_____SONIC|YOUTH______

MagatsuTaito

SONIC YOUTH

http://www.rockpalast.de/bilder/sonic02/sonic_youth.gif'>

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fredd.v/images/sonic%20youth.jpg'>

A product of New York's experimental "No-Wave" scene, Sonic Youth first

recorded under the auspices of avant garde guitarist Glenn Branca. Thurston Moore

(b. 25 July 1958, Coral Gables, Florida, USA; guitar), Lee Ranaldo

(b. 3 February 1956, Glen Cove, New York, USA; guitar) and Kim Gordon

(b. 28 April 1953, Rochester, New York, USA; bass) performed together on Branca's

Symphony No. 3, while the band debuted in its own right on his Neutral label. Sonic

Youth was recorded live at New York's Radio City Music Hall in December 1981 and featured

original drummer Richard Edson. Three further collections, Confusion Is Sex, Sonic Death

and a mini-album, Kill Yr Idols, completed the quartet's formative period, which was

marked by their pulsating blend of discordant guitars, impassioned vocals and ferocious,

compulsive drum patterns, courtesy of newcomer Jim Sclavunos, or his replacement, Bob Bert

. Bad Moon Rising was the first Sonic Youth album to secure a widespread release in both

the USA and Britain. This acclaimed set included the compulsive "I'm Insane" and the eerie

"Death Valley '69", a collaboration with Lydia Lunch, which invoked the horror of the

infamous Charles Manson murders.

Bob Bert was then replaced by Steve Shelley

(b. 23 June 1962, Midland, Michigan, USA), who has remained

with the line-up ever since. In 1986, the band unleashed EVOL,

which refined their ability to mix melody with menace, particularly

on the outstanding "Shadow Of A Doubt". The album also introduced the band's

tongue-in-cheek fascination with Madonna. "Expressway To Yr Skull" was given two

alternative titles, "Madonna, Sean And Me" and "The Cruxifiction Of Sean Penn". Later

in the year the band were joined by Mike Watt from fIREHOSE in Ciccone Youth, which

resulted in a mutated version of "Into The Groove(y)' and 1989"s Ciccone Youth, which

combined dance tracks with experimental sounds redolent of German groups Faust and Neu.

Sonic Youth's career continued with the highly impressive Sister, followed in 1988 by

Daydream Nation, a double set that allowed the band to expand themes when required. Once

again, the result was momentous. The instrumentation was powerful, recalling the intensity

of the Velvet Underground or Can, while the songs themselves were highly memorable.

In 1990, Sonic Youth left the independent circuit by signing with the Geffen Records

stable, going on to establish a reputation as godfathers to the alternative US rock scene

with powerful albums such as Goo, Dirty and A Thousand Leaves. The independently released

Syr mini-albums, meanwhile, document the band's restless experimentalism. Jim O'Rourke,

a collaborator since 1997, joined the band as a full-time member on 2002's Murray Street.

The album took its name from the New York street where the band's studio, Echo Canyon,

is located.

In keeping with Sonic Youth's legendary reputation, Thurston Moore was instrumental

in the signing of Nirvana to Geffen Records, while Kim Gordon was similarly pivotal

in the formation of Hole. Steve Shelley would also work closely with Geffen on a number

of acts. Successive stints on Lollapalooza tours helped to make Sonic Youth the nation's

best-known underground band, while the group's members continued to collaborate on music

and soundtrack projects to a degree that ensured the continuation of an already vast

discography. Moore also runs his own underground record label, Ecstatic Peace!.

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/sy/soulgirl.gif'>

http://www.hikin.com/eshop/img/item/61_s.jpg'>

Ciccone Youth

Def a rad band worth listening to. They have some really interesting sounds. Word.

Does anyone else appreciate them?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

some of their shit annoys the fuck out of me, but

alot of their recent shit is amazing. no doubt jim

'the total music overlord' o'rourke has somethin' to do

with it.

zitzo bumpsz

Originally posted by Tesseract

I appreciate, they're dope live to

seen them.

I used to have many Exclusive Music Marathons with my Sonic Youth Tapes.

I've got an old 7" record called 'Ciccone Youth' with them covering

Madonna's 'In to the groove'. It's a great listen and probably on the

p2p networks by now. Back in the day you had to OWN the record to hear it.

That was nice.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Kilo7-

I've got an old 7" record called 'Ciccone Youth' with them covering

Madonna's 'In to the groove'. It's a great listen and probably on the

p2p networks by now. Back in the day you had to OWN the record to hear it.

That was nice.

I have it on a weird sonic youth 'best of" kinda thing...That song is fuckin amazing..wonk saggin

Originally posted by Kilo7-

and the Mike Watt track on the b-side was really nice too!

does anyone remember when he(mike watt) did a song with eddie vedder and dave ghrol?something about the 70's?ive been looking for that song and havent been able to find it. maybe someone can help.

anyhoo, still on the top 10 fav CD list:

http://www.inkblotmagazine.com/rev-archive/images/ca_Sonic_Youth_Daydream_Nation.jpg'>

Archived