50 greatest hip hop groups/artrists of all time

nick5542

this is some bullshit, i was flippin through channels today and vh1 had this show on. it was the 50 greatest hip hop artists of alltime and it was hosted by p. diddy. i only caught number 1-2 but my friend told me about the rest. number 1 was run dmc which isnt that bad but puffy was number 10 and ja rule was pretty high too. they both ranked higher than tribe called quest, rakim, krs one. that is complete bullshit, there is no way puffy and ja rule are more important to hip hop than some of the fucking pioneers. just goes to show what bullshit mainstream is. shit makes me mad :mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i just be like what you fuckheads know about that new riddlore LP niggggggggggggggaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ugh

heiroglyphics ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 93 til infinity kill all that whack shit

yo what the hell does VH1, Viacoms bastard child shit experiment gone wrong, know about hip hop anyway.

Guest KING BLING

More than a musical style, hip-hop is a history of American culture, and a testimony by its artists of their life experiences. In 1985, when Run-DMC ordained themselves the “Kings of Rock,” in their lyrics of their hit song of the same name, they probably never imagined that one day they would be recognized as such. As the pioneers of hip-hop music, they convinced the world to dance to poetry with a beatbox. They invited anyone who would listen to “Walk This Way” in “My Adidas,” all the way to the top of VH1’s list of the “50 Greatest Hip-Hop Artists.” And in the words of the great Run-DMC themselves, “It’s like that! And that’s the way it is! Huh!”

Hosted by hip-hop music mogul Sean “P-Diddy” Combs, the two-hour special features provocative interviews with hip-hop music legends Afrika Bambaataa, Chuck D., Grandmaster Flash, MC Hammer and KRS-One. Newer artists interviewed include Snoop Dogg, OutKast, Busta Rhymes, Eve, and Nelly. Each offer a unique perspective that pays homage to their predecessors, speaks to future of the music, and proof that hip-hop music has woven itself into the fabric of American music and culture.

VH1’s “50 Greatest Hip-Hop Artists” serves as a platform for hip-hop music’s superstars of the past, present and future to acknowledge their hip-hop peers.

In our “Greatest” tradition, “50 Greatest Hip-Hop Artists” features archival clips, classic performances and exclusive interviews with the some of the world’s greatest entertainers. It also represents VH1’s recognition of hip-hop music as a significant music form and the integration of the genre into our music programming repertoire.

Check out the list:

50. Sugarhill Gang

49. Tone Loc

48. Kool Moe Dee

47. Arrested Development

46. Eve

45. Heavy D & The Boyz

44. MC Hammer

43. Coolio

42. Kurtis Blow

41. MC Lyte

40. Gang Starr

39. Ja Rule

38. Biz Markie

37. The Roots

36. Master P

35. Big Daddy Kane

34. Lil’ Kim

33. De La Soul

32. Cypress Hill

31. Naughty By Nature

30. Will Smith & DJ Jazzy Jeff

29. Nelly

28. Busta Rhymes

27. A Tribe Called Quest

26. Ice Cube

25. Snoop Dogg

24. Queen Latifah

23. OutKast

22. DMX

21. KRS-One

20. Eric B. & Rakim

19. Nas

18. Afrika Bambaataa

17. The Fugees & Lauryn Hill

16. Ice-T

15. Wu-Tang Clan

14. Missy Elliott

13. N.W.A.

12. P. Diddy

11. Beastie Boys

10. Jay-Z

9. Salt-N-Pepa

8. Grandmaster Flash

7. Dr. Dre

6. Eminem

5. LL Cool J

4. Notorious B.I.G.

3. Tupac Shakur

2. Public Enemy

1. Run-DMC

http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/the_greatest/...ode_about.jhtml

only 15 year old kids still get mad about shit like this, which for the most part, was pretty on point.

self jupiter wack? ha. you must be new to this. afterlife is dope, but if they were the only emcees on earth, and thus couldnt make every single song about how someone is biting thhem, they'd be pretty hard pressed for material.

Originally posted by Version 2.0

Somehow, i view gang starr as being a bit better than DMX at the whole rap thing.

yo i swear, gang starr is my 'litmus test' for people when it comes to hip hop.

guru is perhaps the single most over rated emcee in the history of mankind. dude is HORRIBLE. absolute trash. if it weren't for primo, gang starr would be absolutely unlistenable. for some reason though, like de la and tribe, white kids just fucking love gang starr. i've never understood it. it's pretty easy to chalk it up to their complete ignorance as to what makes a good emcee, but but since early tribe and de la were both good, it's got to be deeper than that. i dont know.

dmx is dope though, in his own particular way. he's also been alot more influential than gang starr has, in shaping hip hop in the last few years. they should have listen primo by himself, then i'd agree that dude should be alot higher on the list, but with the gu-'lemonade was a popular drink and it still is'-ru along for the ride, wizzzack.

thats all.

kool moe dee should have been alot higher, as should big daddy kane. ja rule fit's in to this list about as well as he would at a klan rally, that dude is garbage, with nothing redeamable about him. and no 'redman'? yall is killing me.

freestyle fellowship should have made the list hands down as well, but its not at all surprising that they didnt.

ok, im done now.

Originally posted by YG Blood

47. Arrested Development :lol:

hate to break it to you dood, arrested development was a pretty important group. "3 years, 5 months..." was an awesome album, too.

being that puff daddy is #12, this list isnt exactly quality, but its nice that they shined a little light on a group that most people laugh at but havent really heard..

at least they didnt do a 50 greatest dj's of all time or a fucking 50 greatest punk bands of all time...i can see it now

1.dead kennedy's

2.good charlotte

3.blink182

and pure hell is not even on the fucking list cause there cant be any such thing as a mostly all black punk group that influenced the dead kennedys and a shitload of other bands....remember fishbone..even george clinton said many times fishbone is due for some damn respect from the mainstream...cause without fishbone you damn sure wouldnt have no doubt and sublime and the skeletones....

hehe i are rambling......

uhm.......dead prez should be on there..but thats just me

Check out the list:

50. Sugarhill Gang

49. Tone Loc

48. Kool Moe Dee

47. Arrested Development

46. Eve

45. Heavy D & The Boyz

44. MC Hammer

43. Coolio

42. Kurtis Blow

41. MC Lyte

40. Gang Starr

39. Ja Rule

38. Biz Markie

37. The Roots

36. Master P

35. Big Daddy Kane

34. Lil’ Kim

33. De La Soul

32. Cypress Hill

31. Naughty By Nature

30. Will Smith & DJ Jazzy Jeff

29. Nelly

28. Busta Rhymes

27. A Tribe Called Quest

26. Ice Cube

25. Snoop Dogg

24. Queen Latifah

23. OutKast

22. DMX

21. KRS-One

20. Eric B. & Rakim

19. Nas

18. Afrika Bambaataa

17. The Fugees & Lauryn Hill

16. Ice-T

15. Wu-Tang Clan

14. Missy Elliott

13. N.W.A.

12. P. Diddy

11. Beastie Boys

10. Jay-Z

9. Salt-N-Pepa

8. Grandmaster Flash

7. Dr. Dre

6. Eminem

5. LL Cool J

4. Notorious B.I.G.

3. Tupac Shakur

2. Public Enemy

1. Run-DMC

Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Gang Starr, Cypress Hill, Busta Rhymes & KRS One Shoulda been higher up...

Ja Rule, Will Smith, Nelly, Ice - T, P. Diddy, Beastie Boys & Eminem shoulda been further down tha list some shouldnt of even been in!

Originally posted by seeking

yo i swear, gang starr is my 'litmus test' for people when it comes to hip hop.

guru is perhaps the single most over rated emcee in the history of mankind. dude is HORRIBLE. absolute trash. if it weren't for primo, gang starr would be absolutely unlistenable. for some reason though, like de la and tribe, white kids just fucking love gang starr. i've never understood it. it's pretty easy to chalk it up to their complete ignorance as to what makes a good emcee, but but since early tribe and de la were both good, it's got to be deeper than that. i dont know.

dmx is dope though, in his own particular way. he's also been alot more influential than gang starr has, in shaping hip hop in the last few years. they should have listen primo by himself, then i'd agree that dude should be alot higher on the list, but with the gu-'lemonade was a popular drink and it still is'-ru along for the ride, wizzzack.

okokok, this is coming from the whitest suburban raised mofugga in da world. i also dont really know shit about hip hop or da rap game at all. i mean, onyx kicks ass, as do some other rap bands or whatever. but seriously i really really really like gangstarr.

i always thought he was a good mc. always, since like the hard to earn album. i like his rhymes and all that, and hes pretty funny. i think hes a good rapper. alot better than that new scientific mesh hat wearing vintage underground dribble thats coming out latley that i cant comprehend. gangstarr has fucking amazing beats dj premier being one of the best djs in the world. and guru who works so well with him. in my opinion. i really dont know anything about rappers, but i like gangstarr. not that wierdo stuff now. maybe they put in mad work son, but for a non rap dude, that shit is kinda gay.

also, dmx is funny, not the thug stuff but the stuff with good beats. shit that makes you wanna get stupid and party. ja rule is not good. probably at anything he does. stupid drunk party clubbin rap is the best rap.

remember, i dont know shit about politics or any of that. so please dont rip me apart.

so seeking, tell me what it is to be a good emcee. im just a stupid white kid.... ;)

Archived