4 RCMP officers killed on Alberta farm

Dr. Dazzle

4 RCMP officers killed on Alberta farm

Last Updated Fri, 04 Mar 2005 12:01:33 EST

CBC News

ROCHFORT BRIDGE, ALTA. - A raid on a suspected marijuana grow operation in rural Alberta has left five people dead – four of them RCMP officers. It is the single worst multiple killing of RCMP officers in modern Canadian history.

The Quonset hut that police suspect held the marijuana growing operation in Rochfort Bridge, Alta.

"It's my sad duty to inform you that four RCMP officers, four brave young members have been killed in the line of duty," said RCMP Assistant Commissioner Bill Sweeney. All of those killed were described as junior officers.

Police have not officially named the deceased officers but one of them has been identified by several media sources as 29-year-old Const. Brock Myrol, originally of Red Deer, Alta.Friends say Myrol had joined the Mayerthorpe detachment a mere two weeks ago, and had recently become engaged to his girlfriend.

A national newspaper also identified one of the deceased as Const .Leo Johnston, a 33-year-old ace marksman. Johnson had been on the force about four years and had received Crown Pistols and Crown Rifles badges.

According to police the incident unfolded early Thursday morning when four RCMP officers – three from the Mayerthorpe detachment and another from nearby Whitecourt, took part in a raid on a farm near Rochfort Bridge. The officers were investigating allegations of stolen property and a marijuana grow operation.

Rochfort Bridge is located near Mayerthorpe, about 130 kilometres northwest of Edmonton.

Looking ashen and shaken, RCMP spokesman Cpl. Wayne Oakes told a news conference that the officers were killed inside a Quonset hut - a rounded, steel storage facility - on the farm. They had been shot.

Their bodies were discovered by emergency response team officers at about 2:20 p.m.

Asked if the victims had been ambushed, Oakes said "I don't know."

The suspect is also dead, though police can't say yet if he was killed by other officers, or if he turned his high-power rifle on himself. Oakes did say the suspect "was known to police."

The names of the murdered officers have not been released, pending notification of next of kin.

News vehicles were kept away from the scene through the day while police investigated.

The suspect has been identified as Jim Roszko, 46.

Speaking to reporters on Thursday, the suspect's father Bill Roszko said that his son was on a dangerous path and they hadn't spoken in nine years.

"He's not my son, he's a wicked devil," said Bill Roszko.

FROM MARCH 4, 2005: Police say busting grow ops extremely dangerous

The killing of the four officers appears to be unprecedented in modern Canadian history. "You'd have to go back to 1885, to the Northwest Rebellion, to have a loss of this magnitude. It's devastating," said Sweeney.

The incident started on Wednesday afternoon when police went to the property to investigate a suspected grow op. While there, they saw stolen car parts and stolen property. Two officers remained overnight.

Around 10 a.m. local time Thursday, the other officers returned and were shot at. They returned fire.

Police requested help from the military around noon.

The first word of a problem came from Alberta Solicitor General Harvey Cenaiko who said the RCMP lost contact with the four at about 10 a.m.

"As far as we know, there's four officers not responding to their radios, so there is an indication that something is serious here," Cenaiko said earlier in the day.

After the shooting the RCMP rushed at least two emergency response teams from Edmonton and Red Deer to the area, along with reinforcements from the Edmonton police. The Canadian military was put on alert, but later told it wasn't needed.

rcmp_marijuana050303.jpg

The Quonset hut that police suspect held the marijuana growing operation in Rochfort Bridge, Alta.

rcmp_marijuanashoot050303.jpg

News vehicles were kept away from the scene through the day while police investigated.

rochfort_bridge.jpg

Yeah so this may not be big news in Yankee-doodle land, but shit like this just does not happen up here. Like the article said, this many officers haven't died on duty since 1885.

4 cops is a hell of a lot.....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Im in a small classroom with 12 people at the moment, being in vancouver and hearing this story we had a nice long debate about pot again.

I am for, pro, or with the legalization of marijuana for the very reason of stopping things like this from happening. 4 People died because of some plants, ridiculous. I cant stand it, similar to liquor and everything that was taboo in the past, these people will have died for no reason other than one mans insanity.

C.

People who grow for personal use do not have guns.

People who grow enough to smoke and to have a bit to sell do not have guns.

People who grow massive crops for a single buyer, like the hell's angels, will be armed to the hilt.

just so the Yanks know....

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police are like Canada's FBI / DEA / ATF.

They dont actually ride around on horses.... well not all the time.

There's also CSIS which is Canada's CIA / Secret Service.

I don't know many details, and I haven't been able to read even the article posted up here, but I do know that the area where it happened must be in shock.

Small town Mounties...you play hockey with them. But really, (keep in mind that as of yet, I'm pretty ignorant on what happened) maybe the cops were asking for it. Maybe they weren't trained for this type of situation, and instead of calling for help, thought they could do it gung-ho style. After all, they are young cops.

who knew they even had grow ops up that far north? just make it ok to grow, and noone one will die. but didnt this guy have some mental problems as well? fuck, i wish theyd just stop busting grow ops, they bust 40 and then like 40 more spring up overnight. its useless. just let people do it legally. if canada thinks by stopping grow ops theyll do anything good, theyre sadly mistaken. its a billion dollar industry to B.C alone, lets say that money was gone, this province would be in a bit of trouble for sure.

TT, every other week there's some story about a huge grow op getting raided out on some farm around here. and with the price of pot way up north, busting people isn't going to stop anything.

other articles i read last night said that dude was armed with a rifle. what i want to know is how do 4 officers get shot with something that you have to cock before you fire again? its not like he had a handgun and emptied a whole clip into them from 5 feet away.

1/8's for $20

thats the going rate in my neck of the woods, it isn't bad pot, it's really good. Better than i have tried in some other places of the world, but there is a good scene here.

people have to start learning from the past. make a profit on the product, charge a tax. Put the money into healthcare for us future lung cancerians who will be showing up on the doorstep of the hospitals.

Look at prohibition in america, where did all the whiskey get made. Canada. The people who made the money back then... Basically a individual or group of who will kill people, gangsters, people who want some tax free cash. Hence this bastard who got caught with a shit load of pot and had a very seriious mental problem was bound not to give a fuck and kill.

There are grow-ops everywhere in my city. You can smell them, there is dealers up the street, down the street, they have business cards, I know of offices downtown that you can pick up quantities from. It's just a scene, but like anything illigal, you take a risk and damn I just keep typing.

Guest HESHIANDET

imagine how much fucking weed is inside that building. the fuck were niggas thinking rolling up to that spot.....

hells angels....hahaha

they shoulda busted in there with a swat team, not some lame ass local cops...apperently(i havent read the article), the cops who got shot in there were not there cuz of pot, but some other complaints....just what ive heard...im not as concerned...i heard the owner of the property was a nut job...so maybe they shoulda gone in shooting frst, asking questions later, but then the whole ethics debates comes up :rolleyes: