IT THAT HAD THIS LITTLE TOWER ON IT...THE FLAT HAD

HOSES GOING INTO THE BOX CAR..ON THE

SIDES OF THE FLAT IT HAD THESE PLATFORMS

THAT FOLDED OUT SO YOU COULD GET ALL

CLOSE TO CARS TO SPRAY EM DOWN..HAS ANYBODY

SEEN THIS?????? ITS B N S F..EQUIPMENT..I GOT THE #

OFF IT TO SEE WHAT THE FUCK THEYER DOIN WITH

IT.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

im not saying you didnt see this thing, but i find it hard to believe iti said portable buffer since buff is a term used exclusevly by writers when refering to painting over something. i mean youl never hear a rr worker say im gonna buff this train or a city worker say im gonna buff this wall. again im not saying this thing didnt exist. if it did say buffer maybe it meant cleaner. ya know like when the detail an automobile they call it "wax BUFF and simonize"

Alright already. He said "or some shit". It probably said some pc term for buffing and he didn't remember what it was. On to the whole POINT of this thread, which is,

quote: "ANYBODY

SEEN THIS?????? ITS B N S F..EQUIPMENT..I GOT THE #

OFF IT TO SEE WHAT THE FUCK THEYER DOIN WITH

IT."

I have not seen this before, i think i saw a flick of one on a rare car thread. That would suck if they started using them a lot, but i'm pretty sure they just re stamp the numbers with them when writaz go over them.

"Buffing" to a non-writer is polishing something with a cloth or grinding machine for cleanliness, smoothness, or leveling. If this car actually used the word "buff" in some form, it may have referred to a rail grinder, the machine that grinds the rails down to proper tolerances, and which throws off a lot of sparks and is kind of crazy to watch. I doubt the railroad uses the term "buff" to refer to graffiti removal.

Also - probably unrelated, but another railroad use for the word - a "buffer" is an empty car or cars used to separate certain kinds of cars (usually hazmats) from other hazmats or from an engine. (Railroad rules in some places require that a hazmat car be no closer than 4 cars to an engine except for switching operations, so an all-hazmat train like an acid train will have a couple of "buffer" cars stuck between the engines and the tankers just to fill up space and meet the requirement.)

• 5 weeks later...

Cracked

One of the reasons I follow your posts closely is that I never fail to learn something new from them, and it's usually one of those "light bulbs above the head" revelations leading to insight ("OF COURSE---buffer cars between the unit and tank cars---I knew that!" ) I've seen that consist plenty of times, and looking it right in the face, didn't realize what I was looking at. Thanks, for another nugget of railroad knowledge.

Archived