canadain Pacific lines. usually you'll see the brown high cubes, often mixed in with AOK and NOKL's; which are of similar size and colour

yep. and they run on CN lines HEAVY also.

Originally posted by fr8otech

SLGG's a common place on Canadain Pacific lines. usually you'll see the brown high cubes, often mixed in with AOK and NOKL's; which are of similar size and colour

yeah i got a spot that gets cuts of Hi-C's with those marks. and these: qgry, lw, cnw, cdac, the red cp with the beaver. oar's too sometimes. standards also mixed in but usually nothing exotic. just rbox and ns. i know they make a straight line to canada and/or the west coast.

does anybody still see bar's consistently - (except those who live in bar territory) that same spot used to get bars by the dozen and all of a sudden the started getting hi cubes about 5 or 6 years ago.

I actually emailed the St. Mary's Railroad to find out how many cars they owned, they never replied. Are they selling their trackage, which is only about 12 miles, or their boxcar fleet? Most of their fleet is in fairly good shape, you rarely see a rusted out SM...I like them, they are a dope reddish-orange color w/ a simple little logo. I've caught all kinds of cats on them...

...from what i heard they're selling the fleet off (not sure about the trackage)...supposedly to csx...this comes from some railfans i know...i personally don't keep up with much railroad gossip...

...they definately have a great color scheme...have you ever caught the older ones that have the herald?...i think they're a more yellowish orange but don't remeber exactly cause i've only caught a handful and can't find any flicks right now...

I know the scheme your talking about, I don't have any flix of it though. Theirs actually an HO scale car based on the early scheme...I guess they were all repainted by the new scheme. The old scheme didn't hold up to good after a few years, the paint faded real bad and the rust shown through. Thanks for the info on the sellout Porque, interesting stuff.

CNIC WLO ST MARYS

hey bosco..i have actually been to the st marys layups in st marys georgia...there are a few different ones out there to be exact..i was just out there not too long ago ...these were all nice and i had the chance to get down on a few out there...we get wlo on this old augusta line which is owned by CNIC...all the cn yards here all still say illinois central on the signs but also say canadien national ass well..do you think it was just a merger...we get a lot of slgg too...but those wlo's are almost always on or very close by to some sort of cnic line...all these cars are fresh and we see a shit ton out here in the southeast...hey bosco where are you ...well what region to be exact?? holler at me!

Yeah IC was bought out by CN a few years back, it gave the CN a direct connection into the US interior and down the Mississippi River to New Orleans. I'm not sure if the actual IC company is represented as a subsidiary of CN or if it actually no longer exists. I came across a freshly painted IC grey hopper a few weeks back, I forget if it had IC or CN reporting marks...

I also sent you a email thru 12oz TURBO DOG...

cn ic

you said you caught a whole line of those cn or ic hoppers...well so did i a whole line of all ic hoppers that said ic on them restamped with cn report marks... there were grainers and hopers all cn ic owned...it was in this spot that was a huge hopper layup aside from a main line a year back or so. i didnt get a chance to rock this line cause it was in the back of this country neighborhood and when we parked these fools were looking at us crazy..bosco i didnt get your e mail...email me at fortyouncer1@hotmail.com please i have some questionsto ask you!

Archived