Succumbing to the Google clusterfuck

KILZ FILLZ

In an effort to declutter my device and simplify login / password storage, I've relinquished to Skynet.

Goodbye Evernote, hello Google Keep. Goodbye Dropbox, hello Google Drive. Goodbye anonymous YouTube acct I used to talk shit, hello YouTube acct linked to my Gmail.

Next: goodbye Samsung pay, hello Google Wallet? I don't know.

An everlasting effort to simplify and reduce may be working against me. I am aware Google cooperates with Babylon. Butttttttt I'm finding myself falling more in line with the thought process that what I do is of no concern to law enforcement. I would assume they're not too concerned with the over thirty year old guy who pays his taxes and doesn't do much other than paint a few times a year.

It's weird though, I know I'm forfeiting my internet anonymity by attaching almost everything to one email and one password. I feel like I'm being lulled asleep by convenience. The comfort of drowning.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The only reason that any of that data will ever be "used" is if you come under the scrutiny of law enforcement for something a bit more serious than a normal misdemeanor offense.... even for a felony I don't think they're going to go digging through your shit unless you did something online or threatened someone.

I recently switched to protonmail.com. I use spideroak.com for all my backup needs. If you wanted to overcome the learning curve you could use AWS for encrypted/authenticated file sharing/storage. My IPhone has my contacts in it that are stored in the cloud but that is nice because I can lose any of my devices or break them and not actually lose my data. I'm not too worried about my stuff being looked into because I don't do anything to bring myself that kind of heat.

The only reason that any of that data will ever be "used" is if you come under the scrutiny of law enforcement for something a bit more serious than a normal misdemeanor offense.... even for a felony I don't think they're going to go digging through your shit unless you did something online or threatened someone. I'm not too worried about my stuff being looked into because I don't do anything to bring myself that kind of heat.

This to me is part of the problem people face- you're only addressing half the issue. All of the data collected can still be used against the masses in ways that are maybe less sinister but still not appealing. A lot of that data can be used to make algorithms of people's behavior, shit that most of us don't understand or even have time to figure out or even comtemplate. Said data can be used to influence you to buy something you don't want/need, or to alter your behavior to increase the likelihood that you buy something you don't want/need. That's just a small example.

If we forget about this and just look at the police aspect of things for a minute, as far as I can recall they've caught no terrorists or such from mass data collection. If a murder occurred in a neighborhood I don't think any of us would want the cops stopping and questioning everyone in that neighborhood. We expect them to develop leads, track shit down, etc., not to stop every person they see until they can identify a murderer. Mass data collection is like stopping the whole hood.

I do agree with you on those points. I expect that people will be conscientious with how they put information online. A really good tool to have at your disposal is a VPN service that doesn't keep server logs. I also keep multiple email addresses. One is for personal communications only and another account is for signing up for online things and access. Keeping those two things separate can go a good ways to not exposing details about yourself that you don't want exposed. One of the best things you can do to keep google out of your business is not use their gmail platform.

In today's age you can research things so it doesn't make sense that anyone buys anything without reading reviews and reviewing the ratings on products. I understand these can also be juked but this goes back to one of the golden rules of running a successful business.... you have to be trusted by your customers. Google actually doesn't sell anything that I buy. I use their free services and their search engine. They actually compete with Amazon in a few different markets that I'm aware of so I doubt there is any "friendly data sharing" going on between the two businesses.

I don't participate in any social networking, all of my accounts have been deleted/shut down because I don't want to be part of advertising databases anymore than I already am from the "necessary" activities I take part in online. Did you know that there are products out now for supermarkets that allow the owner to track devices within the store based on their mac addresses alone? This allows the store to establish hotspots. With some clever data comparison they can find out what products people are looking at the most and put other products they want you to buy next to them in the store where these areas are identified. I hate to say that "nobody's data is safe" anymore but it's a little bit true to some degree.

One of the worst things you can do for your own security is use public wifi access to log into things that are important to you. Yes, this example is outside of government related activities but I think if you're going to be protective over you data you have to adopt the entire mindset rather than small pieces of it here and there..... and you're right about saying that people won't understand or spend the time to figure out. Those are the people that advertising agencies and internet companies love the most.

I've said for a long time that it's bad enough that google has the information on what i search for AND my personal emails together under one roof. I've recently moved most of my personal conversations to a protonmail.com account and created another gmail account for "throw away" purposes.

I just read on article about how the border patrol can legally go into your phone and check it even if you are a citizen. A few of the comments mentioned backing everything up to Google and doing a factory reset on the phone, so maybe having Google programs is not such a bad thing.

Then again i have everything stored on a 1 terabyte external hard drive locked in a wooden box which is locked in a metal safe and buried 219 yards away from my home under a poplar tree that i first made love to my wife under before i asked her to marry me.....saywatenejo