99 bottles -the beer drinkers thread

Raw fish

Add to the list anything unusal you have tried...

the list for tonight... (it wasnt all just me)

Norfolk Nog - old ale, the best that ever was

Theakstons Old Peculier - another old ale, easier to find, mild nut flavor, kinda like New Castle, but more flavorful

Rogue Old Crustacean - a barley wine, THICK, dark, dry, burly... "there'a a lobster in my pants"

Sam Smiths Imperial Stout - makes me feel like royalty... really nutty, dark, mild fruit taste, yet refreshing

New England Oatmeal Stout - silky smooth, a velvety stout, well rounded brew

Brooklyn Nut Brown - its a nut brown ale, done in perfection, about to become my new favorite

Anchor Steam - lighter than the above, yet still flavorful, smooth with a suttle kick

Ommegong - Belgium Abby ale, translated means "Oh my God!" Prepare to have your ass kicked...

More latter as the oppurtunity arises to try something new...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Canadiano

damn, those are damn unusual beers.

I'll just list some beers that I've had in the past bit:

Red Cap (Brick Brewing)

Molson Triple XXX (my favourite)

Mississippi Mud

Old Speckled Hen

Bavaria

fuck, I can't remember past 5 days ago...

"mmmmm.....beer"

Beer Ingredients

Malted Barley

Malt is the heart and soul of a beer, the determining factor in its essential character -- its color, body, flavor, and strength. Like spinning straw into gold, the malting process transforms barley into aromatic malt, full of the fermentable sugars needed to feed hungry yeast cells. The process itself has been the same for nearly six millennia: the barley is soaked in water until germination occurs, the partially sprouted grain is then kiln-dried and roasted. The finished product -- the grains of roasted malt -- look like tiny coffee beans. The heat used to dry the malted grain creates the final aroma, flavor, and color of the malt. Depending on the heat and duration of the roasting, the final malt product could produce anything from a straw gold pilsner to an opaque black stout. As a general principle, the more malt used in the brewing, the more flavorful the beer.

Hops

Hops contribute to a beer's flavor and aroma and serve as a natural preservative. The acids contained in the hop flowers give beer its bitterness; their oils endow a delicate floral aroma. Over 100 hop varieties are grown throughout the world, but if you're searching for a heady aroma and a spicy taste, look for a beer brewed with the choicest hops in the world - hop varieties known as Noble hops.

The two Noble hops used to brew Samuel Adams Boston Lager are Tettnang Tettnanger and Bavarian Hallertau Mittelfrueh. These Noble hops can cost up to twenty times as much as other, coarser hops, and they can only be grown in three small areas in middle Europe.

There are four types of Noble hops grown. The other two types are Saaz (from Bohemia, now in the Czech Republic) and Spalt Spalt. These four Noble hops are all used in Samuel Adams lager styles.

Growing hops for beer is much like growing grapes for wine -- the soil, the climate, and the farmer's care of the vines greatly affect the taste and aroma of the delicate hop flowers. Noble hops have been cultivated for centuries, defining beer through the ages.

Yeast

Yeast plays a very important role in the brewing of beer -- it defines whether a brew is classified as a lager or an ale. A yeast strain called Saccharomyces uvarum produces smooth, elegant lagers; another strain, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, makes hearty, robust ales.

Yeast is responsible for producing the alcohol contained in the beer, as well as its natural carbonation. The yeast consumes the sugars from the malt and converts them into carbon dioxide and alcohol. In fact, you could say that brewers merely make food for yeast -- the yeast makes the beer.

Water

Contrary to popular belief, water is actually the least important ingredient in beer. As long as it is clean, it is fine for brewing. Historically, the water supply available to brewers determined which styles of beer they could brew. However, with modern water treatment capabilities, the mineral content in water can be tuned to meet the needs of any style of beer.

Just some info...more to come, i plan to educate us all in beer before the end of my time here.

Guest Ted Wakowski

Mckewan's Scottish Ale (sp?) is quite tasty.

There's this other beer I had not long ago that's mixed with another, sweeter drink. It seemed to be rather lovely on its own or in the mixed form. Can't remember the name.

Pilsner Urquell is tough to front on.

But forget what you've heard, Milwaukee's Best is as exotic as it gets ...

DOUBLE DIAMOND: Hand-crafted English ale with a deep amber color, caramel-like nose and creamy full-bodied taste. Named the "Supreme Champion of Beer," the highest honor in British brewing.

I tried this recently in some hole in the wall pub..and liked it :)

Likewise, I'll drink lager when I'm a weak old man and can't stomach a real brew. :)

Prize Old Ale owns. Anchor Steam isn't too bad, for a paler beer. Murphy's irish stout is good.

Archived