63yr old tagger caught!!!!

Guest spectr

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graffiti vigilante's motives don't matter

02/24/04

H e was the city's most-wanted graffiti outlaw, a tireless spray-painter known for the trademark metallic donuts that have sullied hundreds of walls, signs and poles.

Police called him "Silver Circle." A mysterious nickname, to be sure. But now, two weeks after an officer caught the vandal in the act, it appears "Graffiti Geezer" would have been a more fitting nom de paint.

Silver Circle, it turns out, is 63. That's right: Six. Three. In fact, the suspect, Ronald Engman, is a month from 64: Old enough to be the grandfather of many a young'un picked up for defacing property in Portland.

For two months straight, Silver Circle has owned the top spot on the city's list of the most prolific taggers. So you can imagine neighborhood crime fighters were thrilled to nab him.

At the same time, Engman's age "was quite shocking," says Officer Jami Resch of the Neighborhood Emergency Response Team.

Engman's wife, JoAnn, was shocked for another reason. "He has always fought against graffiti," she says of her husband, who couldn't be reached for comment. "He even caught a guy once."

There's also this: Engman sits on the City Council in Johnson City, a tiny, charted city of mobile homes just south of Portland.

But police say there is no doubt they have their tagger, since Officer Jim McMurray caught Engman in the act of leaving his mark in the Buckman neighborhood on the night of Feb. 9.

McMurray says Engman confessed that he painted at least 1,000 of the silver circles over existing tags. Apparently, he was actually making an anti-graffiti statement.

Engman has been a graffiti victim in the past. "He was on a crusade," McMurray says.

Of course, that matters little in the eyes of the law. Once the circles are counted, police plan to charge Engman on hundreds of counts of criminal mischief.

"The type of paint he was using is actually harder to remove than the tags underneath," Resch says.

HOLY SHIT THEY FINALLY CAUGHT HIM!

I live where he was up. This guy was a major shitbag; he went over all kinds of shit in every area of the city and every suburb with circles of silver.. he dissed so much shit... he ruined so many things... Thanks for posting this link.

one itme i was waiting for the bus and i see across the street this old dude hitting up on a bus shelter so i go up and i say whats up. this dude was some foreighner who thought it was his civic duty to write ""alcohol is bad" and he did not nderstand that it was a crime to write on shit. he said "how can it be a crime, this stuff belongs to everyone." then i started to cry. this old man was my dad

Originally posted by radical oner

one itme i was waiting for the bus and i see across the street this old dude hitting up on a bus shelter so i go up and i say whats up. this dude was some foreighner who thought it was his civic duty to write ""alcohol is bad" and he did not nderstand that it was a crime to write on shit. he said "how can it be a crime, this stuff belongs to everyone." then i started to cry. this old man was my dad

Your story sucks about as much as your photos

hey rubbish got any flicks of what this guy did that you might want to post i want to see what his shit looked like. i really hope that this dude gets charged just as hard as any of us would.

never mind i saw a picture in brickslayers dam man someone this guy really wrecked didnt he i talked to some people i know out there and they told me this guy was up almost everywhere kinda funny how some people spend years trying to get up everywhere and some old dude does it becuase he hates grafitti. someone should do mad free silver circle tags around the city.

Originally posted by LENS

Your story sucks about as much as your photos

i have never posted photos. im not one of those brorods who doesnt tag and just sucks on other writers penis's and doesnt write but lives through other writers by taking pictures. but then again i dont knwo who you are. and you ahve never seen my amazing phots. and your heckza gay!