Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

50 greatest hip hop groups/artrists of all time

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by nick5542, Apr 20, 2003.

1. nick5542

nick5542 Member

this is some bullshit, i was flippin through channels today and vh1 had this show on. it was the 50 greatest hip hop artists of alltime and it was hosted by p. diddy. i only caught number 1-2 but my friend told me about the rest. number 1 was run dmc which isnt that bad but puffy was number 10 and ja rule was pretty high too. they both ranked higher than tribe called quest, rakim, krs one. that is complete bullshit, there is no way puffy and ja rule are more important to hip hop than some of the fucking pioneers. just goes to show what bullshit mainstream is. shit makes me mad :mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. l0rdka0s

l0rdka0s Banned

i just be like what you fuckheads know about that new riddlore LP niggggggggggggggaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ugh

heiroglyphics ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 93 til infinity kill all that whack shit

yo what the hell does VH1, Viacoms bastard child shit experiment gone wrong, know about hip hop anyway.

3. Daze One Million

Daze One Million Elite Member

yea thats wak as fuck, ja rule man c'mon now, and "p diddy" what ever his name is, what was B.I.G. rated as, easy-e?

4. nick5542

nick5542 Member

i didnt see all of it, but im sure they have it online somewhere. i bet BIG was up there.

5. l0rdka0s

l0rdka0s Banned

shit fuck biggie smalls, anyone from afterlife would murder him and eminem combined well with the exception of self jupiter he sux0r!

6. KING BLING

KING BLING Guest

More than a musical style, hip-hop is a history of American culture, and a testimony by its artists of their life experiences. In 1985, when Run-DMC ordained themselves the “Kings of Rock,” in their lyrics of their hit song of the same name, they probably never imagined that one day they would be recognized as such. As the pioneers of hip-hop music, they convinced the world to dance to poetry with a beatbox. They invited anyone who would listen to “Walk This Way” in “My Adidas,” all the way to the top of VH1’s list of the “50 Greatest Hip-Hop Artists.” And in the words of the great Run-DMC themselves, “It’s like that! And that’s the way it is! Huh!”

Hosted by hip-hop music mogul Sean “P-Diddy” Combs, the two-hour special features provocative interviews with hip-hop music legends Afrika Bambaataa, Chuck D., Grandmaster Flash, MC Hammer and KRS-One. Newer artists interviewed include Snoop Dogg, OutKast, Busta Rhymes, Eve, and Nelly. Each offer a unique perspective that pays homage to their predecessors, speaks to future of the music, and proof that hip-hop music has woven itself into the fabric of American music and culture.

VH1’s “50 Greatest Hip-Hop Artists” serves as a platform for hip-hop music’s superstars of the past, present and future to acknowledge their hip-hop peers.

In our “Greatest” tradition, “50 Greatest Hip-Hop Artists” features archival clips, classic performances and exclusive interviews with the some of the world’s greatest entertainers. It also represents VH1’s recognition of hip-hop music as a significant music form and the integration of the genre into our music programming repertoire.

Check out the list:

50. Sugarhill Gang
    49. Tone Loc
    48. Kool Moe Dee
    47. Arrested Development
    46. Eve
    45. Heavy D & The Boyz
    44. MC Hammer
    43. Coolio
    42. Kurtis Blow
    41. MC Lyte
    40. Gang Starr
    39. Ja Rule
    38. Biz Markie
    37. The Roots
    36. Master P
    35. Big Daddy Kane
    34. Lil’ Kim
    33. De La Soul
    32. Cypress Hill
    31. Naughty By Nature
    30. Will Smith & DJ Jazzy Jeff
    29. Nelly
    28. Busta Rhymes
    27. A Tribe Called Quest
    26. Ice Cube
    25. Snoop Dogg
    24. Queen Latifah
    23. OutKast
    22. DMX
    21. KRS-One
    20. Eric B. & Rakim
    19. Nas
    18. Afrika Bambaataa
    17. The Fugees & Lauryn Hill
    16. Ice-T
    15. Wu-Tang Clan
    14. Missy Elliott
    13. N.W.A.
    12. P. Diddy
    11. Beastie Boys
    10. Jay-Z
    9. Salt-N-Pepa
    8. Grandmaster Flash
    7. Dr. Dre
    6. Eminem
    5. LL Cool J
    4. Notorious B.I.G.
    3. Tupac Shakur
    2. Public Enemy
    1. Run-DMC
    http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/the_greatest/...ode_about.jhtml

7. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

only 15 year old kids still get mad about shit like this, which for the most part, was pretty on point.

self jupiter wack? ha. you must be new to this. afterlife is dope, but if they were the only emcees on earth, and thus couldnt make every single song about how someone is biting thhem, they'd be pretty hard pressed for material.

8. Version 2.0

Version 2.0 New Jack

Somehow, i view gang starr as being a bit better than DMX at the whole rap thing.

9. suburbian bum

suburbian bum 12oz Loyalist

HAHA YOU WATCH TV!!!!!!!! YOU LOOSER!

10. Asid

Asid Junior Member

nelly over cypress, hahaha...old cypress hill was great...nelly lives in clayton missouri..im his paperboy, peace...

11. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

12. Krook

Krook Banned

gi gi gu gi gu G-UNIT:D

13. Born Loser

Born Loser New Jack

47. Arrested Development :lol:

Wheres Brotha Lycnh?

14. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

yo i swear, gang starr is my 'litmus test' for people when it comes to hip hop.
    guru is perhaps the single most over rated emcee in the history of mankind. dude is HORRIBLE. absolute trash. if it weren't for primo, gang starr would be absolutely unlistenable. for some reason though, like de la and tribe, white kids just fucking love gang starr. i've never understood it. it's pretty easy to chalk it up to their complete ignorance as to what makes a good emcee, but but since early tribe and de la were both good, it's got to be deeper than that. i dont know.
    dmx is dope though, in his own particular way. he's also been alot more influential than gang starr has, in shaping hip hop in the last few years. they should have listen primo by himself, then i'd agree that dude should be alot higher on the list, but with the gu-'lemonade was a popular drink and it still is'-ru along for the ride, wizzzack.

thats all.

kool moe dee should have been alot higher, as should big daddy kane. ja rule fit's in to this list about as well as he would at a klan rally, that dude is garbage, with nothing redeamable about him. and no 'redman'? yall is killing me.
    freestyle fellowship should have made the list hands down as well, but its not at all surprising that they didnt.

ok, im done now.

15. Born Loser

Born Loser New Jack

Not a big Gangstarr fan either.

WES SIGH EEEEEEED!!!