767 plane crash

fr8oholic

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Plane Crashes in Queens, N.Y.

c. The Associated Press

NEW YORK (Nov. 12) - An American Airlines Airbus A300 crashed Monday morning in the Queens section of New York, and buildings reportedly were on fire in the neighborhood.

The plane crashed shortly after 9 a.m. and thick, black smoke could be seen miles away.

All metro area airports were closed following the crash, in the Rockaways section of Queens.

The mayor canceled his morning events and headed to the scene.

One eyewitness reported debris falling from sky, and told the Fox News Channel four homes were on fire.

Another told CNN he was 40 blocks away and saw ''Just a lot of smoke. Tons and tons of smoke. You can see emergency vehicles heading to area. Lots of people are standing in the streets. It's very tense.''

The cause of the crash was not immediately known.

The crash came two months after the attack on the World Trade Center, which was destroyed by two Boeing 767s hijacked out of Boston's Logan Airport. One of the planes was operated by American, the other by United.

Plane Down in Queens 2 Mins After TakeOff... AirTraffic Control: No Warning... Near Kennedy Airport... All Area Airports Closed... Bound for Santo Domingo in Dominican Republic... Eyewitness: 'Debris Falling From Sky'... All City Bridges and Tunnels Closed... Number of people aboard unknown... 12 buildings on ground burning...

There are two crash sites ... one where the engine landed and where the actual place landed - according to Guliani.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

NEW YORK, Nov. 12 — An American Airlines flight from New York to the Dominican Republic crashed shortly after takeoff from John F. Kennedy on Monday, and at least four homes reportedly were on fire in the Queens section of New York City.

THE AIRBUS A300 crashed shortly after 9 a.m. in the Rockaways section of Queens on Long Island, sending up a thick plume of black smoke that could be seen miles away.

Bill Schumann of the Federal Aviation Administration said there was no immediate indication of what caused the crash and other U.S. government officials told NBC News there was no evidence to suggest that terrorists brought down the jet.

Schumann said the plane could hold up to 275 passengers, and crashed about five miles from Kennedy Airport. There was no immediate indication how many people were on board the plane.

Sources told NBC News that U.S. military flights on routine patrol over New York City had no indication the jet was in trouble before the crash.

Though there was no suggestion that the crash was caused by terrorists, city officials closed JFK and La Guardia Airport, which also is Queens, were shut the subway and all bridges and tunnels as a precaution.

A witness, Debby Ciuffo, told NBC affiliate WNYC that it appeared that an engine on the plane exploded before the crash.

“It started spinning and went nose down (into the ground),” she said.

The flight was scheduled to leave at 8:00 a.m. but the takeoff was delayed until 9:15 a.m.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

alot of news sites are jammed so i'm posting a few i can reach here...

N E W Y O R K, Nov. 12 — An American Airlines jet departing from John F. Kennedy International Airport crashed in a heavily populated section of the New York City borough of Queens at 9:17 a.m. ET, emergency officials said. There were no confirmed reports on the number of passengers and crew on board.

The jet, an Airbus A300, departed JFK at 9:15 a.m., officials said, when it crashed into an area populated with many homes and businesses. The American Airlines Web site said Flight 587 was headed for Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic.

According to one federal source, 247 passengers and nine crew were on board the jet. There were no explanations for the crash.

The plane crashed in the Rockaways section of Queens. Thick black smoke could be seen billowing above the crash site for miles and several buildings were said to be on fire. Emergency crews raced to the scene, and fire crews were battling dozens of small structure fires on the ground as well as training several heavy water lines on the main body of fire.

Jackie Power, an eyewitness, said she and her husband were walking their dog on this clear morning in Rockaway when she reported seeing an explosion and flash on the right side of the plane where the wing meets the fuselage, and the the plane just plunged straight down.

"There was what looked liked fire or an explosion and debris fell from that side of the plane and it just plummeted and we heard this enormous crash," she said. "I've never seen anything so terrible."

Another eyewitness said he saw an engine falling off before the plane hit the ground.

Harriet Cohen, a Queens resident who lives near the airport and about 10 blocks from the crash site, said she was eating breakfast in her home when she thought she heard the Concorde leaving the airport. After hearing a terrible bang, she told her husband: "Oh my, I think it must have broken the sound barrier." But then the house shook, Cohen said. "I looked outside, and 10 blocks from us, there was black thick smoke rising up into the sky."

Minutes after the crash, all three New York City-area airports — Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark — were closed. Airports in Washington, D.C., remained open.

Mayor Rudolph Giuliani canceled his morning events and headed to the scene. The incident comes two months after two hijacked jets rammed into the World Trade Center in Manhattan killing about 4,500.

Guest imported_SecretAgentX9

ok, this is getting really old really quick. my ulcer is punching itself right now.

walking down 47th st to work i am hearing mad planes (fighters) not knowing what they are or what is going on.. now i know.. fucking hell, so now im stuck in my cube staring at the grey walls with more police outside than i know what to do with.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

should i stop posting this ish?

American Airlines Flight 587 crashes on takeoff in NYC borough of Queens

The flight, an Airbus A300 left JFK airport for Dominican Republic

NYC Port Authority: 246 passengers, 9 crew

Firefighter reports engine fell from plane, others report explosion

NYC Mayor Giuliani says two crash sites; 12 buildings affected

All NYC area airports closed, bridges and tunnels leading into city closed

New York Fire Department dispatches 44 trucks, 200 firefighters

The Pentagon said surveillance flights in the area; no unusual activity reported

American Airlines information number: 1-800-245-0999

Asked if terrorism was suspected, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Bill Schumann said, "All options are open at this time. We have very limited information."

The United Nations went into a partial lockdown after the crash. No cars or pedestrians were allowed to enter the United Nations, which is holding the high-level General Assembly debate.

Guest imported_SecretAgentX9

Re: should i stop posting this ish?

Originally posted by Dusty Lipschitz

The United Nations went into a partial lockdown after the crash. No cars or pedestrians were allowed to enter the United Nations, which is holding the high-level General Assembly debate.

i am looking at this lockdown as we speak..

taken from cnn.com

-- An American Airlines jet with 255 people on board crashed Monday in a residential neighborhood after taking off from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport.

American Airlines Flight 587, an Airbus A300, went down at 9:17 a.m. EST in the Rockaway section of the New York City borough of Queens about five miles from Kennedy airport.

The plane was en route to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. American Airlines said the plane was carrying 246 passengers and nine crew members.

National Transportation Safety Board Chairwoman Marion Blakey said investigators had found the plane's flight data recorder.

A senior Bush administration official told CNN initial indications are that there was an explosion aboard the plane but that the source of the explosion is unknown.

White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer said there had been no unusual communications with the cockpit. Asked if there were any indications of terrorism, Fleischer said "We have not ruled anything in; we have not ruled anything out."

Fleischer said President Bush had spoken with New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Gov. George Pataki and told them the federal government would do everything it could to help.

Giuliani said there were two crash sites -- one where the plane landed and another where an engine landed. Both were about six blocks from a school building. The school was closed for the Veterans Day holiday.

At least four houses were on fire, and a huge plume of smoke could be seen rising from the sites. The New York Fire Department dispatched 44 firetrucks and 200 firefighters to the scene. Giuliani declared a Level One emergency, mobilizing all available police, fire and emergency personnel.

An eyewitness told CNN, "I was in my kitchen ... and I saw the plane hit the house behind my house. It was so low, I was ducking almost, then huge fireballs, and I jumped out of the ... window of my house.

"I ran right across the street ... it's unbelievable," she said, overcome by emotion. "It sounded like two planes. It was flying too low, and then it hit. It was like a bomb exploded." (Full story)

Giuliani said his first response to the crash was, "Oh my God."

Latest developments

• There is "no indication" of what caused Flight 587 to crash, American Airlines chairman and CEO said Monday. Donald Carty said the crash came at a "difficult time" for the airline and the nation -- two months after four jets, including two American Airlines planes, were hijacked and crashed by terrorists.

• Carty said the last maintenance "A-check" on the plane was performed Sunday. A heavier maintenance check was done October 3, and the jet's last major overhaul was in December 1999. Another overhaul was scheduled for July 2002.

• All three New York-area airports -- Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark -- closed after the crash. Kennedy was reopened for the arrival of flights already in the air.

• Both national and international air traffic were affected. In Los Angeles, California, airport officials said flights to the three New York-area airports were grounded. British Airways said it had two flights en route to New York at the time of the crash. A spokesman said those planes would be diverted. A Lufthansa flight to New York was grounded.

• All of New York's bridges and tunnels were closed after the crash, but they were later reopened to outbound traffic.

• CNN confirmed Bush postponed a scheduled meeting with Russian and American reporters so he could meet with advisers to discuss the crash. "The president is on top of it. They're alert; they're watching everything else all over the country," Giuliani said. "So I think people should remain absolutely calm. This can be handled, and we're just being tested one more time. We're going to pass this test, too."

• A senior FBI official said there had been no intelligence gathered and no threats made, "nothing to indicate this was an act of terrorism."

• The Pentagon said surveillance flights were going on in the area at the time of the crash and nothing unusual had been spotted.

• The United Nations went into a partial lockdown after the crash. The U.N. Security Council's president issued a statement expressing shock at the news of the crash and offering "heartfelt sympathies to the people of the United States and families of those who lost their lives." (Full story)

• The Empire State Building was evacuated as a security precaution.

• About 200 family members of passengers on the plane were waiting at the Las Americas International Airport in Santo Domingo, said Dominican customs official Evelyn Aredondo. "People are watching TV, waiting to hear something," she said. "They are very upset."

• American Airlines set up a telephone number for family members to call for information. The number is 1-800-245-0999

alot of info to read over...:mad:

Archived