Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

A Grand Don't Come For Free

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Jackson, May 19, 2004.

1. Jackson

Jackson Veteran Member

The new album by the streets, anyone got it yet? Apparently its great.
    I have downloaded a couple a songs; fit but you know it (krie's sig) and It Was Supposed To Be So Easy. Both great.

2. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

Have it. It's not great.

The first album was a classic but this one is missing a lot of what made the first one good. There was real emotion on 'Pirate Material' and the emotional tracks on the new one just done come off as being honest. There's a straight story to the disc and it doesnt compare because on the first one where every song had a good story, not just across the timeline. The beats are clearly more expensive but they sound a bit overproduced and slighty like 'krunky hiphop'.

It's not bad... but not worth a purchase.

7/10

3. nomadawhat

nomadawhat Veteran Member

only got to listen to it once... and more as background music.... so can't really give an opinion yet. their last album took awhile to grow on me.. both because of the diff style and to really get to listen to the lyrics.. so hopefully this one does the same and keeps getting better. i have it on slsk for anyone interested in the dl.

4. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

the lyrical content isnt as good.

what I tried poorly to say before:

Each song on the first album stood well alone.
    The tracks arent as good alone here and they need
    the entire context of the album to really stand out.

5. Step8

Step8 Senior Member

I have it. On its own, it's amazing, but compared to Original Pirate Material it's just alright. You really have to listen to the album as a whole, not one song here or there. If i were to give OPM five stars, i'd give A grand dont come for free 3.5 stars.
    Also if you liked OPM try to pick up the short remix album that came out between his two full lengths, its called All Got Our Runnins, or something like that.

6. gfreshsushi

gfreshsushi Senior Member

for some reason i was totally sure this thread was about prostitution.

7. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

there were a few songs release on the streets website.

you an find them on slsk or kazaa.

all got our runnins
    give me my lighter back
    pure garage
    weak become heros (Royksopp Mix)

+plus a really good live set of him playing a bit of a mash up.

8. Vanity

Vanity Veteran Member

when will people realize that the streets suck?

9. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

damn... vanity's in a mood lately.

10. Vanity

Vanity Veteran Member

nah.. they just suck... tess tried to put me on to them last fall... they had like one song that had an alright beat... but home boy needs to stop rhyming.

11. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

it's just a 'him' not a 'they' and if you can get past his delivery, there's some great stories being told. Just dont look at it as 'rapping' and you might like it better.

12. Jackson

Jackson Veteran Member

I guess its a London thing really. He makes me weep with laughter.

13. Vanity

Vanity Veteran Member

i didn't know if he had people helping w/ production.

but what can i say.. im a rap fan.

and im down for some original flows/styles.. but i just find ol' boy's structure and delivery wack.

if i wanna hear stories, i'll go to slick rick

14. El Producto

El Producto Senior Member

as i said in the other thread...the stuff he says doesnt rhyme..he just talks crap in every song......i dont see how people can think hes good

15. adderall

adderall Elite Member

i thought this was about money