$1800 - too much for a pet?

imported_dowmagik

this is going to be my next pet, its called a kinkajou. it has a tail like a monkey so it can hang upside down by its tail -- too cute. ive located a breeder but the little bastards cost $1800 for a hand fed baby. this thing is too cute and worth the money, hell, it will live for 30 years. any of you guys have dream pets?

http://www.blue-n-gold.com/halfdan/kinkajouladder.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do you live, dowmagik? A dog at a pet store cost just as much.

I've always had a thing for chimps since I was a kid. I blame Jane Goodall. I also love pudgy faced dogs like pugs and boxers. I miss my thug pugs.

Last time I was in Las Vegas, my friend took me to like 4 different pet stores to find the perfect ferret. There was all kinds of crazy animals (Nevada has the right to sell exotic animals)... I even saw a bob cat in a cage in the backroom. I can't relate to my friend's ferret obsession, plus they fucking stink even when they are descented. Too bad my friend's dog tore the ferret apart only after a week of getting it.

Originally posted by dowmagik

this is going to be my next pet, its called a kinkajou. it has a tail like a monkey so it can hang upside down by its tail -- too cute. ive located a breeder but the little bastards cost $1800 for a hand fed baby. this thing is too cute and worth the money, hell, it will live for 30 years. any of you guys have dream pets?

http://www.blue-n-gold.com/halfdan/kinkajouladder.jpg'>

I don't know how much you know about raising exotics, but it's a bitch. They're cute, they're cuddly, but overall can be a pain. Handfed, yes, tame, probably not. I'm not sure if you live in the U.S. but getting a permit to own one of those, particularly in California is a biatch. 30 years is also a long time to have a pet... will you want it 30 years from now? Where would you keep it? Outside, depending on your weather, might be inhumane. Yet even the most tame of exotics have a difficult time being potty trained. Some are even particularly aggressive. Add in the fact that I think Kinkajous are primarily nocturnal...

aint that like a stick bug? and out of curiosity why such a unique pet? what is it about um?

its a mantid actually...or "Praying Mantis" as a lot of peeps call them. ever see one eat? its the illest shit ever. they arent like most insect predators that run up on things and sting them then wait for them to die. mantids are "sit and wait" predators...when prey comes near they go into "stalk" mode like a viper, chameleon, or cat, and once the prey is in range it strikes with its 2 front legs (one of the fastest reflexes in the animal kingdom)..then slowly eats it. i've had a gravid (pregnant) female mantis that was so large and voracious that it struck a toad and half ate that poor fucker face-first before i found out and had to pry it out of the mantids grip and kill it as it was still alive with half a freakin head. in africa and asia where some species are know to reach over 9 inches in length female mantids have been documented picking humming birds out of the air mid-flight and eating the fucks. fun stuff. plus they come in all kinds of shapes and sizes and are easy to breed. yes, im a nerd.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1930000/images/_1933375_mantis300.jpg'>

http://kewl.phear.org/albums/nature/pr_jb198_dead_leaf_mantis.thumb.jpg'>

Originally posted by LesboQueef

its a mantid actually...or "Praying Mantis" as a lot of peeps call them. ever see one eat? its the illest shit ever. they arent like most insect predators that run up on things and sting them then wait for them to die. mantids are "sit and wait" predators...when prey comes near they go into "stalk" mode like a viper, chameleon, or cat, and once the prey is in range it strikes with its 2 front legs (one of the fastest reflexes in the animal kingdom)..then slowly eats it. i've had a gravid (pregnant) female mantis that was so large and voracious that it struck a toad and half ate that poor fucker face-first before i found out and had to pry it out of the mantids grip and kill it as it was still alive with half a freakin head. in africa and asia where some species are know to reach over 9 inches in length female mantids have been documented picking humming birds out of the air mid-flight and eating the fucks. fun stuff. plus they come in all kinds of shapes and sizes and are easy to breed. yes, im a nerd.

yea ive seen some mantis' eat, it is crazy....i remember seeing one at recess way back when in elementary school....funny shit all the kids were surrounding it watching it just chill in the grass or what ever...then some kid stepped on it :rolleyes: but anyway man you aint no nerd you just know what you like http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb/icons/icon26.gif'>

Re: Re: $1800 - too much for a pet?

Originally posted by Fugazi

I don't know how much you know about raising exotics, but it's a bitch. They're cute, they're cuddly, but overall can be a pain. Handfed, yes, tame, probably not. I'm not sure if you live in the U.S. but getting a permit to own one of those, particularly in California is a biatch. 30 years is also a long time to have a pet... will you want it 30 years from now? Where would you keep it? Outside, depending on your weather, might be inhumane. Yet even the most tame of exotics have a difficult time being potty trained. Some are even particularly aggressive. Add in the fact that I think Kinkajous are primarily nocturnal...

i know a guy that owns one and ive handled his and its friendly. everything ive read says they are friendly if you get them as a baby. im not going to purchase it until i move into a new house. and yes, they are nocturnal but can be trained to sleep at night and be awake during the day. ive read that they routinely shit/pee around 10 minutes after they wake up and then theyre fine after that for the day.

thats exactly 7.142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857142857 per day

Originally posted by Coffie Crave

i always wanted a small monkey, and if i get the money i would proly buy one...or at lest look into it...

On Jane Goodall's website, you can be a "chimpanzee guardian". You sponsor a poor chimp who's habitat has been destroyed or who's family has been poached for bushmeat trade. I'd like to be a chimp guardian, but I'm still not convinced it's not a bunch of bullshit...

http://commerce.janegoodall.org/store/image.php?productid=9'>

"Petit Prince is the youngest orphan at the Tchimpounga Sanctuary. He is still very insecure and often wakes in the night."

fugazi's right. my girl's friend had her heart set on getting a pet monkey, and she ended up needing to take half a dozen tests and needed to be licensed to do basic emergency veterinary care on it and had to do all this other crazy crap too. after she got certified and passed all the tests and whatever she just ended up getting a cat. it died in like three weeks and she's sworn off pets since.

shit I cant even take care of myself. But then again, if I had the money to get a brookfield zoo animal, I guess Id have the money to get someone to take care of the thing and train it and shit too. then again that would mean Id have to get a pet and a fucking human along with it. so in the end, fuck it, Ill go to the zoo

damned if you do damned if you dont (thanks far side thread)

Archived