12oz DJs

mr.yuck

Hello. This is some basic questions regarding getting started and what not, for those that are 12 inch prophets here. That was pretty clever huh?

anyway. Im tired of all of these played out wanker mixes that people put out and want to make my own shit. Its something i have been wanting to get started on and do for a while but have never been able to make time for until now.

So just some basic questions. How did you go about getting started? Was it mostly trial and error or did you have some one to school you? Does any one buy vinyl online and what are some pretty reliable places to buy from.

Any kind of tips or anything such as quality equipment and what ever you have to offer me would be helpful. Thanks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by mr.yuck@Feb 20 2005, 01:17 PM

Hello. This is some basic questions regarding getting started and what not, for those that are 12 inch prophets here. That was pretty clever huh?

anyway. Im tired of all of these played out wanker mixes that people put out and want to make my own shit. Its something i have been wanting to get started on and do for a while but have never been able to make time for until now.

So just some basic questions. How did you go about getting started? Was it mostly trial and error or did you have some one to school you? Does any one buy vinyl online and what are some pretty reliable places to buy from.

Any kind of tips or anything such as quality equipment and what ever you have to offer me would be helpful. Thanks.

I have been out of the scene for a whillle but I'm sure not too much has changed....I'm assuming you are going to mix using turntables so... I learned through the internet but of course person to person instruction would be much easier...I'm sure there is some video you can buy but it mostly is trial and error...with any insturment it takes practice practice practice....soon you develop an "ear" for it and mixing becomes easierrrrr..what type of music are you looking to mix? Buying vinyl online isn't a great idea unless you are SURE of what you're looking for.

ok listen closely....save up for Technics 1200's ...no matter what anyone tells you these are THE best turntables...they have been the best selling for 20+ years for a reason....most people go for looks or think one turntable does not differ from another when starting but I guarantee you these will last you your whole career.....if you do make the mistake of buying other turntables you'll later realize, and purchase 1200's ....so save yourself and make the good investment of purchasing them....

the mixer you choose to buy depends on the type of music you plan on mixing

shure m447's nuffffff said

it gets a lot more expensive than you think so be ready to drop a dime and good luck

I tried my hand at DnB for a couple of years and it's expensive indeed. Each single costs about 10 bucks and after selling off half my CD collection to finance this I realized that DnB is pretty fucking boring to listen to in bulk.

Basically, practice, Technics (about 300 a table, they are expensive also), good Shure needles because the grip they have is awesome, and a good ear for beatmatching and keeping a flow. And teach yourself how to scratch, especially if you're going to be playing rap. Nothing is more boring than listening to a rap DJ who doesn't scratch. Buy a couple of battle records and go nuts on em.

And when you go record shopping, don't do it on the internet. Go to an independent store where they have tables set up for you to listen to the records before you buy them. Try to bob your head so it looks like you know what you're doing.

Also, if you really are going to teach yourself how to scratch, make sure you buy a mixer that has a loose fader without any resistance at all.

If you're just starting and you're not really sure or on a budget then you can get DJ kits for like 100 bucks that come with a corny ass mixer and some ghetto tables. They suck for any sort of beat juggling or scratching but if you're just playing tracks in sequence then it's a cheap way to get a feel for it, and you can practice while you save up for the big boys. Just don't think about playing any gigs with em.

when I first started I went to a local used music gear store and bought tables and a mixer they had there just to try it out and see if I liked it. I taught myself a few things then slowly started to upgrade my equipment. I figured as I upgraded I could sell off my old stuff to help pay for the new shit. Plus there wo7uld be nothing worse than dropping a grand on all this great equipment then a month after buying it deciding that spinning records just isn't the thing for you.

zack wikka wikka wikka morris

i didnt read everyones posr, but just BUY TECHNICS!!!! save and buy them. dont buy ANY dj kits... they are a waste of money.. shit, even buy a basice dj instructional video, yes they are corney, but you learn the basic stuff from them. buy a decent mixer. spend about $200-300 for the mixer. i know it MIGHT ssem expensive, but i bought a Vestax PMC-07 mixer($550 @ the time) and i still love it, it has some cool options. so heres a list...

(2) Technics 12000s

(1) descent mixer

(1) pair of Stanton craze scratch needles(upgrade later after you get better)

(1) kind of learning video(this will help you get started with mixing/cutting)

(1) Love for the music you are going to play.

* oh and a side note,if you got the money, buy records weekly or bi-weekly. you can NEVER have enough records.

but i stress that you buy the TEchnics.. everyone i have ever known that spun said "man i should have just waited for the money to get technics"

they try and sell their crappy tables and dont even get half of what they payed for.. its really a waste of time. good luck and as far as shopping online, i go to FATBEATS.COM thats a hip-hop record store..and they carry some old School. you should check your local phone book as well for shops around your area.thats my 2 cents. PEACE.

*edit*

i just read what Zack Morris said, and i say buy your tables from Guitarcenter.com... you have 30 days to return, even if its past you could always put your setup for sale on EBAY.. they easily go for top dollar.real talk.

if you wanna get into spinnin hiphop i suggest buying vinyl from those 3 sites listed. and if you're still where im at,and you wanna purchase offline, DJ's Record Store on lafeyette is huge and loaded with tons of vinyl, and Relative Theory on granby for that underground ish.

are you thinking about becoming a mobile dj or just to making random mixtapes and such? come up with any names to call yourself?

here's the best tip you'll get......

for every $20 record you buy, you need to get 20 $1 records.

to be a good dj, especially in this day of open formats and mashups,

you need to be a fan of good music from all genres. Sure you might only

want to play hiphop, but as we all know, the best hiphop dj's know their roots.

djing is the most expensive hobby i know of.

every dj i ever knew spent shitloads of time and money to find records.

and yeah, they also bought a ton of cheap stuff looking for the gems.,

one has to be very dedicated.

i said fuck all that, and just got one record player.

i don't have the time for two.

my best friend and her man are about to move to Bali.

i get to pick through his records when they leave.

:burn:

Originally posted by Vanity@Feb 21 2005, 02:57 AM

oh.. and for needles.... you don't really need anything better than stanton 500s until you really start getting into really technical stuff.. they def. have the most bang for the buck

Damn straight. the m44-7's are amazing but at $70-$100 a pop they are a drain on the wallet. I mostly just use my stanton 500's and I can't really complain about them....especially considering I'm not a hardcore turntablist and mostly just spin at house parties and do mixtapes.

There really is no point in buying a half assed setup to start off with. It will really hinder your learning curve trying to start of with some piece of shit tables and in about two months you are going to want to upgrade. TRUST ME.

Learning is all about practice. You can watch someone else or read up all you want but it really takes "doing" to learn.

If you must you can go to: http://www.asisphonics.net

They have a pretty comprehensive skratch tutorial, with sound samples to go along with it.

I wish I had mine with me right now. Perfect boredom killers.

p.s. After you get a setup....accept any vinyl donations. You'll start noticing where all your favorite hip hop tracks get their samples from

I disagree about buying a half-assed set up to start.

Let's put it this way, you THINK you want to be a DJ. Now here are your choices:

1. Spend 600 dollars on a pair of Technics, spend 400-700 dollars on a sweet ass mixer. That's at least 1000 dollars.

2. Spend 150-200 dollars on a all-in-one beginner kit.

Now if you have money to burn, go for the door number one. But if you are on a budget, get the starter kit, and spend some serious money on records. They will play the same, you just have to be really careful about putting the needle down.

Starter kits are crappy, but they are still tables. And the skills you learn from playing on crappy tables will really prepare you for the Technics when the time comes. It's like going from a 1989 Ford Tempo to a 2004 sports car. You will appreciate the Technics so much more and have the basic spinning skills neccessary to be good on them. Plus with all the money you saved buying the starter kit you may have already amassed a sizable record collection. Nothing sucks more then having tables with nothing to play on them.

Yeah, you won't really be able to sell that starter kit for anything. I almost got it sold for 100 bucks to this kid but he dissapeared to England before I got the money and apparently after he took the tables and smashed the shit outta them. Maybe you'll be able to get em off for 20-50 dollars to a friend or through craig's list or whatever. 20-50 dollars is not much value from 200 dollars, but at least you can buy a couple of records with it.

Originally posted by Sarah Tonin+Feb 21 2005, 12:27 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sarah Tonin - Feb 21 2005, 12:27 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Seldoon@Feb 20 2005, 02:31 PM

http://www.turntablelab.com/

http://www.sandboxautomatic.com/

http://www.sqratchattack.com/

if you wanna get into spinnin hiphop i suggest buying vinyl from those 3 sites listed. and if you're still where im at,and you wanna purchase offline, DJ's Record Store on lafeyette is huge and loaded with tons of vinyl, and Relative Theory on granby for that underground ish.

are you thinking about becoming a mobile dj or just to making random mixtapes and such? come up with any names to call yourself?

[/b]

What city is lafeyette in. Hit me on IM with that if you dont want to disclose your location. I really just want to start out with doing my own mixtapes. I think im gonna call myself DJ EAT MY SHIT. haha.

Have you talked to hiltone lately? Tell that mini cracker to hit me or jen up some time.

Key. Yeah i have a quickly growing stash of vinyl growing with nothing to play it on. I have a lot of stuff from bill withers to the jesus christ super star musical to some rap to some spanish lessons on 45. I just need to get some where that has some of the newer stuff.

Im sure that there is a way to hook the tables up to the computer so i can record straight to a digital medium. That would make sense right?

Originally posted by anonymity1@Feb 21 2005, 07:04 PM

you can always buy one dope table and a decent mixer and use your computer as one channel.

I'm thinking about getting a 3 channel mixer just because

I have Traktor (dj software) running into on and two and I

have a nice Akai turntable on one of the other lines.

but no scrathing on that beast!