A Day Without a mexican

High Priest

A day without a mexican.

While we haven't actually seen this film... the advanced publicity alone has peeked our interest. A Day Without A Mexican is a politically progressive film that deals with the subjects of immigration, labor, exploitation, race, and how these issues converge in California. The film's advertising campaign has so far utilized controversial billboards that read, On May 14th There Will Be No Mexicans In California. Almost as quickly as the billboards went up, some began complaining about their controversial text... apparently thinking the signs where sponsored by an anti-Immigrant organization bent on mass deportations!

Checkout the link if your interested.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Serious shit to observe. The South East definately has an increased population of Mexicans due to the abundance of work available in the tobacco biz. Mexicans are allright with me by the way. I want to get a glimpse of that flik so I can get up on some things I would be too lazy to read about.

Originally posted by Nekro

I heard about this on NPR over here in new england. It seems like they're trying to accentuate how much hispanic people (illegal immigrants mainly) contribute to the economy and daily life over there.

Yea, well it would make sense..in los angeles only 10% of the population is "african american".. the majority are of latin decendence.. so if all those people were just randomly to pick up and leave a large void would be felt in the wake of their abscence.

Originally posted by High Priest

Yea, well it would make sense..in los angeles only 10% of the population is "african american".. the majority are of latin decendence.. so if all those people were just randomly to pick up and leave a large void would be felt in the wake of their abscence.

Latinos make up roughly 40% of L.A... Blacks are more like 14%. Whites make up about the same as Latinos because of all the suburbs and outlying areas. However the White percentage continues to fall and the Latino population continues to rise.

It didn't used to be like that. When my dad was growing up in L.A. during the 60's he said he hardly saw Mexicans, except for in East L.A. where they've always been. Since then, they've spread out to areas that were traditionally either white, black, or asian. Go to North Hollywood, Compton, and Chinatown and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

the news was saying the tortilla

is about to replace white bread!

(no pun intended)

and yeah, latinos are on the rise

here in cali. we're supposed to

make up a large percentage of

cali's population in the future...

based on statistics...

:dazed:

im going to check out that flick.

thanks for the heads up!

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

well, i should have said bread altogether...not just white bread.

i like pb&js...with bananna...mmmm...or a mexican hot dog..wenie in a tortilla

but yeah...

hippa to the hoppa and ya just dont stoppa

i like hispanic folks.

they're good people.

i don't like them as much when they're getting all agro, and going 'yo, what the fuck you lookin at ese? you wanna get fucked up puto'? but then again, that hasen't happend to me, i just saw it in some movies, so yeah, hispanics are all good in my book.

i think we should deport any white person that wears fubu.

i'm not sure where we could 'deport' them too...maybe haiti?

Guest imported_Tesseract

The film's advertising campaign has so far utilized controversial billboards that read, On May 14th There Will Be No Mexicans In California. Almost as quickly as the billboards went up, some began complaining about their controversial text... apparently thinking the signs where sponsored by an anti-Immigrant organization bent on mass deportations!

Thats just dumb, when you have people who deal with issues like that and decide to push it in that way you understand that the whole point is conrtoversy and nothing more.

I'm sure the movie will suck

Originally posted by seeking

I fully expected you to say Australia.

seeks/missed opportunity to give the aussies shit.

:lol:

I still have a certain weakness for latinas and mexican food.

Originally posted by TheoHuxtable

Latinos make up roughly 40% of L.A... Blacks are more like 14%. Whites make up about the same as Latinos because of all the suburbs and outlying areas. However the White percentage continues to fall and the Latino population continues to rise.

It didn't used to be like that. When my dad was growing up in L.A. during the 60's he said he hardly saw Mexicans, except for in East L.A. where they've always been. Since then, they've spread out to areas that were traditionally either white, black, or asian. Go to North Hollywood, Compton, and Chinatown and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yea my statistics are usually off by a couple notches, im pretty bad with numbers.. but seems like you got it on point, so kudo's for that. China town isnt all that far from east LA, so more or less thats an expected sight... times are changing.. mostly for the better.

Originally posted by adderall

a day without a mexican..

havent experienced this day yet

For real. If I dont see one here something is wrong. Even if they did the mass deporting here the whole state of NM would go back.

Oh shit - me too:mexican: :mexican: :mexican: :mexican: :mexican: :mexican: :mexican: :mexican: :mexican: :mexican: :mexican: :mexican:

Yea my statistics are usually off by a couple notches, im pretty bad with numbers.. but seems like you got it on point, so kudo's for that. China town isnt all that far from east LA, so more or less thats an expected sight... times are changing.. mostly for the better.

To say times are changing for the better because Latinos are pushing other ethnic groups out of their areas, leads me to believe that you're either Latino or you're on the Latino nuts very hard.

I have nothing against Latinos. The main cat I roll with in the military is Puerto Rican. And I hung with a lot of Hispanics back in Los Angeles. However, I'm a man that supports equal diversity. I grew up in a diverse area, went to diverse schools, and I'm mixed with 4 different races so I had a very diverse family and upbringing. To see all races get along equally and work together is a beautiful thing and equates to what America is all about. But it's not diversity when one ethnic group and one culture overwhelms an entire area and pushes everyone else out of their areas. South Central Los Angeles, Compton, Inglewood, and Watts are probably roughly 50-60% black now as opposed to when it was over 90% black before it started dropping in the early 80's. Areas like Silver Lake, East Hollywood, San Fernando Valley which were predominantly white are now like 40-50% white. Chinatown, Koreatown, and Little Tokyo is probably like 40-50% Asian as opposed to when it was over 80% Asian. But thankfully, it hasn't gotten like that yet, as L.A. will probably be very diverse for years to come. We still have large White, Black, and Asian sections of L.A.

Just think of it from another perspective. If one race group moved in to East L.A. which has always been traditionally Mexican, and pushed the Mexicans out do you think they'd be okay with that? Mexicans couldn't even stand it when other Hispanic groups started coming in to L.A... when the El Salvadorians started coming in as refugees following their civil war in the 1980's, they faced Mexican discrimination and backlash and were often attacked by Mexican gangs. That's how Mara Salvatrucha Trece was formed to protect themselves from Mexican gangs. Mexicans was the first and only Hispanic group in L.A. for a long time, and when other Hispanic groups came in they didn't like it.

Originally posted by seeking

I dont know if you are joking or being sarcastic, but if you are being stupid, let me say that you should be old enough not to be this fucking stupid. Yay lets deport people just because they wear a certain brand name. I dont support white people wearing fubu, it is rather tasteless, but you have to learn that even how stupid a person dresses, they can still be fucking cool.

And If you were joking just ignore this.

Originally posted by TheoHuxtable

To say times are changing for the better because Latinos are pushing other ethnic groups out of their areas, leads me to believe that you're either Latino or you're on the Latino nuts very hard.

I have nothing against Latinos. The main cat I roll with in the military is Puerto Rican. And I hung with a lot of Hispanics back in Los Angeles. However, I'm a man that supports equal diversity. I grew up in a diverse area, went to diverse schools, and I'm mixed with 4 different races so I had a very diverse family and upbringing. To see all races get along equally and work together is a beautiful thing and equates to what America is all about. But it's not diversity when one ethnic group and one culture overwhelms an entire area and pushes everyone else out of their areas. South Central Los Angeles, Compton, Inglewood, and Watts are probably roughly 50-60% black now as opposed to when it was over 90% black before it started dropping in the early 80's. Areas like Silver Lake, East Hollywood, San Fernando Valley which were predominantly white are now like 40-50% white. Chinatown, Koreatown, and Little Tokyo is probably like 40-50% Asian as opposed to when it was over 80% Asian. But thankfully, it hasn't gotten like that yet, as L.A. will probably be very diverse for years to come. We still have large White, Black, and Asian sections of L.A.

Just think of it from another perspective. If one race group moved in to East L.A. which has always been traditionally Mexican, and pushed the Mexicans out do you think they'd be okay with that? Mexicans couldn't even stand it when other Hispanic groups started coming in to L.A... when the El Salvadorians started coming in as refugees following their civil war in the 1980's, they faced Mexican discrimination and backlash and were often attacked by Mexican gangs. That's how Mara Salvatrucha Trece was formed to protect themselves from Mexican gangs. Mexicans was the first and only Hispanic group in L.A. for a long time, and when other Hispanic groups came in they didn't like it.

Im German, Dutch and French and I don't think that simply stating that because a race has become a prominent fixture in an otherwise unreceptive culture, that finds me in any way "On the Latino Nuts" (real clever by the way).

Ive got a diverse family as well, pretty much ranging from Indonesian to Mexican and every where in between. Things are changing, and like I said I think its for the better. So now instead of having tons of white people,yellow people or black people were gonna have tons of brown people. I think that's great.

Its funny how you mention that "Mexicans couldn't even stand it when other Hispanic groups started coming in to L.A...", as if white people could stand it when black people started to purchase property in Inglewood, or for that matter any area remotely near white familys. (although the majority in Inglewood are just renting property owned by the white land owners). In fact on that note, the majority of white people i know cant even stand other white people moving in around them, If they dont feel the level as far as class and social dynamics are concernced.

Simply because a large group of one ethnicity exsists within an area, does not mean that the whole area, along with all pre exsisting people and culture will suddenly just become washed out (Unless were talking about native americans, and thats an entierly different issue.)

Its nice to know that you have nothing against Latinos. Good for you. I didnt doubt it for a second.

Archived