A school suffers because superintendent takes pay raise.

Ethreadzny2

this article got me extremely heated. first off, my aunt had been a teacher in Yonkers school for a long time with a terrible salary. Second, there has been complaints of teenaged gangs in Yonkers, now they are cutting afterschool sports programs, brillant.

11/20/03) YONKERS - Parents are angry over the amount of money being paid to the Yonkers school superintendent.

On Monday, the Yonkers community listened as members of the board of education told them that by December 1, all extra-curricular activities would be cut, as well as music, art, industrial arts and school security. On the same night the school board made cuts to close a $20 million shortfall in the district's budget, they also awarded Superintendent of Schools Angelo Petrone a $235,000 contract and an additional $43,000 in retroactive pay. Petrone also has a new Lincoln Navigator, which the districted leased for him.

One parent says although he thinks Petrone is entitled to a salary, he doesn't understand why he it has to be so much and why he has to drive around in a luxury car.

With 500 people set to lose their jobs, parents are wondering what the board of education is thinking.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

our society is trapped in a serious downward spiral..

we can't build prisons fast enough.

and no wonder, seeing as the government has decided to begin the wholesale manufacture of inmates..

how long will people sleep?

in my city, our educational infrastructure is collapsing..the school board was confronted with massive cuts and wide layoffs..

but what gleaming new beautiful building was constructed on the easside fo the chill'ren?

a fucking 'juvenile justice center'

it makes me sick.

no wonder i got attacked by some of those same forgotten children last winter.

they were visious.

our society will pay the price for neglecting them.

you speak the truth. It makes me sick that you have people complaining that these kids hang out on the street all night causing trouble, then they take away their sports programs. This gives these same kids an outlet and takes up alot of their freetime. once again, society is failing.

and look how complacent people have become..

we are like, the only ones responding to this thread..

no one cares..

people complain, like you said, about the hangin on the corners, the uneducated unmotivated youth..adults are no better.

we live in some semblance of a democracy..

and a capatilist society.

if the customer [the taxpayer] really took control of their money, and held governements responsible for this misallocation of funds, shit might actually change.

but instead.....

ugh.

i'm close to throwing my hands up.

i gotta run for office or some shit at this point.

dunno anymore.:o

Guest chicken bone

Eliminating all afterschool activities in any school is going to lead to a lot of teenagers doing other things to quell their boredom. This can theoretically lead to higher rates of crime and mischief (I would guess amongst teenage boys). In the inner city, the weak educational system has provided the perfect environment for producing kids ready for street life (and eventually prison).

You put it right, America is mass producing inmates at an exponential rate. Under many different guises, 'the system' has managed to put behind bars more people than any other country in the world.

The swiftly deteriorating educational facilities in the inner cities of America are a testament to the slow decline of the USA. It seems like before our eyes the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.

On another note, what's up with asshole superintendents?! I had a big beef with the superindendent at my highschool. He was a real egomaniac, and was also paid very well. I was doing a project to try and raise money for more vegetarian food items (and REAL fruit juice, not gatorade and coca-cola) at our cafeteria only to be denied the right to raise money in the name of my school's 'heavy coca-cola sponsorship' (as put by the superintendent). He then wrote a letter to each of my teachers afterwards, telling of my 'insolence' for making such a request. I guess even in the smallest instances, one can run into frustrating dead ends when it comes to the systematics of money and power. Blah.

Archived