Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

a question for the older crowd

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by GREENOJOS, Apr 16, 2005.

1. GREENOJOS

GREENOJOS Member

my stubborness will definately get the best of me one day. until then, i'm betting big right now. currently im in a little over my head in debt, bills and money are tight and i haven't stopped spending money yet nor have i started knocking out that debt like i know i should be doing. anyhow, this brings me to the point of my thread: how do you live your life?

i know i need to pay my debts and get rid of my credit cards but that wouldn't leave me much fun. the way i see it, you got to balance it all out. pay some off, enjoy some things you cant afford, and it will work itself out in the end. however, that's dangerous. if i lost my job right now i'd be in a world of hurt. maybe im an idiot, maybe im not, but i hate feeling like i have to pay my bills off first and saving saving saving. shit, i could be shot after a couple years of playing it safe and saving and then what? all that hard work and savings down the drain.

what are you people's thoughts about this? do you tend to get in over your head, play it safe? let's hear some thoughts please.

2. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

the thin line between success and failure

3. postmodernism

postmodernism Junior Member

Let me paint a hypothetical situation for you One day you wake up and discover your car is stolen. you miss work, your ass hole boss is unsympathetic, the bills start piling up. You start missing your payments. Paying the minimum on your credit cards. Rent is late. Stop paying the phone bill all together. and lose your home . This is what happened to me. HERES THE ADVICE. GET A CLUB FOR YOUR CAR> RENTERS INSURANCE, AND PUT TOGETHER AN EMERGENCY 2500 Dollars in case shit falls apart. Pay the CREDIT CARDS off but Keep them around for emergencies. You never know how vulnerable you are until the shit hits the fan. Be prepared. YOu have only yourself to rely on. Your girlfriend will be out as soon as your broke. BELIEVE ME. If you are lucky you have good parents. I wasnt that lucky. i was living in a week to week apartment in a grimy part of Detroit for 4 months before i could find work and a cheap ride. It was more of a brother than anything.

4. slave_one

slave_one Elite Member

spend a little, save a little...as long as YOU know your limit, and your ability to pay it back.

i like to indulge on stuff here and there too; as long as i know i can pay it off right away...shouldn't be a problem.

5. fatalist

fatalist Dirty Dozen Crew

i definitely feel ya on this one slave

6. GnomeToys

GnomeToys Elite Member

Postmodernism knows, I had something similar happen due to alcoholism and losing a job of 3 years because of related problems suddenly and without much warning. Set aside $$$ if you can and be ready for the worst, you can still have fun, just skip out on buying the expensive shit.

I could have bought that dual processor opteron I've wanted this week but opted for the el-cheapo overclocking machine instead just so I'd have some backup funds.

7. oneeightyone

oneeightyone Senior Member

Pretty much you have to budget your money, dont spend it as much on things that arent worthwhile, stop eating out, buy ramen. do the simple shit in life. Just like willy wonka said, it is the thin line between failure and success.

Pay off your credit cards, try to send as much as possible, when you send the minimum payment, its not helping much. for example.
    minimum is 60 bucks, 35 goes towards interest that leaves 25 for the total amount due. now, if the next time it's 60 also, and 35 goes to interest that means thatout of 120, you only paid 50 towards the initial amount. get it.

just budget yoru shit and youll do fine, everyone has debt, but it's the people that are smart with it that dont worry about it.

8. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

9. smokejuda

smokejuda Member

go for broke move back in with your mom lose yrou job and dotn have a license for another couple months(goin on 3 years) do that and then tell me how you enjoyed living... shit is wack....

10. ASER1NE

ASER1NE Veteran Member

Ive been saving and not really spending Large sums of money for almost 5 years, and its BORING. Luckily i had those savings when i lost my job and had to rely on them for the next few months, but saving when youre young isnt really necessary i dont think. I think its worth it to just spend it while you have it , and you have the time and shit to do so. Because definately the older you get the more Expensive life is and the less time you have to enjoy the money you can save .

My .02

11. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

hard to come up when you have barriers such as debt.

12. villain

villain Veteran Member

I Don't Wanna Grow Up
    (Tom Waits/K. Brennan)

When I'm lyin' in my bed at night
    I don't wanna grow up
    Nothin' ever seems to turn out right
    I don't wanna grow up
    How do you move in a world of fog
    That's always changing things
    Makes me wish that I could be a dog
    When I see the price that you pay
    I don't wanna grow up
    I don't ever wanna be that way
    I don't wanna grow up

Seems like folks turn into things
    That they'd never want
    The only thing to live for
    Is today...
    I'm gonna put a hole in my TV set
    I don't wanna grow up
    Open up the medicine chest
    And I don't wanna grow up
    I don't wanna have to shout it out
    I don't want my hair to fall out
    I don't wanna be filled with doubt
    I don't wanna be a good boy scout
    I don't wanna have to learn to count
    I don't wanna have the biggest amount
    I don't wanna grow up

Well when I see my parents fight
    I don't wanna grow up
    They all go out and drinking all night
    And I don't wanna grow up
    I'd rather stay here in my room
    Nothin' out there but sad and gloom
    I don't wanna live in a big old Tomb
    On Grand Street

When I see the 5 o'clock news
    I don't wanna grow up
    Comb their hair and shine their shoes
    I don't wanna grow up
    Stay around in my old hometown
    I don't wanna put no money down
    I don't wanna get me a big old loan
    Work them fingers to the bone
    I don't wanna float a broom
    Fall in love and get married then boom
    How the hell did I get here so soon
    I don't wanna grow up

13. mackfatsoe

mackfatsoe Veteran Member

RESPONSIBILITY, WHAT'S THAT!
    RESPONSIBILITY, NOT QUITE YET!

I don't remember who sang the song, but I think it sucked.

14. kido

kido Senior Member

spend like hell, you only live once, its the american way

15. The Leader

The Leader Senior Member

I'm going to school right now, so I'm living paycheck to paycheck getting food and other necessities. And that's where I'm at right now.