Alcoholism

Step8

Congrats Pro

I've cut back my alcoholic consumption loads. Think in the last 2 weeks I've maybe drank once. Did have a slip after payday last month and got wasted.

Luckily I'm broke so no chance of drinking and am almost out of weed.

Been getting really bad insomnia but off to get some sleeping pills from the doc

• Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
The best way (for me) to deal with insomnia is exercise, the evening after a hard swim I sleep through no problem. Failing that if I am looking for a aid I take benedryl, although I have heard that does not work for everyone.

Definitely. I've had insomnia problems for yeeeeears, but never put two and two together. I'd take diphenhydramine, try to drink myself to sleep, melatonin, etc. Some of it worked in the beginning but would always fail out after a few weeks. Started exercising, and that took care of it. Even exercising for 40 minutes or so is enough to knock me out that night.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

i gave up alcohol for lent. I'm not religious, but spiritual. it was more of a self imposed test to see how big a deal alcohol is to me. Its more of an issue than previously perceived, as cravings are real af and falling asleep is/was somewhat a struggle. On the bright side, dropping pounds from my gut.

• 4 months later...

Been 100% clean no weed no alcy since Valentine’s Day .

definitely noticed issues with my sleeping patterns the first month , I had insomnia most nights but when I was finally able to get some shut eye I would have ridiculously vivid dreams . .

Been cutting back significantly. Haven't blacked out in a long time. 

Age has made my hangovers too costly. 

Still have a beer or two on occasion but if I go over that the urge to continue drinking increases exponentially. 

Getting better at controlling and noticing when I am going to go into a depressive cycle. Still smoking weed in small amounts to keep me from doing anything stupid. Did that exclusively for awhile but my social life was withering. Trying to get more social without using the drink as a crutch . 

Pro been a big inspiration dawg seen the major come up like a new man

• 2 months later...
On 2/15/2018 at 8:20 AM, Kalashnikov said:

Definitely. I've had insomnia problems for yeeeeears, but never put two and two together. I'd take diphenhydramine, try to drink myself to sleep, melatonin, etc. Some of it worked in the beginning but would always fail out after a few weeks. Started exercising, and that took care of it. Even exercising for 40 minutes or so is enough to knock me out that night.

Damn, this hits too close to home. Maybe I need to get better about the exercise thing. Almost to a year sober myself. One thing at a time, I suppose.

I don’t drink. Last beer I had was years ago. I’m not against it, special occasions I could If I wanted to, might at some

point. Im just not built for it, from a family of former alcoholics and it just doesn’t take us much and we get nasty and belligerent. I do smoke too much weed though.

Just wanted to check in. Still opiate free, but still drinking on the weekends also. I won't lie, on Friday when I'm getting out of work I'm definitely looking forward to having a few drinks. Not sure if that's a problem yet. I figure so long as I'm not drinking during the week, I'll be alright, but who knows. Everyone's definition of "alcoholic" is different. As a former junkie, I consider addiction as NEEDING something. Physical need mostly, but mental too. I don't need to drink, but I do enjoy it. Maybe I'm just trying to hold onto my seemingly escaping youth by walking around the city with a beer and writing on shit with no plan other than that. God dammit, am I turning into DAO?

• Props 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Congrats on the anniversary.

I am still being mellow and abstaining from all mind altering substances. 

I cooked rice and eggs the other day and thought about pit because I know he liked the dish, looked at the rip thread and the last poster was dow, mortality rate on 12oz is too damn high.  

• Like 1

Oh my. It’s been a few and I was finally able to sign in. But have been keeping slightly up to date via emails.  Props on the 3 yrs, protester. I’ve been seeing a lot of reminders of POZ this past week so maybe there’s a reason. I moved from Vegas to Pittsburgh August 2017. And took my last pill on the move here. I’m in a complexly my new city and have only asked around a few times but pride keeps me from really asking I suppose. I miss them. And miss the comfort they provided. Yeah they caused a lot of other problems but physical comfort was it for me.  It took replacing things I would enjoy while throwing back a few pills to getting used to doing those things without them. Retraining in a way. Or completely getting rid of those things that I would relate pills too. Make sense? But the main thing was moving out of a city where I had it at my dispense and even given to me.   I’ve saved tons of money for fucking sure but I feel like I have zero creativity anymore and the pain is constant still. And I’ve really cut drinking down. Like a lot. I polished off a few bottles around the holidays after not even drinking a bottle’s amount in the last year -I felt it physically. I looked it too. Skin. Eyes.  Body. Everything.  Completely turned me off because I realize I worked too hard on my health to go backwards over a period of two weeks.  Not worth it. Hope you all are doing well and thank you for hangin around.  I missed you all. 

• Like 4
  • Props 2

Congrats @theprotester!!

Really great to see you sticking with it and reaping the benefits.

It is also great to see you posting @SMdoubleXL- we could use some more day in pie pics ? Glad to hear the move was successful - 

I was around a lot of drinking this weekend. I really don’t have a desire because I know how it will turn out. I have been struggling lately - a lot of stress and strange anxiety. Making it a point to get back into better self care. 

Wishing all of you the best, keep it moving.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2018 at 4:17 PM, Deine Mudder said:

How come?

I dunno. It's just not there like it used to be. I mean yeah, I think about it. But it's not enough to get me off my ass to go find it. Especially because I wouldn't know where to find it anymore. I mean, I'm sure I could sit outside the needle exchange or something. But even if I did that, I look so much better now... healthy weight, nice (enough) clothes, cleaned up... whoever I asked would probably just figure I'm a cop. Plus I quit before the fentanyl thing really took off, who knows what you're getting nowadays. People are getting blow and Xanax with fentanyl in it... like really?

One thing I've been struggling with though. I met this girl a while back that I've been seeing for the better part of a year. I never got around to telling her about my past. Sometimes I feel like I'm hiding something, other times it's like whatever... it's the past. I'm not trying to let the years I used define my whole life like "oh, I'm a now-clean heroin addict." Fuck all that, that's not my identity. At the same time it still feels like I should disclose. I don't know. She's pretty liberal on all social issues and I've told her I used to do drugs when I was younger, but I haven't gone into detail.

Anyways, enough of my shit and rambling. Protester, glad you're still sober and congrats on the anniversary. When the cravings hit if they still do, just remember you aren't missing anything.

And yeah, this life definitely has a type.

Edited by Kalashnikov
  • Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1