Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

A good academic article on graffiti

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by suburbian bum, Apr 3, 2006.

1. suburbian bum

suburbian bum 12oz Loyalist

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0004-5608...%3E2.0.CO%3B2-H

Urban Graffiti as Territorial Markers
    David Ley; Roman Cybriwsky
    Annals of the Association of American Geographers, Vol. 64, No. 4. (Dec., 1974), pp. 491-505.

My favorite quote:

" The mastery and occupatio of space might well be a behavioral primitive. Climbing mountains, descending to the ocean depths, landing astronauts on the moon who leave behind their own territorial marker, colonial adventures, riding the freeway, possessing a home on a large lot - middle-income Americans have ample opportunity to sublimate their territorial needs, but many of these options are closed to the inner city dweller. For him, spatial mastery is often possible only in the realms of the phantasmagorical. Blocked access to the mainstream culture encourages a projective fantasy. Thus Cool Earl and Kidd have legitimate artistic ambitions, but city life provides no access to such a realization. 'We'd like to get into commerical art... but no one has told us how to go about it.' Hence, like some other inner city residents, they follow the main highway of make-beleive. An exotic nickname, a garnished signature, identify a new personality and a space conquered, a mark left. ' A man has to win a battle somewhere' "

Anyways, an interesting article, that is quite dated but still pretty cool.

2. sillysiphilis

sillysiphilis Member

The start of it sounds pretty cool..all I could get was the abstract and the introduction.
    I'm sure you probably know JStor, along with most other scholarly search engines, can only be fully accessed at libraries or colleges.
    It's nice to see graffiti covered from a more academic standpoint.
    I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to access the rest.

3. suburbian bum

suburbian bum 12oz Loyalist

sorry about that guys, I am accessing it from a university and thus I did not realize.

4. one3three

one3three New Jack

''spatial mastery...''
    he has got a point, every writer wants their tags to take over- no serious writers just tag their street, they go out miles.

5. skirmfirm

skirmfirm Elite Member

i managed to read it fine on a normal pc?

6. space is the place

space is the place Banned

Similarly, not having access to higher education means no access to articles like this! ;)

Post the whole article skirmfirm