3D Renderings and WIP Thread

GnomeToys

YAH, FIRST UNTITLED THREAD OF 2009 :p

Well the amazing render thread exploded, and most of my renders couldn't be called amazing anyway, so I'm starting this for anyone (which AFAIK is me and casek) to post their 3D computer graphics and works in progress, whatever.

Random stuff:

sculp333.jpg

maxwell_material.png

My little pony shitting a rainbow body material test render:

mlp_body.png

Final scene:

mylittlepony.jpg

Friend needed a picture of broken fishbowls for the flyer background of a closing party at a venue called "The Fishbowl" so this happened:

fishbowls_t.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

hey those are pretty cool, what program are you using.. for water try maya fluids, they've improved with '09 version.

I like the lighting in the first one, but it looks like you're not using bump maps.. or maybe the settings are too low..

3504290741_0531af6435_o.jpg

turd worm made in a few hours for fun and practice..

3504287387_22a00a63d9_o.jpg

playing around with caustics.. 15 minutes render time.. i know i fucked something up in the settings..

2663416090_3a5d8f3647_o.jpg

posted this a while back in a zbrush thread but didnt use zbrush so might as well drop it here..one of my demo reel assets..

3059089248_268331bc67_o.jpg

one of the many wip scenes.. i really gotta get on this.. tribute piece for a fallen crew member.. ao pass..

3505098624_18900ba870_o.jpg

Ha!

Those are dope, that morgue render... I don't think I could have told that was a render if it wasn't labeled.

I'm using 3D Studio Max 2010 and rendering everything in Mental Ray... except that material test object which was Maxwell render...

I've just been doing this for fun since I was in high school and the first version of Max came out. Probably going to install Houdini tonight and see if I can figure anything out, I tried it a long time ago and it seemed ridiculously complicated.

that's cool.. i dont know much about 3dsm even though I should get into it since it's an industry standard. it just seems like it takes longer to model with it.. plus if anything i should get into Blender since its a free software and still powerful..

u seem to know what you're doing tho. keep it up and post..

Not yet, I'm still getting the hang of mental ray shaders. Is it good? The examples on their webpage look really nice but so did Maxwell until I discovered how insanely long the renders take. I still have 2009 installed so I guess I'll just download the free version and find out.

The past couple of nights I've been learning Maxscript and messing around writing script based plugins... I'm going to try to learn the SDK after I get VS 2008 installed.

Just downloaded that, casek:

I installed ZBrush the other day because I kind of suck at NURBS modeling still and box modeling never seemed to cut it for faces the way I've been doing it... seems to simplify things a lot. I'll play with it tonight and see if I can make anything silly out of it.

and this is freaky.. i like it but have no idea why did it render out this way.. maybe anyone here would know.. maya mentalray:

I don't know how mental ray handles things in Maya but it looks like what would happen in Max if a contour or cartoon shader or pass was rendered and solid fills were not... I think Max has a checkbox somewhere in the mental ray settings that flips this mode on and off so it might be something similar.

yea looks like a toonshader without fill.. but what about the gridlines tho.. ha.. its no biggie i have a save file before i started renders so its cool..

another thing.. u see in the first picture the blotches and shit? looks like circular smoke or whatever.. well thats all final gather.. i dont have env fog in the scene, was wondering if u know how to get rid of those disco balls and make the render studio clean and crispy..

Turn down the final gather radius and increase the number of samples... in the newer versions of mental ray the render time doesn't really go up horribly, but you'll have to play with it. They dumbed it down in max and added quality sliders that change a whole bunch of settings at once but I think that's the general idea. Also I dunno if you modeled the scene with real world dimensions but it seems to work every time if you measure everything in meters and use photometric lights at the right intensities... again, no idea in Maya.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

that 3d printer is pretty dope, i'd like to try that out.

Testicular I think if you changed the font and add some dirt and spec maps, and also turned down the lighting a bit you'd have a nice piece there, btw the silhouette of a dancer looks like it's floating (not sure if you were goin for that).

Daddy I'm not a big fan of black backgrounds but the lighting in the first one looks cool, do you have any recent work? as far as this thread being dead, i disagree.. it's barely breathin but that's only because there aren't many 3d artists on 12oz. I guess this thread is for showcasing of wip/final images and askin for critique. Developing patience would help as well..

3613127387_d4e027f331_o.jpg

frame from a test glow animation...

Yeah I agree... What I was trying for were light beams coming through the logo (which is actually cut out from the metal textured cube). Mental ray seems to handle volume light differently than the standard max renderer, so if you look at the edges the actual cast beams are gray. I might be accidentally having them cast shadows with the other light in the scene. In any case I'm probably going to ditch the volume light and use a back glow instead. I also need to replace that red material (metallic paint A&D) with something else entirely, it's too reflective to the point that it looks transparent. I'll do this in the future if the guy with the logo actually cares about a 3D version. Unfortunately the font was their idea but I may try some different ones anyway, the current one in that picture is just a spline trace of the version they provided me.

This was the base file I worked from:

haremlogo.jpg

Now, on to what I'm having fun with right now, I'd appreciate critique on the lighting on this one.

tentacle.png

The room will get trim and some furnishing with a child running out a side door from the tentacled monstrosity bursting through the floor. I have one tentacle in right now so I could see what the floor will look like broken up a bit. I went a different route modeling this one and created the floor tiles as an array so I can do whatever I want with them easily. The light is all from skylight and reflected final gather rays.

I think it looks fairly realistic for what the scene will be but I'm more concerned about the horrid aliasing in the windows which still shows up even at the highest antialiasing quality (I think min 4 max 64 samples) in MR. Should I worry too much about it or just antialias that area in Photoshop later?

this thread is DEAD. no discussion or group goal. NADA

You didn't really ask for discussion, but to me those are pretty busy. Slightly more clearly defined object edges and different camera angles might work wonders. It looks like rap letters but I can't tell what's going on enough.

Although
: Speaking of a group goal, would anybody be interested in getting together on a short animation project? Nothing serious, maybe like a 30-60 second thing that we could combine skills on. I use Max and some of you use Maya but we could collaborate on the objects at least... I'm not very good at animation anyway. How about it?

As for me I need to start working on making my stuff look less sterile, but I always have trouble with using dirt maps without making them look like overkill. If anybody has any pointers I'd like to hear them.

Max 2010 has a normal based dirt map renderer built in but it seems to crap out on objects with complicated mapping... will play with some stuff today and see what I can come up with.

that 3d printer is pretty dope, i'd like to try that out.

Check this stuff out:

http://fabathome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

I don't know about that project, but several people on hackaday have made sub $300 3D printers at home which work with anything from cane sugar to epoxy to dough and might be worth looking into if you're really wanting to try it. I mean to build one when I get my tax refund next year.

as far as this thread being dead, i disagree.. it's barely breathin but that's only because there aren't many 3d artists on 12oz. I guess this thread is for showcasing of wip/final images and askin for critique. Developing patience would help as well..

I made it for that, but I'd be happy if people posted cool 3D they found online with links to artist pages too, or even commercial stuff. I've been fascinated by 3D rendering since I found POVRay on a BBS in 1992 and wrote my first scene file for it.

3613127387_d4e027f331_o.jpg

frame from a test glow animation...

If you put any animations online, post 'em... what renderer is this though? There seems to be some color bleeding from GI or final gather going on in the bottom right but not off the main letters. Not really distracting but strange.

tentacle.png

I see what you mean with the anti aliasing, I don't use max, unfortunately, i know it's a shame since it's an industry standard, in Maya you'd easily fix that with upping the samples.

what I would do for the windows is, basicaly model them as seperate objects, make the wall solid without cut outs for the said windows and just intersect the two together, if you want to keep the white in the windows like you have here, just apply a white surface shader to the faces of glass..

As far as lighting goes... It looks good to me, I'd maybe turn down the reflectivity on the tiles material to reduce the hot spots a bit, but besides that it's butter.

Painting a good dirt map takes some time but it doesnt mean that your material will be complicated.. again in maya I just paint all the dirt i want directly onto the uvmap using photoshop and plug that map into the color channel, then i desaturate the same map, adjust levels slightly so i have a nice black and white image and plug that into the spec and bump channels.. now that is a very quick way to make somewhat realistic bumps and spec maps.. ofcourse it helps if u have a referance image to base off..

You def need trims around the room and also the reflections on the tenticle look choppy, maybe smoothing that geometry would fix that...

it's commn along very nicely.. keep it up and keep posting.

that printer stuff is crazy, thanks for the link...

as far as the glow test image i posted of Konsole Kingz;

the only glowing thing in that image is the crown located at the bottom of the K in the lower right corner, hence there's glow reflecting on the floor in that part of the image.

That small crown looks deformed because it's in the middle of an ocean shader animation (just playing with it)I wanted to have it deform smoothly like ocean ripples and glow at the same time. again this was just a test and i went with a different idea for this shot.

Unfortunately i cant embed anything in this thread besides pictures.. so here's a link to my vimeo profile:

there you will find the KK tests and my demo reel...

I'd be down on workin on a short with you guys, i am fairly quick at modeling and texturing and there shouldn't be too much of a hassle to work between max and maya.. let me know..

Unfortunately i cant embed anything in this thread besides pictures.. so here's a link to my vimeo profile:

there you will find the KK tests and my demo reel...

I'd be down on workin on a short with you guys, i am fairly quick at modeling and texturing and there shouldn't be too much of a hassle to work between max and maya.. let me know..

A video is worth a thousand pictures... I get what you were doing now, it looks good in the video, like a sparkle on the crown.

Your environment reel looked awesome, I'd love to see a textured version of that train car... the model is superb.

So anyway my strong points are inorganic models, particle animation / setup, and lighting. I can do some basic animation of non-human models, I know how to rig characters but never got good at doing fluid motion. I only have access to a quad core 2.4 with 4GB of ram to render on right now, but I think I can get time on the university render farm when I'm back in a week or so. I'll have to check with the CGT department since I'm a math / CS major and I don't know if they'll give me time on it, but I know they're running a godawful number of nodes of mental ray and have Max & Maya on all the lab machines.

Anyway, if we're going to do this we should probably come up with some ideas first. I'm interested in post-apocalyptic stuff, maybe some kind of action going on in a bombed out city. Maybe something else entirely. I do quite a bit of photography and can take high resolution texture photos of things as need be too... let's throw around some ideas here and see what happens.

I'll be off the internet for a week or so until service is activated at my new place (moving today) so it might be better to e-mail me for now. I don't like getting on the oontz from university computers because they have been working very closely with the FBI on deep packet inspection software and are running heavy analysis on all traffic to test things, but I will check my e-mail which is uexplorer666@gmail.com

Daddy I'm not a big fan of black backgrounds but the lighting in the first one looks cool, do you have any recent work? as far as this thread being dead, i disagree.. it's barely breathin but that's only because there aren't many 3d artists on 12oz. I guess this thread is for showcasing of wip/final images and askin for critique. Developing patience would help as well..

yeah, you're right, its not dead..well, not any more. dope work being posted up.

@Testicular, an animation sounds dope, maybe if we circulate an obj. file and all do like 100 frames each or something, then stitch them together, that would be radass. i think we should start with a really simple idea, and let complexity emanate from there.

yeah, that old render of mine is rap letters, its a revok piece.