28 Days Later

KaBar2

Has anybody else seen this film? It looks like an indie shot with DV in UK. Pretty gruesome and disturbing. But like Cecil B. DeMille said "If you want to send a message, use Western Union." This thing has more political/social baggage than Potemkin.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Meh... it was okay. I thought it was stupid to kill an established character like the father (and quite frankly, I was pssed). I like the grimey action scenes but I didn't like how they were enhanced with strobe lights and quick camera movements (mainly because once i noticed it, i noticed it everytime it happened). But besides that I like the plot twist, and it made me think about how society functions and what would happen if I was in a similar situation.

Was it originally made for the U.S. or imported?

Guest imported_Tesseract

I havent watched it mostly cause people i trust told me it wasnt anything great and because the director, Danny Boyle, made really crappy films lately. His first movies are awesome (Shallow grave, Trainspotting) but since he went Hollywood (he's english) he got lame (The beach).

Dude that wrote the screenplay is my fav new writer and if you havent 'the beach' and 'the tesseract' are great books.

I will eventually see it on DVD but thats it for now.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by ARCEL

i think the beach was a good movie

Well, it had nice photography and just for that ledoyen chick i'd say its a good movie. I wont though, if you read the book you'll understand that the movie is 000001% of the real deal.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Haha, this was a fun movie, watched it last night...

I don't know how so many parents were moronic enough to bring their kids to watch this movie when I went... There were at least 8 or so families that brought 5-6 year olds to watch this shit. Shit starts with all that crazy news footage, and then that scene with the monkeys and the chick barfing blood all over the place... by the time the first scene was over, the 6-year old kid next to me had shat himself all over the place and was asking his mom to get him out of there because he was fucking scared shitless. The mom says, "You wanted to fucking see this, now you sit and watch the whole goddamn thing". Me and my friend burst into one of those Uncontrollable Fits of Laughter (©2003 PMB) that never really stopped, and thankfully the mood eventually spread throughout the theater. After the scene where the black girl brutally kills her partner*, there was a huge silence in the theater, and then my friend started to make snorting sounds trying to hold back the laughter, which prompted the whole theater to bust out laughing uncontrollably. It was like the whole place was stoned out of their minds.

The Beach was pretty amazing for about the first half, and then I just stopped caring for the movie, and by the end I was like "meh". Danny Boyle and whoever the music guy is are masters at soundtrack selection though, a legacy which continued with 28 Days Later.

I figured Kabar would comment on this movie if he saw it. I'm surprised he hasn't started talking about how we should all own an arsenal of large automatic weaponry in case shit like this happens. Beer,

El Mamerro

*I'd met that guy in February in LA, he was roomates with the friend I was staying with. We all got stoned off our asses and did crazy yoga poses and freezes and played SNES. I was like "Wait a second, I know that guy", while watching the movie, and then the dude gets axed in the face. Awesome.

El Mammero

Actually, my wife and I went to see this movie with an old buddy of mine that I haven't seen in a while, and his wife. I know him from the Texas Constitutional Militia. It was a pretty disturbing movie, and afterwards, we discussed it, leaving the theatre and out in the parking lot. Of course, the first thing I noticed in the plot was the total lacks of crashed/burned cars blocking every roadway, bridge, tunnel, etc. The roads would have been filled with wrecks and dead bodies.

The second thing I noticed was all the stores that still had food, Pepsi machines that still had Pepsi (the first time this sort of thing appeared, my wife leaned over and whispered "Product placement." After that, she just nudged me. I think this movie may have been just one long commercial.)

The lack of firearms and armed bands of survivalist defenders was an extremely loud plot glitch. In real life, they would have been hunting these "infected" people like peasants hunting vampires, killing them, and burning the bodies to stop the infection. The mass terror and fear, causing people to all become cowards and run away is total bullshit. Britain got the shit bombed out of it by the Nazis--the British people didn't chicken out. They fought back (with AMERICAN rifles, pistols and shotguns DONATED by American gun owners to help defend Great Britain.) They fought the Battle of Britain heroically, despite overwhelming odds against them.

In San Francisco, during the earthquake that caused the collapse of the Nimitz Freeway, and part of the Oakland Bay Bridge, fires, buckled streets, gas explosions and all manner of other shit, the citizens of San Francisco, Oakland and the surrounding area RUSHED TOWARDS THE DANGER to help extricate survivors from crushed cars under the freeway, to fight fires, to drag hoses for the Fire Department, to carry wounded and injured people to hospitals. Doctors were treating patients in hospitals with broken water and sewer lines flooding the floors. Nurses cared for patients laying on mattresses out in the parking lot.

And, most recently, and most obviously, the people of New York didn't chicken out during 9/11. Neither did the passengers on the airplane that crashed in Pennsylvania. They fought back, and I believe that regardless of the odds and regardless of the situation, people will rise to the occasion.

They don't chicken out. And that is exactly why a militia movement exists. When things go to shit, people DON'T CHICKEN OUT. They rise to the occasion, and become something better than they are.

In 28 Days Later, the director was working with limited resources. Showing London empty was pretty eerie, and a lot cheaper than depicting a million corpses and the city in flames, which is more realistic.

The chances of this sort of virus occurring are remote. Even Ebola and other hemorrhagic fevers take a couple of weeks to incubate, and the victims begin getting sick a little at a time. A Sixty-Second Incubation is truly the stuff of science fiction.

Something like HIV, that infects millions, and is fatal, but acts very slowly, is much more realistic. But not nearly as dramatic to film as blood-splattered maniacs attacking with abandon.

The message that the government soldiers were just as bad as the bad guys is another bullshit message. And I thought the scene with the infected soldier chained by the neck to see how long it takes him to die was way too obvious (callous medical experimentation reminiscent of the chimps-in-the-lab scene. "No! Don't open the cage!"---The guy knew the risk they were taking.)

Disturbing, but it says a lot more about the writer, director and producers than it does about survivalism or disease.

it was a bad ass movie but a week after i saw it i see tyhis commercial on tv "The scariest movie of the year has an even SCARIER NEW ENDING! stay afterr the credits to see it!" WHAT THE FUCK! i spent 7 14 dollars to see this movie when it first comes out now they are telling me that i missed a part? fuck thos guys!

Originally posted by ToYs

it was a bad ass movie but a week after i saw it i see tyhis commercial on tv "The scariest movie of the year has an even SCARIER NEW ENDING! stay afterr the credits to see it!" WHAT THE FUCK! i spent 7 14 dollars to see this movie when it first comes out now they are telling me that i missed a part? fuck thos guys!

the other ending's supposed to be dumb anyway.

I liked it for certaint things...but hated it for certain things. I liked how the "zombies" ran and were more violent then normal zombies. It had alot of good camera angles and nice action scenes. Pretty artsy for a horror film. But it seemed to have this Day of the Dead feel to it. I don;t know. It was still better then most horror films that are created nowadays.

Sickboy

We noticed those exact same things, especially the "Day of the Dead" thing. We started listing all the causes and political tendencies that were getting play. Obviously, the Animal Liberation Front and the Earth First!ers got a plug. Animal vivisection got a slap. (Can't say I disagree there.) The fact that the central character was locked in in his little ICU unit with the key under the door was a nice touch (some heroic nurse locks him in, then throws the key under the door in a last second effort to save her patient, I guess.) In real life, NO DOORS INSIDE AN ICU ARE LOCKABLE, at least, not in the States. I've never seen one like that, anyway.

Then we've got the multicultural cast, and the salt-n-peppa romance (WTF, it's the New Millenium), the killer virus itself (echoes of HIV, Ebola, West Nile virus, etc., etc.), the fact that the car-in-the-street was hostile (it's car alarm scared the guy off), and the use of Molotov cocktails to fight the Infected (gasoline.)

I liked the scene where the rats ran from the Infected. That was pretty creative, similar to the vampires-suck-the-blood-of-rats-too thing in modern Dracula movies. The use of blood and body fluids as a threat was very effective. We all agreed that we have all accepted to a great degree the idea that exposure to any kind of blood or body fluids is very threatening in today's world. The chaining up of the infected soldier I already mentioned (evil medical experimentation/slavery). And the deterioration of the military unit into savagery (Government is bad--just a thin veneer of civilization over a savage gang mentality, and of course, the Officer is the cruelest and most morally degenerate of them all.) The fact that the Evil Male Soldiers forced the two women to wear evening gowns and to dress "femininely." In the "first" ending (which almost assuredly was actually the "second" ending filmed) things come out a little more hopefully. But the "second" ending (most definately the original ending, that probably did not test worth shit with the test audiences), the women emerge as victorious and doomed, and the Human Race is fucked. The two women with whom I saw the movie were extremely unhappy with the "second" ending, but it is the logical ending for such a dark, pessimistic, and cynical movie.

I was not happy with the hopeless message, OR the Pollyanna one, either. Both say a lot about the filmmaker. I wanted to shout "Grow UP, you chickenshit!" at the writer and director. I guess his intent was to affect people. I suppose it worked, in my case anyway.

Originally posted by ToYs

so has anyone seen this alternate ending?

Guest diggity

i downloaded the bootleg, it was decent for mainstream, would have prefered watching it on television since we all know how those bootlegs can be so dark sometimes.

Kabar2

. Britain got the shit bombed out of it by the Nazis--the British people didn't chicken out. They fought back (with AMERICAN rifles, pistols and shotguns DONATED by American gun owners to help defend Great Britain.) They fought the Battle of Britain heroically, despite overwhelming odds against them.

If your talking about the blitz, it was in London, London got bombed to Fuck..The people didn`t fight back(not in the way your saying with guns and rifles) they just weathered the storm and stayed strong..

I saw the alternate ending, and let me tell you you didn't miss anything. It was ridiculously stupid and without ruining it for those people that may want to be surprised let me tell you it's not worth waiting through the credits to see...

That will be all...

seeing london dead was really cool. thats about it. some country would have nuked the island before it left. and there would be no more zombies. and how did the zombies leave gb? they said it was headed to nyc, did they swim or pleasently board a plane or steal a boat or just walk the chunnel?

Archived