**12OZ SUMMER READING**

test pattern

it's summertime, pussies

i need some good reading. i read AMERICAN GODS by NEIL GAIMAN sometime last year. it was fucking good. last week i bought NEVERWHERE by neil gaiman and it was pretty fucking good, too. this week i've bought STARDUST by neil gaiman and HITCHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY.

this is the fucking suggest a book thread for this summer... so suggest a book.

I strongly suggest American Gods.

neverwhere is a slightly easier and much shorter read.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm reading a compilation... it's called Berlin Noir by Phillip Kerr... it's actually 3 novels, March Violets, The Pale Criminal and A German Requiem.

The main character is a 'radical thinker' pushed out of the berlin police and into being a private detective.

Pretty historically straight, the first novel is full of racial epithets that make your toes curl... "got more lip than a nigger with a trumpet"!!! Still, they're all in context and they are very good books... mysteries with alot of reich involvment...

On the Road is great... know that the driver (Neil ? I think... I forget) is also a real person, and also a character with his real name (plus bus driver for the merry pranksters) in Electric Kool Aid Acid Test by Ken Kesey

*other titles in the Ken Kesey catalog - One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest, Once a Great Notion

recommended related reading... Brautigan... Confederate General at Big Sur, and, Trout Fishing in America...

just finishing up drowning in fire by craig womack.. it's alright.. kinda of melodramatic... if anything, it reaffirmed my sexuality, as i didn't pop a boner during the various gay love scenes.

as for after? im not sure... was thinking about american psycho, farenheit 451 or siddartha.

the main find last summer was phillip roth's portnoy's complaint... it's pretty funny.

Guest BROWNer

pirates and emperors, old and new-chomsky..

this book came to me, not the other way around..just

started it..

chances are i'll read a third or half of it and then lose

interest and get into another book and do the exact

same thing....i rarely seem to finish books....

i think i might teach myself some advanced biology

this summer...probably not, but i keep thinking it would

be cool to learn more than the basics...just for farts and

sniffs.

Originally posted by Smart

I'm reading a compilation... it's called Berlin Noir by Phillip Kerr... it's actually 3 novels, March Violets, The Pale Criminal and A German Requiem.

The main character is a 'radical thinker' pushed out of the berlin police and into being a private detective.

Pretty historically straight, the first novel is full of racial epithets that make your toes curl... "got more lip than a nigger with a trumpet"!!! Still, they're all in context and they are very good books... mysteries with alot of reich involvment...

that sounds wicked. Hopefully I can find it at the library.

I'm reading a collection of short stories by Somerset Maugham. For the summer, I wanna attack either House of the Dead by Dostoevsky for my second time, or Anna Karenina by Tolstoy because Tolstoy is amazing.

Originally posted by ARCEL

The Hiawatha by David Treuer, good stuff.

David Treuer

Assistant Professor; Ph.D., University of Michigan

The Hiawatha (Picador USA, 1999)

As The Hiawatha begins, a young man is released from prison after serving ten years for murder. How he got there, and what will happen to him next, are the questions at the heart of David Treuer's remarkable novel.

As Simon settles into the American Indian neighborhood of Minneapolis where his troubles began, we witness the events that both haunt and shape his family. Recently widowed, and encouraged by government relocation schemes to move Native Americans off their reservations, Simon's mother, Betty, takes her four young children from the woodlands of her Ojibwe tribe to make a new life in the city.

Betty struggles to keep her family and her dignity intact, while her younger son, Lester, finds romance on a soon-to-be-demolished train, and Simon secretly protects his mother by taking a dangerous job building skyscrapers that, once completed, will never welcome him.

Unfolding to reveal the dark truths that have damaged Simon's family, The Hiawatha is a stunning achievement: a moving portrait of a family, an exploration of the often hidden role played by Native Americans in city life, and a fast-paced story of murder that moves effortlessly between the natural and the man-made world.

David Treuer more than delivers on the promise he displayed in his acclaimed first novel, Little, and confirms his reputation as one of the most talented and original writers of his generation.

sounds good, too.

Guest KING BLING

I've read a lot of these and I cant help thinking damn what a bunch of cliche kids we all are but....

Test - if you like prachett and gaiman than pick up GOOD OMENS.

Jailbird by Kurt Vonnegut

The Autobiography of Malcolm X

The Trial by Kafka

Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Ecotopia by Ernest Callenbach

Originally posted by shoekeys

i got sonned in the book thread.

i'm not sure, but I think in one of my "what book are you reading?" threads this book was mentioned and I went on a big rant. It's been years since I've read that book, and smoking weed doesn't help serve my memory.

Originally posted by mr.yuck

My buddy was telling me about this biography called Running with scissors I have yet to read it but it sounds fresh.

some crackhead at court the other day had a t-shirt on that said that, and I had to push him down to the ground outside the room 'cuz he had attitude and was budding in front of me.

Archived