Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

A PORTABLE BUFFER..????

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by tone...Lof, Aug 1, 2002.

1. tone...Lof

tone...Lof New Jack

I WAS OUT EARLY THIS WEEK GETTIIN
    SOME WERK DONE AND I RAN INTO
    A PORTABLE FUCKING BUFFER!!
    IT WAS A BOX CAR THAT SAID RAIL CAR BUFFER
    OR SOME SHIT..THEN THERE WAS A FLAT CAR BEHIND
    IT THAT HAD THIS LITTLE TOWER ON IT...THE FLAT HAD
    HOSES GOING INTO THE BOX CAR..ON THE
    SIDES OF THE FLAT IT HAD THESE PLATFORMS
    THAT FOLDED OUT SO YOU COULD GET ALL
    CLOSE TO CARS TO SPRAY EM DOWN..HAS ANYBODY
    SEEN THIS?????? ITS B N S F..EQUIPMENT..I GOT THE #
    OFF IT TO SEE WHAT THE FUCK THEYER DOIN WITH
    IT.

2. krowteN

krowteN Member

im not saying you didnt see this thing, but i find it hard to believe iti said portable buffer since buff is a term used exclusevly by writers when refering to painting over something. i mean youl never hear a rr worker say im gonna buff this train or a city worker say im gonna buff this wall. again im not saying this thing didnt exist. if it did say buffer maybe it meant cleaner. ya know like when the detail an automobile they call it "wax BUFF and simonize"

3. krowteN

krowteN Member

i thought only writers used buff in that context. is bnsf getting that hip that they have started writing graffiti slang on the sides of their equipment.? just a thought.

4. CRUSH KILL DESTROY

CRUSH KILL DESTROY Veteran Member

"PORTABLE BUFFER" HAHHAAHAHAA THAT WAS FUNNY, THIS IS A GREAT THREAD THANKS LOL

5. canfucker

canfucker Junior Member

Alright already. He said "or some shit". It probably said some pc term for buffing and he didn't remember what it was. On to the whole POINT of this thread, which is,
    quote: "ANYBODY
    SEEN THIS?????? ITS B N S F..EQUIPMENT..I GOT THE #
    OFF IT TO SEE WHAT THE FUCK THEYER DOIN WITH
    IT."

I have not seen this before, i think i saw a flick of one on a rare car thread. That would suck if they started using them a lot, but i'm pretty sure they just re stamp the numbers with them when writaz go over them.

6. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

"Buffing" to a non-writer is polishing something with a cloth or grinding machine for cleanliness, smoothness, or leveling. If this car actually used the word "buff" in some form, it may have referred to a rail grinder, the machine that grinds the rails down to proper tolerances, and which throws off a lot of sparks and is kind of crazy to watch. I doubt the railroad uses the term "buff" to refer to graffiti removal.
    Also - probably unrelated, but another railroad use for the word - a "buffer" is an empty car or cars used to separate certain kinds of cars (usually hazmats) from other hazmats or from an engine. (Railroad rules in some places require that a hazmat car be no closer than 4 cars to an engine except for switching operations, so an all-hazmat train like an acid train will have a couple of "buffer" cars stuck between the engines and the tankers just to fill up space and meet the requirement.)

7. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

Cracked

One of the reasons I follow your posts closely is that I never fail to learn something new from them, and it's usually one of those "light bulbs above the head" revelations leading to insight ("OF COURSE---buffer cars between the unit and tank cars---I knew that!" ) I've seen that consist plenty of times, and looking it right in the face, didn't realize what I was looking at. Thanks, for another nugget of railroad knowledge.

8. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

Always glad to help. The feeling is mutual on knowledge-dropping, I get a lot out of your hobo threads.