12oz lecture series??? any hope of this?

casekonly

i think it'd be kind of cool to have a little 12oz lecture series go on where members or mods lecture about something they're knowlegeable

about.

an irc group i'm a member of did something similar recently, but i'd kind of like to see it on the 12oz board.

what do other members think about an interactive lecture series?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really like that idea....it would make for an interesting thread. Could we perhaps have a choice of 3-4 topics which the mods list and chose 1 and go into detail with it?

topics i would like to see.

1-Fuck Ya'll guide to Los Angeles

2- PGW going into detail about petty scams.

3- Raven talking about the history of 120z

Originally posted by fatbastard

i really like that idea....it would make for an interesting thread. Could we perhaps have a choice of 3-4 topics which the mods list and chose 1 and go into detail with it?

topics i would like to see.

1-Fuck Ya'll guide to Los Angeles

2- PGW going into detail about petty scams.

3- Raven talking about the history of 120z

i was thinking along the lines of some of the older writers (30's and up) talking about style, movements, etc. in the culture.

maybe someone involved in the graphic design industry talking about aesthetics, current trends and waht the industry is moving towards, etc..

i dunno, there are countless things i could list that i'd personally be interested in

Let's do appliances....

Refridgerator: major thing to check for is busted door liners, which means dried and cracked rubber... this is no good, it let's air out of your fridge and causes temperature inside to not be correct... which in the long run will cause the refridgerator to die... because the compressor works overtime, the thermostatus will burn, the heater coil will burn... etc etc... way to prevent this. With a warm wet washcloth, clean the door liner, and the part where it contacts the cabinet.... once that is done, take some vaseline and put it all the way around the liner, this will keep it from sticking and cause a good seal... also door liners are "moldable" by using a hair dryer on high heat, if the door liner is fucked up and not sitting flat against the cabinet, simply take a hair dryer and slowly heat the offending area.

Also, every so often, you need to take a brush or a vacuum cleaner with a hose, and take the panel off either the back of your fridge, or the front plate.... and clean the dust mess off your coils.... if you fail to do this, you will greatly shorten the life of the refridgerator, the compressor will burn rendering the fridge useless... if your compressor ever burns do not allow someone to replace it, the cost is not worth it, the machine is trash, buy a new one.

I will write more about different appliances here in the future. I hope this helps someone.

representing knowledge bases

• molecular biology
  • genetics
  • cell biology
  • neurobiology
  • calculus
  • microbiology
  • anatomy & physiology

if anyone is interested in lecturing on quantum physics or string theory (i know we've had discussions about that shit) i'd be down

i'd also be interested in lectures on breakdancing (already traversed in J's 'the plan')

and BMX tricks

BMX Tricks:

Manual: first try to find your balance point on your bicycle... do this by pulling the brakes and sitting on the seat, pull the front wheel up and feel where the point is, that the front wheel either falls, or the bike loops out. Depending on your set up there should be a nice little in between area that will allow balance. It also helps a great deal to not have a layback seat post. You will also need to make your handlebars parallel with your forks. This helps in control more than you'd believe. You don't want to have some "chicago" style handlebars.

Now for the actual manual, ride at a decent speed, not too slow or balancing becomes alot more difficult. Not too fast or you could bust your ass pretty good. now, once riding, position your ass as if you were going to sit on your back wheel, behind your seat, and pull up on the handlebars, the front end should come up pretty easy. Some people use their brakes to keep from looping out, but I never do. Now to "pump" the manual, which means adjusting to keep the front wheel up... you must do like a humping motion alot of times, it takes much practice before one can master a manual and just stick in one spot keeping the bike balanced. You want to have your arms mostly straight but slightly bent. Keep practicing, this trick looks simple but it's hard to master. Once you get this down you can do things like bunny hop up a curb and land in a manual.

More bmx tricks to come...

I think this is an awesome idea. Actually...This just might be the best idea to ever come from a member of the 12oz community. So is this gonna be something where anybody can talk about what they know about, or are you trying to keep things in a certain genre?

Originally posted by mr.yuck

I think this is an awesome idea. Actually...This just might be the best idea to ever come from a member of the 12oz community. So is this gonna be something where anybody can talk about what they know about, or are you trying to keep things in a certain genre?

hey,thanks!

that's a really cool compliment...it's really a compliment that people are actually interested...

anyway, yeah, people should talk about what they want to discuss. i don't think there should be guidlines for now.

my belly is full of redbeans and rice.

Guest ctrl+alt+del

i like the idea of lecturing on what you do best

id like to do some reading on social engineering.

i could go off for a long time about the dietary needs of the elderly, hahaha.

Originally posted by anonymity1

go to your favorite store, purchase an item, place in your vehicle, return to store with receipt and bag, grab same item, and walk out the door. Easy 2 for 1, or you could return one and get your money back.

So in essence, your plan is to pay to shoplift.

Righteous!

Originally posted by casekonly

maybe someone involved in the graphic design industry talking about aesthetics, current trends and waht the industry is moving towards, etc..

First off...

casek is the genius.

I'd really like to hear Joker spit color/line

theory for dumbshits like me who have a

hard time with picking colors.. or even Dlush

since she went ahead and mentioned it.

Casek could definately break shit down on

the technical tip.

!@#$% knows more real advanced stuff than any of us.

Yuck's just gutter as hell. He could school you all on Ramen.

I don't know what the rest of you do, but

I like the direction casek wants to take it in.

gamblers gin should do a lecture on how to get fine ass girls to pose for you and let you post their pics on 12oz.

and Devilush should do one on her mango guacamole.

speaking of guacamole last night me and my lady went to this restaurant called "on the border" which is a place like acapulco or el torito. so we're eating some food and our waiter who was white tells the people next to us if they want some guacamado, so since i was high as fuck i started to laugh my ass off and i almost choked on a piece of chicken.:lol: thats my new word for the year "GUACAMADO"

not avocado or guacamole but "GUACAMADO"

Originally posted by 26SidedCube

First off...

casek is the genius.

I'd really like to hear Joker spit color/line

theory for dumbshits like me who have a

hard time with picking colors.. or even Dlush

since she went ahead and mentioned it.

Casek could definately break shit down on

the technical tip.

!@#$% knows more real advanced stuff than any of us.

Yuck's just gutter as hell. He could school you all on Ramen.

I don't know what the rest of you do, but

I like the direction casek wants to take it in.

yes, yes i am. i'm not only the president, i'm also a member.

i could go for a Joker lecture on line theory, color scheme, etc.

all the other ideas are top notch, too. it's a little 12oz think tank.

i dunno about me lecturing on tech stuff, but i would like to lecture on philosophy...that'd be neat. i'd have to spend some time offline writing up main points, etc, etc.

i think i will do that. maybe...maybe i'll do it on tech shit, instead??? i don't know.

i think the lecture series should be titled with "lecture series" then whatecer you're lecturing about....just an idea.

how cool that makros is joining in our little thread by posting a pic of a japanamag. wouldn't it be cool if we could lock her in a cage and throw chips or crackers to her? she could be our 12oz mascot.