200 people sucked out of a plane at 7,000 feet.

Poop Man Bob

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/...ning%20Standard

200 sucked out of plane

By Robert Jobson, Evening Standard

9 May 2003

At least 200 passengers are feared dead after they were sucked out of a plane at 7,000 feet when a door opened.

The Russian-made aircraft suffered a catastrophic loss of cabin pressure which caused a "terrifying vacuum" while flying over Congo.

The pilot managed to land the plane but none of the passengers who had boarded were left.

"Everything inside was sucked out and the passengers did not have a chance," said an aviation official in the Congolese capital of Kinshasa. He added: "Everybody is presumed dead."

The plane had been chartered by the Congolese army to fly from Kinshasa to Lubumbashi, Congo's second biggest city which is home to a large military base.

The IL-76 military transport aircraft was being used to carry army personnel and their families.

Congo's minister for peace, Vital Kamerhe, confirmed that a cargo door had opened. An official said: "The pressure system broke down. There was a dramatic de-pressurisation."

The IL-76 is a medium-range aircraft, also known by its Nato codename Candid. It was developed for transporting cargo, dropping paratroopers and moving troops and military hardware.

It has huge doors which appear to have failed in the disaster on the flight out of Kinshasa. The four-engined Il-76 is a versatile transport aircraft widely used in Africa, the Middle East, India and China. It remains in service despite its age because of the shortage of cargo aircraft worldwide.

RIP

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest bug

really, seat belts wouldn't do a damn thing. the drastic difference in pressure woulda sucked people out ripping the belts, if not the seats that are bolted right off the ground of the plane. i bet the entire cabin was empty.

Guest Trousersnake

That sounds very odd.I fly at 7000 feet all the time.I dont think that that could happen.I have seen a window opened at 7000 feet before and nothing happend just pretty windy.If the plane was at 35,000 feet or so it would sound right,but I guess it happened if they got the bodies to prove it .

Archived