35mm camera question????

mental invalid

okay so yeah xmas is around the corner and santa asked me what i wanted....and well considering i recently lost my canon ae camera, i dont know how or where but i did, i was wondering what you guys were shooting with....

i really liked the feel and handle and pictures that my ole school canon gave me....all the new cameras are super light and super plastic and i like the ole chrome heavy style...

either way any recommendations??? i really know shit about photography....

anyone buy film equipment from ebay or anything like that???

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

To be honest I been diggin the new digitals comin out. If you can get ahold of one with 2 or 3 megapixel quality it is fresh. Nice and quick to. For what you would spend on a dope 35mm you could get a nice digi and a nice color printer AND a nice stack of photo paper to print on.

My opinion.

Oh and yes e-bay is nice for gear but check the sellers rating to make sure they are worth a shit....and also THIRDS!

Guest imported_Tesseract

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

hmmmm, i was facing the same diliema...I have a canon eos 300(its about 350$) and its the cheapest decent SLR out there...like the Nicon f-60. It automated, giving you the oputrunity to shoot quality snapshots, very usefull, but it also has manual mode where you can control everything. I always snobed this camera for some reason but the one year of use and the flicks it gave prove me wrong. So, if you wanna buy a good camera for all uses, that will not be the best thing around and at the same you wont crying your ass off if its broken or stolen or whatever, get it! it comes with a 35-90 zoom lense but i'd recommend a 50mm standard lens, if you wanna be more artistic...

On the other hand, i'm a big fan of old solid manual cameras...vietnam style...ebay has LOTS of them in good prices...i was trying to buy a dope nikon FM2 just a week ago...since cameras were a trend in US during the 70's and 80's there are alot second hand cameras around...these cameras are so tough its a good second hand buy....

Now...just because i know you drive a VW and i know you wanted a mac i'll tell you this, the old good camera will of course be better, but i strongly believe that the canon i refered to, or the similar nikon will be of better use....

:dazed:

caps the cameras i saw on ebay mangs were like 150-200 with some even coming with lenses and filters, not that i know shit about those either...

but anyways thats like my budget, weak i know, but i think most good digis are like 300 and up no?? plus a color printer and id be over my budget i think.....

but hell, yeah thanks fellas, keep dropping the scoop

TWrestl, you like the rebel??

hahah tess........ive made no decision on the comp.....but the more my girls mac fucking freezes on me, the more im think PC...

but as far as your camera opinion, those ones on ebay that you described so well as "vietnam", perfect, is what i am thinking about....thats exactly what my AE was like, ill take a look at the niko you mentioned, but the above one for 350 is way outta my $$$$

ps....your cds are almost done

Guest imported_Tesseract

haha, thats great i can use those cd's:) thanx man!

btw, i did some research...the canon i have (eos-300) has a different name in the states its the Rebel TI

its a good camera roe, i suggest it for all around photograqphy...however vietnam is vietnam, go for it!

Originally posted by mental invalid

TWrestl, you like the rebel??

the new REBEL TI by canon looks pretty cool to me, nice body style, its light, ofcourse it didnt have film or batteries in it, but it will be lighter then older models ofcourse, but it had a good lense on it, really cool features and settings, and even though it's pretty complex, it's a good start off camera. the guy at the camera shop had me sold, however since it is a new model it's $349 bucks, but, i'm trying to find a place where you don't have to pay on it for a year or so, and just make the payments, real cheap that way..

but yes, as of now, i'm planning on getting it.

for a normal camera i got a nikon n 65...its cool,pretty easy to use and has the auto mode and the manual one...ive enjoyed it and gotten some pretty nice shots with it....im not sure how epensive it is now i remember paying around four hundred, fourhundred fifty for it....and the digital i got is the sony dsc p 71 (i think)...well its the 3.2 megapixel...and im also enjoying it..and now its on sale everwhere....damnit;)

as i've said before, my canon elan 7 doesnt feel like some lightweight plastic garbage. i believe its made of magnesium....but i love the camera and its not all that expensive. i never use any of the full-auto stuff on it anyhow, i've never had any problems with it. one thing that i particularly like about it is that the f-stop setting is on the cameraback so you can easily keep your hand on the grip while adjusting the f-stop and shutterspeed. i'm not sure how unique that even is to the new stuff coming out but i love it.

you dont even have to be a knowledgeable photographer to shoot with a manual camera. you can easily learn the f-stop/shutterspeed shit in about 4 minutes.

as far as digitals, i have the sony cybershot 2.1. i love this camera also as i carry it pretty much everywhere with me with the 64mb card and its always accessible. i just need the larger battery pack for it.

also, for the elan 7, id reccomend getting the battery pack, i believe its the bp-300...it creates a much larger handgrip area and you can turn it verticle to have a verticle grip where they actuall placed a second shutter on the battery pack for easy vertical shooting. i think its only 80 bucks extra or something, maybe less. i think the camera itself at b+h is selling for probably about 300-350 nowadays with the lenskit and stuff.

thats my personal reccomendation.

im getting 2 toy cameras, anyone ever actually go about the process of modifying one? i thought rage had one.....but i would just want to be able to talk about the actual process of sealing the inside off better and all that.

this is completely off topic, and i don't know how true it is. but a friend of mine goes to the art intstitute of seattle and one of his instructors told everyon that the government told all the major camera companies "film has only 8 years left." meaning they're going all digital. canon and fuji are releasing full frame CCD SLRs this year. which means the chip that captures color is the size of a frame of film. that also means 16 megapixel. dayum. i don't know why i posted this.

Guest imported_Tesseract

well, it aint gov related but its damn true...the advantages of digital over film are out of the question....i'm getting a 5 MP digi soon.

Still, film will not die, its for us believers

Guest imported_Tesseract

man, digi will never be photography as its meant nowadays...but it shall have quality even greater in a way...The whole thing about 'photography' is to be in control and have the knowledge to get exactly the result you want without being able to have a preview...jedi style...or even to shoot a flick and wait to see how it'll turn up...in that way a digital camera will never be close and. for sure, with a digi you cant 'learn' photography. On the other hand thats a bit romantic hocus pocus, i love old cameras but i also love to shoot flicks and KNOW what i just shot instantly...you're sure you got the job done. I think that all 'photographers' should own a manual film camera, knowing the alphabet by hand, i bought the manual last year and now i'm getting a digi, i'm fed up paying for all the stupid flicks i shoot...heh

If you're going digital though, the only way to have 'real' flicks is to have at least a 5 megapixel CCD, so you can print in normal sizes...2 or 3 MP's are just internet fun...the price range for 5MB digis starts from a grand or so, mine is 1200...if i didnt need that camera bad i'd wait as digital cameras will get better and better in the next 5 years...i dunno get a manual for now i'd say...

film and printing will never die. its an art form and the die-hards will embrace it more and more.

my suggestions are old school manuals as well. Canon AE-1 and Pentax K-1000. tons of them around, everybody that owns em loves em. not sure on what they are going for now-a-days.

of course, if you don't want a camera to do fine art stuff then go with something easier or a digi. each has its own use and purpose.

oh my fucking god tess!! $$1200...hahaha.....that is so outta my price change that i dont even know why i just laughed....good fucking gracious...

i told ma dukes tat same reasoning, but i didnt realize the price difference....she was gonna get me a digi, but i told here she couldnt afford what i really need...haha....shes gonna laugh even harder when i tell her 1200

yeah steve-o, thats what i had the AE1 and i loved that fucking thing....like gripping a gun

Originally posted by Tesseract

Still, film will not die, its for us believers

yeah, im sorry, but as much fun as it is to just snap shit with my sony and fuck with it in photoshop it'll never touch when i'm doing actual wet darkroom work. i like being in the wet darkroom and actually making prints and dodging and burning, it just makes me feel more accomplished on a personal level and like i put more work into it, even though that may not be particularly true as people can put in work on the comp also, i just prefer the wet darkroom and theres alot of other people who do as well.

both hold importance to me.

Originally posted by Tyler Durden

yeah, im sorry, but as much fun as it is to just snap shit with my sony and fuck with it in photoshop it'll never touch when i'm doing actual wet darkroom work.

I fully expect digital photography to experience a backlash at some point in time. Graphic design has and its made the whole process better. The more impersonal and hands off it becomes, the more people will want to go back in a darkroom and be a part of the process.

Guest imported_Tesseract

i think you dont have to look at ebay at all man...i got info that local magazines are the shit in the US...more speciphically i know that on a mag that covers mag, there were dope 'vietnam' cameras for 50$....mostly from people that bought them in the 70's as a trend never really used them and now they kill them cheap.

Go for that!

and ig you find more than one, send me an email, seriously

I got a nikon n-60, auto/manual

a pentax k-1000 old schoool vietnam type camera (the total bomb!)

but I think I'm gonna sell out and buy a digital camera. Everythings on computers now, and scanning negatives just doesn't look as well, even witha expensive ass scanner. you lose something in the conversion that you don't with digis. If you ain't doing fine art photography, go wit digital, it's cheaper too. And i think in five years the chips are gonna be so small the quality will be the same as meduim format cameras. Oh well, but i will miss the old school blackroom, but look at it this way, how many people engrave there stuff for printing nowadays?

Originally posted by Tyler Durden

as i've said before, my canon elan 7 doesnt feel like some lightweight plastic garbage. i believe its made of magnesium....but i love the camera and its not all that expensive. i never use any of the full-auto stuff on it anyhow, i've never had any problems with it. one thing that i particularly like about it is that the f-stop setting is on the cameraback so you can easily keep your hand on the grip while adjusting the f-stop and shutterspeed. i'm not sure how unique that even is to the new stuff coming out but i love it.

as far as digitals, i have the sony cybershot 2.1. i love this camera also as i carry it pretty much everywhere with me with the 64mb card and its always accessible. i just need the larger battery pack for it.

also, for the elan 7, id reccomend getting the battery pack, i believe its the bp-300...it creates a much larger handgrip area and you can turn it verticle to have a verticle grip where they actuall placed a second shutter on the battery pack for easy vertical shooting. i think its only 80 bucks extra or something, maybe less. i think the camera itself at b+h is selling for probably about 300-350 nowadays with the lenskit and stuff.

thats my personal reccomendation.

I agree with Tyler. I have the Elan-7e with the battery back. It's tough. Get the 28-105mm lense, it's canon's most popular lense, and 28-105 is a nice range. It might be a bit costly at first.... but it's worth it in the long run. Digital cameras are ok... I'd never shoot with just a digital camera though... having 4000 flicks in binders,a couple thousand in the closet, and a few hundred on my wall makes me feel happy.

Guest imported_Tesseract

haha, dood...i have info but i'm still a euro kid, haha

i wish i knew a title to give you, from the description my sources gave me, the particular one was a mag with filled with ads' about stuff that people want to sell(i'm sure there a monolectic description for that) from second hand toothpicks to cars..and of course camera's...this one was refering to the whole state of MA.

On a sidenote, i also heard that ebay isnt always the best way to go, just because it covers the whole country prices sometimes arent that low...going more local may get you a good deal...

On another sidenote, i'm sure there are dozens of mags about photography and mostly photographers, the local ones must have ads'

...happy hunting!

PS, you think i'll get the CD's as xmas gift?...that would be sweet...no pressure though

Archived