11 year old boy hit by a train...

WITS

This happened to another kid not too long ago while he was walking to school. A train was stopped and he decided to crawl over it and it moved. I don't remember but I think he didn't make it.

They really need to do something about that shit because it's like freight city in NE Houston/5th ward. Those fuckers will just stop and block the street for an hour and some kid walking to school isn't gonna walk down a mile or more to a place where he/she can cross the tracks. I read something in the paper awhile back about how they were thinking of making little bridge type things to walk over the tracks but I think they voted against it or something like that. Yeah.

Most of you probably don't give a fuck but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Peace.

My link didn't work. Grrrrr. Go here

and it in the News section on the right side of the page.

http://www.kprc.com

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Heres a though

Mabey instead of being a fuckin dumbass and crawling under a train to get around it you instead use the common sence god gave you and climb between the cars, hell mabey even climb over it

Wait even better, Turn around and go back home

Why the fuck would you wana crawl under a train to get to fuckin school of all places...Thats my opinion

if you actually read the post

it says he crawled over it..

not under it..

he had to

because there wasn't any other place to cross the tracks

why be an asshole and blame an 11 year old for doing something not smart..

it's a kid..

what the fuck does he know about train safety..

WITS

You've got a good point, but I don't think it's a real possibility to put a pedestrian bridge at every possible grade crossing. A more workable idea would be to educate all the kids at school to never go near a train. We've done such a good job of making them afraid to be late for school that we kind of did ourselves a disservice, in a way.

I first rode a freight train at about this same age (about 12) and we were totally ignorant of any safety issues. We were very lucky nobody got hurt. The more often we did it, the braver we got. It wasn't until I was twenty that I got any education in what to avoid around trains. We were aware that when trains are stopped and had power on that they might move suddenly, though. We climbed all over standing cuts of cars with no power, absolutely sure in the idea that the "brakes were set" and that they could not move. Also an error.

Even at age twenty, with an experienced, veteran train rider telling me bluntly "DON'T PASS BETWEEN CUTS OF CARS" I still did it. In fact, I did it to defy him. What an idiot. Rufe was looking at it from a percentage of risk viewpoint, I guess. If you pass between standing cuts, there is that smallest little possibility that they will come together and pinch you. But if you NEVER cross between them, that possibility is eliminated completely. As a young man, I was not really able to see the wisdom in Rufe's viewpoint. To him, the glass was still only half empty. To me, the glass was only half full.

This little boy that got hurt is a good example of why children need parents directing their decisions and behaviors and why letting a kid walk to school by himself or herself is not always a good idea. Especially not in Houston's Fifth Ward.

BTW, Wits, I'm up in that area every couple of weeks or so. Maybe I'll run into you some time.

Well, ray, I cover this in my Yard Safety thread but briefly again:

The danger in climbing across a stationary train is that it might jerk suddenly into motion at any time.

If you're climbing over it when this happens, and you don't have a good hand and foothold, you could get dumped under the wheels, or just fracture your skull falling headfirst into any number of really hard surfaces. (In fact, you can do this fairly easily even when the train doesn't move.)

If you're crawling UNDER the train, you can see how fucked you are.

If you MUST cross a stopped train - which really never happens, because you can always wait, or go around - you need to do a couple of things.

First of all use the ladders and walkways at the end of most cars. If there's no ladder and walkway on the car in front of you, don't cross there. (This happens with autoracks, coal cars, some gondolas, and a few other cars. Boxcars and tankers are usually easiest to cross.)

Keep a firm footing and handhold at all times. That means before you let go of anything with one hand, make sure the other hand is holding on. You should have one hand or both hands grabbing something firmly at all times - never NO hands. (NEVER carry anything while crossing - you are automatically breaking the at-least-one-hand rule. Throw it over the coupler first, or don't cross.) And by a "firm" grip I mean one that wouldn't be knocked loose if something big crashed into your railcar at that second.

There's no need to rush if you are obeying those above rules. If you have made up your mind that you must cross this train, do it slowly and deliberately and keep that firm grip on the ladders and bars. Rushing is a good way to fuck yourself up before the train even moves.

Another consideration is: what's on the next track? You might execute the perfect safe crossing only to step into the path of a train on the other track. (Last year in my area a girl was at a crossing, walking her bike. The gates were down and she could clearly see a train coming on track 2, so she stopped and waited - while standing on track 1, where she was killed by a train coming the other way, which she couldn't hear because of the noise from the first train.)

The number one thing to have around trains is awareness. In the case of a stopped train, awareness consists of knowing it could move suddenly, and violently, at any moment, and treating it accordingly.

There are a hundred more things to know about trying to cross lines in a YARD. If you're not a veteran of watching and understanding yard operations, don't fuck around. Start by reading the whole Yard Safety thread, but that's not enough - you need to see live all the things I mention in there before you'll really understand.

I hate seeing people learn the Kabar way about train safety. That 11-year old could have been Kabar. The only difference is that Kabar and his friends were lucky, and that kid was not. (For the record, I almost got killed violating one of the rules I now preach, back before I understood train safety.) Train safety should really be taught in schools.

Originally posted by binnki

Heres a though

Mabey instead of being a fuckin dumbass and crawling under a train to get around it you instead use the common sence god gave you and climb between the cars, hell mabey even climb over it

Wait even better, Turn around and go back home

Why the fuck would you wana crawl under a train to get to fuckin school of all places...Thats my opinion

Archived