a webdesign (not mo'fuckin' graphics design necessarily) thread

test pattern

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Glik0

flash.

and simple designs.

yeah, i've been heading into flash action scripting a little.. things like that. simple design has always been the only area i really want to explore. well, indulge in, rather. i want to explore everything.

i thought about seeing what random 12oz users could do using only ASCII design, but nah. i just figured that wouldn't go over well.

i only know enough to put my site together

i read a book on flash and dreamweaver, but i'm having a hard time grasping flash, actionscript and all that stuff...it's sorta beyond my scope and i don't have the patience to learn it...but i will learn it eventually...

it also helps to know some html so you can fix the code.

i figured that by the links you post that strike your interest. that, and your magnificant robots. i also recall you saying you prefer robots that are clear in how they work, as opposed to robots containing mechanical-looking embellishments. i think i read something like that. complicated, detailed designs are not and have never been my thing, but i really respect and enjoy your robots.

post up some links for good, educational reading.

also to slave, i'm not just getting started in this stuff. i mean, i can code whatever i need to from notepad if i had to. i know html entirely. it's just been about two or three years, i was doing it for about five before that. i'm just so rusty and clueless at this point, that it would help to know what to get started on.

Originally posted by test pattern

also to slave, i'm not just getting started in this stuff. i mean, i can code whatever i need to from notepad if i had to. i know html entirely. it's just been about two or three years, i was doing it for about five before that. i'm just so rusty and clueless at this point, that it would help to know what to get started on.

awesome!

well in that case, i don't think you're rusty or clueless on anything at all; all the web design tools are still the same (i think)...

i, on the other hand, am barely learning. do you have any work of yours i can check out for inspiration?

not anymore, but i might start sketching some ideas soon. i want to go to school for an english major, with some sort of thing on the side. i have always been arts & literature, more towards literature. i'm a sucker for good writing. anyway, i'm going to major in english to help out my own writing and because i have a great interest in the subject. i wanted to do something for graphics design too, as i always have. lately, i've been leaning a lot more towards straight web design.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Thanks guys...

Yeah, I wanna clarify that I don't particularly dislike simple design, there's a whole bunch of brilliant stuff out there. I just don't see a necessary correlation between simple and good design as it is sometimes preached in the design world... granted, the odds of a design to succeed are greater the simpler it remains, but that just makes me appreciate well-executed complex design even more... it's a tougher realm to conquer.

Whether a design should be simple or complex should be dictated by the subject matter. There's many subjects that benefit from bare-bones presentation, others benefit from multi-layered expositions. I tend to enjoy the latter more.

As for the robot thing, yeah I remember saying that... I love seeing designs that show how the robot would physically move... there's a whole bunch of robots that have the functions hidden behind body panels, so whenever I see a well-engineered design, with hydraulics, pivot points, and placement of parts that allow for realistic range of motion, I find it much more exciting. I'm not particularly good enough at that yet, but I wanna improve in that area.

i'd agree on the simplicity/complexity issue. i was actually talking to someone about throwups--why they are they way they are and why they are effective, and it reminds me of this. some things have an easier time getting their point across with more complexity. additionally, people are frieghtened by difficult design for the most part.

Guest BROWNer

it's not frightening, it's just a big jumble of shit alot of the times.

the idea, unless you're just going off personally, is to get an idea/message

across to a target audience, and if it's immediately hectic, especially

on a web site, then you lose. people don't spend alot of time figuring

out a webpage, they want the page to open fast, be logical, appealing, and

easy to navigate. i find most teched out flash sites pretty soulless. the wow factor is good, but it only carries you so far.

you need some level of logical simplicity, either

in the look of it, the navigation or whatever.

but like for a mag, it could be super simple design and layout, and be nice,

but take something like grand royal that's jammed with words and images with

little tangible care for the layout and design, and the jumbly shit kills it hands

down. you can pick it up a million times and it's still interesting and appealing.