Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

_____SONIC|YOUTH______

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by MagatsuTaito, Sep 26, 2003.

1. MagatsuTaito

MagatsuTaito Junior Member

SONIC YOUTH

http://www.rockpalast.de/bilder/sonic02/sonic_youth.gif'>

[img]http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fredd.v/images/sonic%20youth.jpg'>

A product of New York's experimental "No-Wave" scene, Sonic Youth first
    recorded under the auspices of avant garde guitarist Glenn Branca. Thurston Moore
    (b. 25 July 1958, Coral Gables, Florida, USA; guitar), Lee Ranaldo
    (b. 3 February 1956, Glen Cove, New York, USA; guitar) and Kim Gordon
    (b. 28 April 1953, Rochester, New York, USA; bass) performed together on Branca's
    Symphony No. 3, while the band debuted in its own right on his Neutral label. Sonic
    Youth was recorded live at New York's Radio City Music Hall in December 1981 and featured
    original drummer Richard Edson. Three further collections, Confusion Is Sex, Sonic Death
    and a mini-album, Kill Yr Idols, completed the quartet's formative period, which was
    marked by their pulsating blend of discordant guitars, impassioned vocals and ferocious,
    compulsive drum patterns, courtesy of newcomer Jim Sclavunos, or his replacement, Bob Bert
    . Bad Moon Rising was the first Sonic Youth album to secure a widespread release in both
    the USA and Britain. This acclaimed set included the compulsive "I'm Insane" and the eerie
    "Death Valley '69", a collaboration with Lydia Lunch, which invoked the horror of the
    infamous Charles Manson murders.

Bob Bert was then replaced by Steve Shelley
    (b. 23 June 1962, Midland, Michigan, USA), who has remained
    with the line-up ever since. In 1986, the band unleashed EVOL,
    which refined their ability to mix melody with menace, particularly
    on the outstanding "Shadow Of A Doubt". The album also introduced the band's
    tongue-in-cheek fascination with Madonna. "Expressway To Yr Skull" was given two
    alternative titles, "Madonna, Sean And Me" and "The Cruxifiction Of Sean Penn". Later
    in the year the band were joined by Mike Watt from fIREHOSE in Ciccone Youth, which
    resulted in a mutated version of "Into The Groove(y)' and 1989"s Ciccone Youth, which
    combined dance tracks with experimental sounds redolent of German groups Faust and Neu.

Sonic Youth's career continued with the highly impressive Sister, followed in 1988 by
    Daydream Nation, a double set that allowed the band to expand themes when required. Once
    again, the result was momentous. The instrumentation was powerful, recalling the intensity
    of the Velvet Underground or Can, while the songs themselves were highly memorable.

In 1990, Sonic Youth left the independent circuit by signing with the Geffen Records
    stable, going on to establish a reputation as godfathers to the alternative US rock scene
    with powerful albums such as Goo, Dirty and A Thousand Leaves. The independently released
    Syr mini-albums, meanwhile, document the band's restless experimentalism. Jim O'Rourke,
    a collaborator since 1997, joined the band as a full-time member on 2002's Murray Street.
    The album took its name from the New York street where the band's studio, Echo Canyon,
    is located.

In keeping with Sonic Youth's legendary reputation, Thurston Moore was instrumental
    in the signing of Nirvana to Geffen Records, while Kim Gordon was similarly pivotal
    in the formation of Hole. Steve Shelley would also work closely with Geffen on a number
    of acts. Successive stints on Lollapalooza tours helped to make Sonic Youth the nation's
    best-known underground band, while the group's members continued to collaborate on music
    and soundtrack projects to a degree that ensured the continuation of an already vast
    discography. Moore also runs his own underground record label, Ecstatic Peace!.

[img]http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/sy/soulgirl.gif'>

[img]http://www.hikin.com/eshop/img/item/61_s.jpg'>
    [i]Ciccone Youth[/i]
    Def a rad band worth listening to. They have some really interesting sounds. Word.

Does anyone else appreciate them?

2. I appreciate, they're dope live to

3. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

4. MagatsuTaito

I was at this second hand record store the other day and i was searching through these old videos lying around and i found a this sonic youth video. Its the album 'Goo' and all of the film clips for the songs. Really rad and it was only 10 bucks

5. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

some of their shit annoys the fuck out of me, but
    alot of their recent shit is amazing. no doubt jim
    'the total music overlord' o'rourke has somethin' to do
    with it.
    zitzo bumpsz

6. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

seen them.
    I used to have many Exclusive Music Marathons with my Sonic Youth Tapes.

I've got an old 7" record called 'Ciccone Youth' with them covering
    Madonna's 'In to the groove'. It's a great listen and probably on the
    p2p networks by now. Back in the day you had to OWN the record to hear it.
    That was nice.

7. kido

kido Senior Member

big influence by friends. but I like them a lot.

8. I have it on a weird sonic youth 'best of" kinda thing...That song is fuckin amazing..wonk saggin

9. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

Their cover of Madonna's Get Into the Groove is absolutely badass.....

10. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

and the Mike Watt track on the b-side was really nice too!

11. $360

$360 Elite Member

does anyone remember when he(mike watt) did a song with eddie vedder and dave ghrol?something about the 70's?ive been looking for that song and havent been able to find it. maybe someone can help.

anyhoo, still on the top 10 fav CD list:
    [​IMG]

12. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

Yes good stuff...
    I've been meaning to pick up more of their catalog, all I have is EJS,T&NS.

13. MagatsuTaito

I have ciccone youth on vinyl and just today i got bad moon rising for ten bucks

14. villain

villain Veteran Member

Damn I almost forgot about Ciccone Youth.

15. MagatsuTaito