a stupid fucking quetion

theillp

perhaps.. bt i dont understand when people say graffiti is mainstream refering it to be in legitimate mediums.. clothing tv movie music video imagry cideo games advertsiemnt etc.. they say its mainstream but illegal on the streets its not mainstream why?????????? it seems liek the definiton of the word mainstream changed.. i see graffiti done illegally in the streets way more than on clothing advertisemnts other imagerys etc.. in my everyday life. so what the fgojfsnuosnghnth

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

mainstream in this context means everyone is doing it.

rl-ka.jpg

look at it like this. the main stream is where the majority of the people are (or in the case of the picture, where the majority of the water is)

graffiti is one of the streams that runs off the "beaten path" but it's been eroding into the main flow of water.

understand?

graffiti has had an even bigger influence on advertising then the obvious use of graffiti "styled letters" in actual advertisements but even how they are advertised. some major public transportation systems now cover their entire buses with one giant ad, similar to a whole car. The people who go and scout new locations for billboards are doing exactly what we do. Now some of that advertising has been around for a some time but the influence of graffiti drastically forced it's repetitive nature( how many times have you seen the same ad(tag) in any given day?) and locations ( big and visible). Graffiti can be viewed as main-stream largely because of the fact that it influences consumerism. but not only as an influence but the great number of commodities it produces, i.e. toys, books, clothes, montana paint. etc. In this capitalist society money is the main vein and what makes the money is floating down that stream. They even teach classes in some college which gets me off on to another "stream" of thought. sad.

However just because it is in the "mainstream" does not mean those "true to the underground should go and quit because it has lost its sacredness. just like skate-boarding, b-boying, and every other culture it will be in the spot light for a while then head to the shadows to grow again, only to resurge. If some one is a real graffiti writer, this is of course just my opinion, then they will continue writing no matter what is thought of graffiti, if it's in the lime light or not. :yuck:

mainstream,n.

The prevailing current of thought, influence, or activity: “You need not accept the nominee's ideology, only be able to locate it in the American mainstream” (Charles Krauthammer).

adj.

Representing the prevalent attitudes, values, and practices of a society or group: mainstream morality.

tr.v. main·streamed, main·stream·ing, main·streams

1. To integrate (a student with special needs) into regular school classes.

2. To incorporate into a prevailing group.