The "Your Day in Pies" Photothread (non artistic)

Pistol

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

Lol, I don't recal Ace, Gene and Paul being that buff.

OMB - regards the question about beer in ROK, it's a really big beer culture over there, I was pleasantly surprised. We get a goodly amount of US beer over here, and even more locally brewed American style beers, so it's not a new thing to me. I just bottled an American PAle Ale last night that had been cold crashing in my fermenting fridge whilst I was away. Craft beer was huge over there, which I was surprised to see. Not hard at all to find an interesting place to hang out at.

What was extra-sweet was a chance meeting. I had lunch with a bunch of jounalists as part of my trip and one of them happened to be "Korea's top journalist for beer" who was annoyed at how often she'd be sidetracked in having to cover less important issues such as North Korean nuclear tests and the daily dumbness of Trump. When I discussed craft beer and brewing with her she quietly got in touch with some boutique brewery outside of town who only sells cellar door for freshness and had them courier 12 man cans of their best kit to me at the hotel. That's the 12 cans you can see stacked up a few pages back. The beer was excellent. I'm not a big pilsner drinker but their was top notch - almost a pale masquerading as a pilsner. But their best was a NEIIPA. It wasn't overly soupy and the hops were perfectly balanced.

The way that journo got into beer was living in Ireland to learn English but ending up learning beer instead. It was a great meeting and an excellent way to top off a trip that was otherwise dealing with ugly shit like nukes, Trump, KJU, etc.

• Like 1

I think some of the only Korean beer I've had is Hite, may have posted it a long time ago along with the joke that Hite must be Korean for shit. Cool I guess to see the American influence. The idea of the US having these regional IPAs is still new to me, back when there was just IPA, so again, interesting to see another culture want to pick that up and replicate it. I imagine what you had was excellent.

Yeah, it was pretty dang good. The US is easily the leader in craft beer styles and I guess IPAs are the most open to variety given the many different kinds of hops and malts these days. The US also having different climates and cultures from coast to coast probably generates very different styles, like the huge difference between west coast and northeast IPAs. I actually prefer an English IPA in winter as it has a danker type flavour to it. As othe countries begin to cultivate their own strands/breeds of hops I reckon you'll see more localised styles of beers - like from New Zealand, Canada, Australia and possibly even Africa given they exist in the right longitude for growing - as other areas respond to the shortage of hops in the world and less replication of US styles.

The Korean beer of Choice now is Cass, it's everywhere and THE standard for swilling. It's basically a miller/Bud or for Australian, Toohey's Dry, Carlton Cold, etc. It's shit but at least it's not offensive.

• 2 weeks later...