“Back in the Hood”

TuffKid

“Back in the Hood” Looks at Life after Gang Banging

Date: Thursday, August 26, 2004

By: Walter Higgins, BlackAmericaWeb.com

A new HBO documentary takes viewers past the guns, violence and drugs of street gang culture and shows ex-gang bangers struggling to transform themselves and the hood.

“Back in the Hood: Gang War 2,” which airs Thursday night on HBO, is a follow up to the highly rated documentary “Banging in Little Rock,” that aired ten years ago.

The documentary revisits gang culture in Little Rock, but this time through the eyes of two former gang leaders, Leifel “OG” Jackson of Original Gangster Crips and Marvin Weathersby of the West Side Bloods.

After emerging form an eight year federal prison stint for drug trafficking, “Back in the Hood” follows Jackson who has undergone a transformation from a powerful gang leader, to director of an after-school program for at-risk youth called Our Club.

Despite Jackson’s work with youth in the community, which earned him a 2002 Juvenile Justice Worker of the Year Award, the film shows him going through social and economic struggles ex-offenders experience upon re-entering society.

Due to his felon status, the program won’t put Jackson on the payroll and as a result he doesn’t have health insurance.

“Everyday is a struggle,” Jackson told BlackAmericaWeb.com. “The biggest obstacle is not being able to legally help the people who need it most. The system is set up so there is little chance or incentive to break free from gang affiliation and illegal activity…Despite the changes in my life I’ll always be considered an ex-offender and former gang leader.”

As part of his mission, Jackson invites one of his former rivals Weathersby, one-time leader of the West Side Bloods, to speak to the kids in his program. The two former enemies have put their deadly rivalry behind them to try and save the next generation.

Other scenes reveal the deadly results of gang life as Jackson visits an old gang member dying in a hospital and attends the funeral of rival gang members Jackson has talked out of retaliation.

“Bangin' In Little Rock received great response when it premiered in 1994,” comments director, Marc Levin. "Since then, people have been wondering what happened to the original gang members interviewed. I stayed in touch with Jackson during his prison term and my response to their inquiries was to return to Little Rock and chronicle the lives of those we profiled. I wanted to show Jackson's journey from then to now. He's changed his life, but he's still a prisoner of his past."

“There is a devastating war that has been going on in inner cities across the country for years with thousands of young black men killed maimed, or imprisoned, says Jackson. “There are no memorials or days of remembrance for those lost on the home front and no one seems to notice or care.”

“Back in the Hood: Gang War 2” debuts on HBO tonight at 10pm-11pm EST, August 30th (1:50am), September 8th (12:30am), September 13th (12midnight) and September 16th (3:10am).

For more information on Leifel Jackson visit www.4sightmedia.com.

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/resource.aspx?id=13123'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.