Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

“Back in the Hood”

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by TuffKid, Sep 14, 2004.

1. TuffKid

TuffKid Senior Member

“Back in the Hood” Looks at Life after Gang Banging
    Date: Thursday, August 26, 2004
    By: Walter Higgins, BlackAmericaWeb.com

A new HBO documentary takes viewers past the guns, violence and drugs of street gang culture and shows ex-gang bangers struggling to transform themselves and the hood.

“Back in the Hood: Gang War 2,” which airs Thursday night on HBO, is a follow up to the highly rated documentary “Banging in Little Rock,” that aired ten years ago.

The documentary revisits gang culture in Little Rock, but this time through the eyes of two former gang leaders, Leifel “OG” Jackson of Original Gangster Crips and Marvin Weathersby of the West Side Bloods.

After emerging form an eight year federal prison stint for drug trafficking, “Back in the Hood” follows Jackson who has undergone a transformation from a powerful gang leader, to director of an after-school program for at-risk youth called Our Club.

Despite Jackson’s work with youth in the community, which earned him a 2002 Juvenile Justice Worker of the Year Award, the film shows him going through social and economic struggles ex-offenders experience upon re-entering society.

Due to his felon status, the program won’t put Jackson on the payroll and as a result he doesn’t have health insurance.

“Everyday is a struggle,” Jackson told BlackAmericaWeb.com. “The biggest obstacle is not being able to legally help the people who need it most. The system is set up so there is little chance or incentive to break free from gang affiliation and illegal activity…Despite the changes in my life I’ll always be considered an ex-offender and former gang leader.”

As part of his mission, Jackson invites one of his former rivals Weathersby, one-time leader of the West Side Bloods, to speak to the kids in his program. The two former enemies have put their deadly rivalry behind them to try and save the next generation.

Other scenes reveal the deadly results of gang life as Jackson visits an old gang member dying in a hospital and attends the funeral of rival gang members Jackson has talked out of retaliation.

“Bangin' In Little Rock received great response when it premiered in 1994,” comments director, Marc Levin. "Since then, people have been wondering what happened to the original gang members interviewed. I stayed in touch with Jackson during his prison term and my response to their inquiries was to return to Little Rock and chronicle the lives of those we profiled. I wanted to show Jackson's journey from then to now. He's changed his life, but he's still a prisoner of his past."

“There is a devastating war that has been going on in inner cities across the country for years with thousands of young black men killed maimed, or imprisoned, says Jackson. “There are no memorials or days of remembrance for those lost on the home front and no one seems to notice or care.”

“Back in the Hood: Gang War 2” debuts on HBO tonight at 10pm-11pm EST, August 30th (1:50am), September 8th (12:30am), September 13th (12midnight) and September 16th (3:10am).

For more information on Leifel Jackson visit www.4sightmedia.com.

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Peanut

Mr. Peanut Elite Member

resistance is futile.

3. Brewster Baker

Brewster Baker 12oz Loyalist

little rock..... its just lyke compton nigga

4. Devilush

Devilush 12oz Legend

yea i saw this last night. it was pretty interesting.

5. slave_one

slave_one Elite Member

i don't have HBO...:(

6. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

7. destroya

destroya Senior Member

i saw it a couple weeks ago, it was boring.

8. mr.yuck

mr.yuck Veteran Member

Im gonna have to check that out.

9. Brewster Baker

Brewster Baker 12oz Loyalist

10. T=E=A=S=E

T=E=A=S=E Elite Member