•• Politics.2004 Elections ••

Poop Man Bob

Rant, support your candidate, post news, whatever. Views from both sides are appreciated, as is sensible, constructive debate.

http://fattydave.homestead.com/files/politics.jpg'>

I figure we can consolidate a lot of ideas in here. Even if no one else posts, I'll keep bumping it up with random shit I want to add.

Let the games begin.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Poll: Support for Iraq War Slipping

"As a new poll shows Americans are taking a dimmer view of U.S.-led coalition efforts in Iraq, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said Monday that the fighting there would continue "for some time."

Only 56 percent of Americans view the current fighting as going well in Iraq, according to a new CNN/USA Today Gallup poll. That is much lower than the 70 percent in late May and the 86 percent in early May who thought the fighting was going well ..."

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/world/0306/iraq.poll/embed.gallup.poll.gif'>

Guest ctrl+alt+del

this will be my first election, w00t . i voted Dean in moveon's little poll.

this should be a great thread, those numbers were very interesting, sad to see though that the mjaority still hasnt figured it out. comin around though. some hope.

another dailykos reader?

good lookin. that guys piano compositions are really good too.

i think it will be hard for a democrat to overthrow Bush.

i would have liked to see Bob Graham take it. He did some great things in Florida. Im not sure if this is typical for governor, but Bob Graham spent alot of his time doing 'work days' where he'd actually get a job as a teacher or cop for a few days just to see things through their eyes.

It doesnt look like he has a chance though. Rush Limbaugh made a comment that the Clintons would be pro-Bush since a democrat winning the 2004 elections fucks up her 2008 presidential run.

Imagine if Jeb Bush ran against Hillary Clinton in '08. It would be our 3rd election of Clinton/Gore vs. Bush.

jeb.vs.hillary would be interesting but whats up on this nader thing...apparently hes considering running as a republican if the greens wont back him or he chooses to run otherwise. that would be a real interesting decision on his part, eh?

did anybody else hear that quote recently that bush made at the g8 meetings about americans and the society that we currently reside in.

im not going to find it to quote verbatum* but it was essentially along the lines that when americans get home from work at the end of the day they should be too tired to question their form of leadership.

whats up with that and what the hell is he trying to say to the rest of the world.

its also interesting to look at the way things are going when it comes to euros, the privatization of water by corporations and the part the world bank/imf is having to play with merging goverment institutions and corporations through the creation of the world economics forum, eh?

funny times were livin in, it almost reminds me of one of those moments where your forced to say....hey, wait a second; isnt this how scary movies start, i dont really know though. its all perception.

Originally posted by mapo returns

It doesnt look like he has a chance though. Rush Limbaugh made a comment that the Clintons would be pro-Bush since a democrat winning the 2004 elections fucks up her 2008 presidential run.

I really hope that's not true. Granted, they have two of the largest egos in Dem politics, but I don't think they'd sacrifice their values to support someone who is essentially the antithesis of much of what they believe. Furthermore, if they supported W outwardly, they would get crucified amongst the core base of Dems. That would be a huge step towards Hillary never getting the chance to run.

Originally posted by mapo returns

Imagine if Jeb Bush ran against Hillary Clinton in '08. It would be our 3rd election of Clinton/Gore vs. Bush.

And I've read that if Jeb wants the nomination in '08 (provided W wins in '04), it's his. That would be scary.

Originally posted by toyeattoywar

whats up on this nader thing...apparently hes considering running as a republican if the greens wont back him or he chooses to run otherwise.

whoa, my brain wants to explode. how CAN he run for republican? i just seems a bit strange. this is probably the only instance i would EVER vote republican. at the last election, i was going to vote nader, but i realized that if W wont the state i would probably never forgive myself, so it ended with gore.

imgaine what michel moore would have to say about nader running as republican.

Let's be serious.

Nader's not considering running as a Republican. He's considering running again as a Green candidate.

Toyeattoy - how would he run as a Republican, anyway? The GOP decides who they run, and it's obviously W. I repeat: the only party Nader could run for is the Green (which, I might add, he has never joined. I find that odd.)

Article: http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0630-04.htm

Nader says he has moved closer to a repeat run as the Green Party nominee after concluding that Democrats have no one who can defeat President Bush.

"It is quite clear that the Democrats are incapable of defending our country against the Bush marauders," Nader, 69, says. "They have been unwilling to go all out to stop the destructive tax cuts for the wealthy. They have been soft on corporate crime. They have gone along in almost every issue except judicial appointments. They have cowered, surrendered or divided themselves.

"So what are you to replace Bush with? They won't go after him the way I could."

--snip--

He has told Green Party officials he is interested in running and is encouraging "Draft Nader" movements.

Nader acknowledges he could harm the Democrats' chances of winning the White House. But he also maintains that if he runs, and Democrats do not attack him, he will motivate thousands of people to go to the polls and cast votes for him, then mark the ballot for Democratic House and Senate candidates.

Let's be honest here. Every vote for Nader would be a vote for Bush. If Nader chose not to run, the votes that would go to Nader would most likely (not certainly) go to the Dem candidate. If Nader did run, he's taking votes away from a candidate that has a legitimate chance of beating W. We need to keep repeating the mantra "ANYONE BUT BUSH."

Re: Let's be serious.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

Let's be honest here. Every vote for Nader would be a vote for Bush. If Nader chose not to run, the votes that would go to Nader would most likely (not certainly) go to the Dem candidate. If Nader did run, he's taking votes away from a candidate that has a legitimate chance of beating W. We need to keep repeating the mantra "ANYONE BUT BUSH."

As much as i agree with this, I absolutley hate this thinking. This country needs a viable 3rd party to contend but as long as this thinking remains it will never happen. Vote for you think is the best for the country, not for the lesser of two evils. Its really a tough call, i can understand both sides of the argument and probably stand more along the side PMB;s thinking now but just wanted to throw this out there. If the public never see's a noticeable percentage of the vote going anywhere else than the two majors many will never even consider voting for much less look into 3rd parties. If you support 3rd parties because you agree with their values goals and asspirations for the country then you need to support them, thats the way change in the better for you, the supporter, will happen, it would take a while, but it all starts with support.

our two party system is a joke. The views on each side are so close on so many issues that it comes down to personality instead of policy.

Numbers dont really mean shit, they are so manipulatable that the sane numbers can be used to support the rightness of more than one viewpoint...

great and now tom ridge is # 8 in line to succeed the pres in the event of a catastrophy(sp?)

hello religous right!!!

Re: Re: Let's be serious.

Originally posted by nomadawhat

As much as i agree with this, I absolutley hate this thinking. This country needs a viable 3rd party to contend but as long as this thinking remains it will never happen. Vote for you think is the best for the country, not for the lesser of two evils. Its really a tough call, i can understand both sides of the argument and probably stand more along the side PMB;s thinking now but just wanted to throw this out there. If the public never see's a noticeable percentage of the vote going anywhere else than the two majors many will never even consider voting for much less look into 3rd parties. If you support 3rd parties because you agree with their values goals and asspirations for the country then you need to support them, thats the way change in the better for you, the supporter, will happen, it would take a while, but it all starts with support.

I agree. It does start with support, which is why I voted for Nader in the 2000 election. I wasn't satisfied with either of the candidates the Big Two were offering, so, in an attempt to help Nader get the 5% that would make him eligible for federal funding in the 2004 election, I cast my vote with Nader. I didn't agree with a lot of what he had to say, but I didn't want to not vote. Besides, I live in Texas, the safest of all safe Republican states. Voting for Gore wouldn't have done much other than up the number of popular votes by which he won (read: lost).

With that said, I think our current situation is drastically different than that of 3 years ago. I am personally so dissatisfied with the Bush administration's policies that I am willing to vote in any Democratic candidate. Like I said, Anybody But Bush. I feel the issue of removing Bush from the White House is much more pressing than voting third party. That's just me though, so take it as you may.

this is really interesting. I have always viewed, until recently, politics as being 2 people running against each other who spew bullshit from their mouths in the form of unattainable 8 year goals for America. Everything is rah rah and hyped up to get people to vote of course. These plans or goals are very rarely ever met, with exceptions of course, and people keep getting sucked into the same bullshit every four years.

My view was that no matter what president gets elected they are gonna fuck something up and people are gonna shit on them. I didn't vote in the last election because of my askew view on politics. I really just noticed how fucked up Bush has made things for the united states by talking to a lot of older people who are in their 60's +.

I am absolutley sickend by the fact that the bush legacy has been pimping the country for personal gains for decades instead of leading the people of America as a whole into prosperity and peace. I hate to quote uncle ben right now but "With great power comes great responsibility," and our current president isn't shouldering any of it.

I will be voting in 2004 and please believe that i am with POOP on this one. Bush must be dethroned.

nice one PMB!

That kitten/domokun rip is very well done! K7+

I'm not really qualified to get too deep into your yankee doodle politics

but I am very afraid of another 'crisis to nation security' shortly before

the election. Didn't some rider to the Homeland security act have something

to do with suspending elections during a threat to the country?

Now that's scarry!

Originally posted by Kilo7-

Didn't some rider to the Homeland security act have something

to do with suspending elections during a threat to the country?

Now that's scarry!

http://www.lightwatcher.com/futurenews/pro..._elections.html

An invasion of Iraq or any of the "Axis of Evil" or "Beyond Axis of Evil" nations is likely to result in a response that means American citizens will die here in the U.S. One incident, one aircraft hijacked, a "dirty nuke" set off in a small town, may well prompt the Bush regime, let's say during the election campaign of 2003-2004, to suspend national elections for a year while his government ensures stability. The precedent for such thinking is now enshrined in GOP politics. Another egotistical politician, Rudolph Giuliani, suggested that he should stay on as Mayor of New York a while longer past his term to make sure "New Yorkers would get through this thing". Would it be any surprise to hear Bush II say the same thing late in 2003 after insurgents would have destroyed part of a city or a chemical weapons cloud spreads over half of a small state?

Or just Google "suspension of elections + patriot act."

...bottom line vote!!!. Motherfuckers need to get off their bullshit about it aint worth it. People in other countries wish they could vote. Shit would change if mofos started to vote. If you don't like either canidate go to the poll and vote, just dont pick one and turn in your ballot. It counts and lets poll watchers know you don't like any of the canidates.