3DSMAX

johnny ballbags

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using max since about Max 6 (they are up to max 8 now). Theres a lot of concepts in 3d that are a bit wierd - but once you get your head around the basics you can do some awsome stuff.

Check out http://www.cgtalk.com and the forums there, You can find lots of usefull tutorials there.

Hunt down and download some training dvds on the pirate bay or something. You can find good dvd titles on the cgtalk site- just copy and paste their names into what ever your downloading thing is (torrents ect).

Any questions just post em here.

Guest diggity

autodesk bought out discreet (former owners of 3d studio max and grip of really high end compositing programs ie flint, flame, inferno, etc.)

They also most recently bought out Alias, the owners of MAYA.

This is a scary situation since both max and maya were considered the heavy hitters of the 3d world. i think max is mostly used in game development and maya is more for motion pictures, pixar, that kind of shit. Alot of people got layed off after Maya was bought out so it will be really interesting to see what comes next from that company since no company will develope two applications that do pretty close to the same thing, meaning one is going to get canned.

I've been using Cinema 4D for the last couple of years. I was about to pick up maya when they got bought out so i've kinda stepped back until the dust settles.

Most any 3d user forum online will have a good source of people that will help you.

What type of work are you wanting to do? that would help me to give you some suggestions on where to start up at.

autodesk bought out discreet (former owners of 3d studio max and grip of really high end compositing programs ie flint, flame, inferno, etc.)

This is a scary situation since both max and maya were considered the heavy hitters of the 3d world. i think max is mostly used in game development and maya is more for motion pictures, pixar, that kind of shit. Alot of people got layed off after Maya was bought out so it will be really interesting to see what comes next from that company since no company will develope two applications that do pretty close to the same thing, meaning one is going to get canned.

I've been using Cinema 4D for the last couple of years. I was about to pick up maya when they got bought out so i've kinda stepped back until the dust settles.

Most any 3d user forum online will have a good source of people that will help you.

What type of work are you wanting to do? that would help me to give you some suggestions on where to start up at.

Maya will always remain a heavy hitter. The biggest difference between the two is really simple.. its the OS. Max wont run on linux and a lot of companies opt to use linux because its free. Well it sucks that it makes it harder to stay loyal (maybe?) to Alias - its a good thing because these products will still be in direct confromtation with each other.

What is Cinema 4D like?

I just started going to school for CG in video games mostly- but I think im more intrested in doing flim than games.

johnny ballbags: You should deffinatly get max 8 instead of 7. Max 8 got rid of having to manually pull your model mesh apart to texture it with uvw (like painting your textures in photoshop). It has this thing in the UVW Unwrap modifer called Pelt mapping and its the coolest thing ever. Basically it pulls it appart for you by doing simulations. Like cutting some lines on your mesh- then attaching ropes to the cut lines and pulling the whole thing apart. Its improved my work flow so much and made the process actually enjoyable.

Sorry for the lenghtly explanation.

Originally posted by diggity@Mar 10 2006, 02:13 AM

im just lookin to get a basic introduction to some 3d apps.... ive been using photoshop and illustrator for about 3 years now... mostly doin ablums and flyers and things like that.... but i would like to move on to some different styles and projects... long term i would eventually like to get into some pixar type stuff, but for now i just want to learn the basic tools and concepts to give me a place to start.... i guess learning to do 3d text would be a good first step.. i could use it in what i am doin now and it would be a good intro for me.... a lot of the tuts ive found so far online kind of assume that you have a basic understanding of 3d apps, which i dont.... im just lookin for some very basic "talk to me like im a 3 year old" step by step type tuts...

thanks for the responses and the info... i wasnt really expecting anyone to reply

i dont think maya and 3dsmax really will be combined in the near future.. their uses are different. the program id love to have some facetime with is AliasStudio Tools. That with a wacom Cintiq i would be hyped.. most integrated design software ive seen.. you can be modeling..sketching developing rendering all in one seamless program.

• 1 month later...

my top 3 sites for max tuts are:

http://3d-palace.com <- huge max community with plenty of video tuts

http://3dbuzz.com <- good video tuts for beginners

http://3dtotal.com <- good resource

there are plenty of other good max sites out there, though!

i would love to get into some graffiti stuff creation with max, too lazy for now, adn school is hitting hard:shakehead:

also yeah, maya and max have a different feel and won't be combined any time soon(if ever), probably.

and yeah, cinema4d feels a lot like max from what i've tried.

• 3 years later...