What book are you reading? Part 20

• 1 month later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

9781942645580_p0_v3_s600x595.jpg.9eedf413ef20a7ad74ebb4e56aff4098.jpg

After reading a handful of reviews I was excited to dig into this book, but ultimately felt it went nowhere. I kept hoping to get pulled in but it never happened. A few friends have read and said they loved it, so it must be me. One review I read compared to Ready Player One and Armada but I didn’t think so. Interesting read, for sure, just not the action packed sci-fi I was looking for.

Dude on my twitter feed that I respect recommends this book. It's about human augmentation, robotics, machine learning and the ethics of, etc. etc.

189322477_De6wp3JV4AA97Ip.jpglarge.jpg.a23ead6000ef12eb20bb09dd9cd89d9f.jpg

It's funny, a large amount of the work I do in my day job is on futures forecasting but instead of reading books like this and The Punch Escrow I find myself reading about history instead.

Weird.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Dude on my twitter feed that I respect recommends this book. It's about human augmentation, robotics, machine learning and the ethics of, etc. etc.

[ATTACH=full]246677[/ATTACH]

It's funny, a large amount of the work I do in my day job is on futures forecasting but instead of reading books like this and The Punch Escrow I find myself reading about history instead.

Weird.

Futures forecasting? Can you explain a bit more about that and what you do, not to derail the topic.

I have two out from the library in hopes to establish a working routine for myself to overcome a lot of self-doubt

and improve my productivity.

15799151.jpg.a0f86dd3d7d282969cf5823f023f6e44.jpg

Picked up 'Daily Rituals' from the post above. Dig that it's an easy, casual read.

1245958066_51kzUUHhMTL._SX331_BO1204203200_.jpg.8ea310d391675b9a21d3ded5d4dda443.jpg

Going to get into this this week, see what I can't pull from it.

These kind of go hand-in-hand with the social media thread; evaluating how I spend my time and how to get shit done like a normal functioning person.

Otherwise been reading some Kurt Vonnegut for leisure.

Edited by ClownPrince
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, CALIgula said:

^glad you got around to reading it.

i'm taking a break from autobiographies...just finished reading this one last night:

The Power of Habit

https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1366758683l/12609433.jpg

12609433.jpg

Ive disabled image embeds. Too many complaints from other sites and too many broken images. But going to look into an option for it. For now we have huge attachment space for members and unlimited for VIP. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Ive disabled image embeds. Too many complaints from other sites and too many broken images. But going to look into an option for it. For now we have huge attachment space for members and unlimited for VIP. 

Is that why the animated gif I tried to drag & drop into another thread didn't play?

On 5/30/2018 at 8:15 PM, diggity said:

just catching up here after long time away. dont think ive every posted to book threads..

mostly fantasy shit. holler if you have any suggestions. i'm due for something new.

If you're into fantasy and you haven't read the Malazan series I suggest checking that out. 

Edited by metronome
Am a dumb.
  • Like 1

@metronomejust did a little research on it. looks like this is going to be a really deep dive.

I'll give it a shot though. I only made it through 6-7 of the wheel of time books. one day I'm going to try to pick that back up.

@misteraven- I found Zombie Road on Audiobook. 

I'll try starting it first.

Edited by diggity
  • Like 1

@diggityI read the entire WoT series on some serious sunken cost fallacy business. I don't know why I bothered, I think it sucked and even the Sanderson written books couldn't save it.  The Malazan series has some of the best world building I've encountered and the biggest criticism of it is that the author plunks you down into the middle of some stuff in book 1 so it's a little overwhelming at first but its worth getting past that.