Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

a classy gift or electronics?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by casekonly, Nov 26, 2003.

1. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

i'm trying to decide what to get my friend for x-mas, a first edition book or an mp3 player...she's a female...she has been talking about the mp3 player, but i think she'd dig the book which has a hefty price tag on it....what do you guys think?

2. amorphic

amorphic Guest

mp3 player is pretty fuckin generic. I'd go for the book.

3. DETO

DETO 12oz Loyalist

4. Gunm

Gunm Banned

The book. technology comes and goes but a book never has to worry about being upgraded to access it smoothly. Open the pages and you're ready to go.

5. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

the problem is that she's been talking about the mp3 player alot, she says, "it'd be the most expensive gift she's getting this x-mas because her folks can't afford to spend much"

i was thinking that she really likes this book, and she's read it hundreds of times, but a first edition would be really cool to put on her bookself...an mp3 player would eventually break, but the book, well, you know?

i'm torn up about it...i dno't know which one...

6. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

here's the link to the book...

BOOK

7. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

get the mp3 player... she'll destroy the book, and it only has the price tag that it has because it's been preserved so far, so, let somebody that will truly preserve the book handle that end, get her the player and she'll be stoked, if you guys end up together forever you can get her the book for an anniversary or birthday in the future... respect liturature...

8. old*824

old*824 Senior Member

i thought electronics was a classy gift...but uh.....i guess it is compared to a dildo. however if she has been talking about an mp3 player...she prolly wants an mp3 player so she can listen to music wherever she goes...so whichever shes talked more about id say get. but its not like an mp3 player is a bad gift, its a compact music device. i still rock a discman.

9. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

you may be correct, but we're both in our mid-twenties, i think she'd take care of a nice book like that. maybe the book can wait until her birthday....it's only a few months after x-mas..

anyway, thanks for all of the advice...

10. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Ah, and looking at the auction... no way... first off, he doesn't use any 'book terms'... books are rated ... 'mint, near mint...fine...etc...' and he offers none of that, he also doesn't mention the condition of the spine, which is important to collectors...

Probably not an out and out fraud but, it's not the original 'first edition'... I wouldn't even suggest picking that up, and I think you'll be suprised at what it actually sells for, most don't know, now you do... act accordingly.

*that is to say, it's a nice edition, but I still think it's the first edition of a reprint, the engravings are nice but... see how the bottom flick is the book splayed out like that, nobody that truly sold nice books would ever do that, that is the way you 'break the spine'

11. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

thanks, Smart. any advice on finding a nice edition of "alice in wonderland"? apparently, uou know what you're talking about.

12. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

hahaha, record your voice on the mp3 thing, then give it to her

13. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

well, just off hand I can tell you that you're talking about the price of a small car... go for the electronics, I can probably look around here in the next week or so and dig up some real info... well, couple of weeks but, yeah... expect large numbers...

14. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

but, hey, on the flip, you could probably find that edition for something like $75 - $150 in your local area (those are seriously just guess though, still... probably)... the engravings look good so, maybe you should think about that edition for a little lower price tag...

15. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

ok, Smart i've got a price range for you, the price of a nice mp3 player (that takes cd's so she can change them on-the-fly instead of having to upload) would be between 65 and 100 u.s. dollars, what could you find in regards to "alice in wonderland"?

your help is very much appreciated. thanks, man.