6/4 Tattoo appt - looking for a reference

Gianluca

Hey everyone, on June 4th I have an appt with my tattoo artist to get my newest piece done & was hoping someone could direct me to some references. Here is a pic of a Philly tat done in as in the city landscape new school style.Looking for stuff like this not tattoo just drawings/art etc.

wpid_screenshot_2015_04_17_21_18_482_jpg.jpg.390074565d9c3f8c2fac5609b81c0f67.jpg

Basically my tattoo is going to be on my right shoulder. It's going to be like the city in the link. A skyline of buildings ( that pic is just a reference ) and I want my artist to add a bridge in there. Above the city will be a night scene such as stars etc and flying from and above the skyline will be a paper airplane then written out above that will be "Dream Big" in graffiti.

Now here's the catch....right to the side somewhat below that scene will be a graffiti artist and it'll look like he just basically tagged that skyline on my back. The artist who's doing this has done some nice new school work so I'm excited about this piece.

Now my question for anyone willing to help me is can you either post, link me to, etc some pics like the one in the link I provided. I gave the artist my concept & said take creative control. I believe an artist should incorporate his style but that's just my opinion. He wanted me to email him some ideas ( im a sooners fan so I sent him a pic of the OU logo bc I want the guy wearing an OU hat ) but city wise like in the link I really can't find much. It doesn't already need to be a tattoo just anything that I can look at for inspiration would be much appreciated. Thanks again for any info anyone can provide!

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Personally, i think this sounds like a ridiculous tattoo. Nothing is more corny than graffiti tattoos. Having said that; i can't even come close to imagining what this thing is going to look like because you are asking for so many things. Its a city with a bridge at night with a paper plane in the sky with some cliche self help quote written on it and all this is being spray painted by some guy on the side? I feel bad for your artist because if he accepted what you were describing he sounds like he can't deliver what you want, a professional would tell you to simplify it to a few of the things you want the most. This is a clusterfuck and i doubt the artist will be able to deliver.

Additionally, if you cant come up with resources to provide the artist and you are unable to give us an idea of what you want; what makes you think we could help you?

Cancel your appointment. Go to the tattoo thread and look at the work in there. Find an artist you like and have him/her give you something that merges their aesthetic with your idea (hopefully not this one).

Now i just saved you from becoming the owner of an awful tattoo.

Yup.

Your idea is stupid and you've clearly picked an artist whose primary concern is taking your dollars, not giving you a good tattoo.

Which, if you're insistent on combining all that shit into one tattoo, cannot be executed well.

Cut all the graffiti bullshit out, cut out the paper airplane, cut the text, and get a panther or other large cat with some roses, a grim reaper, a shark, or some skulls.

• Like 2

k, I cancelled it and will be like everyone else and get the cliche skull & dagger. I figured of all places there would be some creativity/open minds but thats my own bad for asking a question on the internet.

In defense of the artist how can you rip on him for an idea that he can execute and you can't even take a second to sit back and really think about it? Half the tattoo is already done as shown above. Your basically adding words, a plane and a person to something that already exists. New School is a style in the world of tattoos and what better way to pay homage? Thats my opinion and I'm entitled to it like y'all are entitled to yours. God Bless the Internet!

This has nothing to do with open minds.

You're saying that because someone doesn't like your idea they have a closed mind.

I'll apply Godwin's Law immediately: Do you like Hitler's ideas? No? Well then you're closed minded...

There is a difference between timeless and cliche. You don't have an open enough mind to understand.

Also, you are terrible at explaining things. Is the tattoo image above being added onto or is it the inspiration for what you want? Are you adding graffiti text (which is retarded) to that script style? Why would you do that? Is your arm a collection of fonts you found on Etsy that you like?

• Like 1

k, I cancelled it and will be like everyone else and get the cliche skull & dagger. I figured of all places there would be some creativity/open minds but thats my own bad for asking a question on the internet.

In defense of the artist how can you rip on him for an idea that he can execute and you can't even take a second to sit back and really think about it? Half the tattoo is already done as shown above. Your basically adding words, a plane and a person to something that already exists. New School is a style in the world of tattoos and what better way to pay homage? Thats my opinion and I'm entitled to it like y'all are entitled to yours. God Bless the Internet!

Dude, i just gave you real advice. If you have your heart set on getting this tattoo get it. Many of us are artists ourselves and know a thing or two about tattoos. The subject you gave the artist is overwhelming with too many moving parts. The picture you linked is broken on my end so i could not see it, if it was working i cant imagine i would like what i see.

It is great that you value creativity but creativity and execution are very different things.

This is some of the most sound advice you will ever hear.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...