What Kind Of Cell Phone Do You Have?

Tuff Tone

• 2 months later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 6 months later...

I am not sure I agree on all facets of that statement. We're currently dancing the line between what it is to be a mobile device and what it is to be carrying a tablet in your pocket. Many companies have sold people "small tablets" with cell tower connectivity. If you want the hugest cell phone you can get the ipad's that have a SIM card in them.... but it won't fit in anyone's skinny jeans.

My vision for where phones are going is the following:

* small'ish device - big enough to use to make phone calls

* small usable display

* simple design

* wireless connectivity to keyboard, mouse, and video (not shitty video either, i'm talking like wireless 4k res and higher)

* high amount of disk (1TB+)

* high amount of RAM (32GB+)

* high number of fast CPU cores (8+ @ 3.0Ghz)

A device like that would absolutely smash personal computers for what 95% of everyone uses them for. Think about coming into work and not even taking your phone out of your pocket, or just setting it down onto it's wireless power dock..... and having all of the connectivity and useage of a normal computer you surf on. It would even be strong enough to do gaming, 3d modeling, video editing, music composition, etc. I don't think this is just wishful thinking. As time has proceeded we've seen computers get smaller and faster over and over again.

anyone bought the new iPhone yet? is it worth the upgrade from an 8?

The new Iphone IS the 8.... or the X .... whichever you decide fits your needs better. I'm likely going to buy the X when it hits the market but I'm not going to be one of those mouth breathing nerds that waits in line for it at the Apple store. I'll probably wait until Pelican makes a waterproof case for it and then buy both at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I am not sure I agree on all facets of that statement. We're currently dancing the line between what it is to be a mobile device and what it is to be carrying a tablet in your pocket. Many companies have sold people "small tablets" with cell tower connectivity. If you want the hugest cell phone you can get the ipad's that have a SIM card in them.... but it won't fit in anyone's skinny jeans.

My vision for where phones are going is the following:

* small'ish device - big enough to use to make phone calls

* small usable display

* simple design

* wireless connectivity to keyboard, mouse, and video (not shitty video either, i'm talking like wireless 4k res and higher)

* high amount of disk (1TB+)

* high amount of RAM (32GB+)

* high number of fast CPU cores (8+ @ 3.0Ghz)

A device like that would absolutely smash personal computers for what 95% of everyone uses them for. Think about coming into work and not even taking your phone out of your pocket, or just setting it down onto it's wireless power dock..... and having all of the connectivity and useage of a normal computer you surf on. It would even be strong enough to do gaming, 3d modeling, video editing, music composition, etc. I don't think this is just wishful thinking. As time has proceeded we've seen computers get smaller and faster over and over again.

Not sure how soon we'll see this. Pretty amazed at how laggy my topped off brand new macbook pro with touch bar is. My 5 year old desktop smokes this thing, which is now what I expected considering this is supposed to be a pro portable. Phones definitely feel snappy for their intended usage now, but think it might be a while before it has the throughput and all for what you're describing. Assume 5G will have the bandwidth that we might see the dream of centralized processing and dumb terminals that essentially are just input / output, so maybe it can be done that way. But yeah, new macbook pro sort of sucks. Wish apple would keep ignoring the pro desktop segment.

i currently do not own a phone i am awaiting one in the mail for free or one from walmart for freee but i dont have my i.d. registered in my state its from the last place that i lived so when i get that i will be able to apply for a governement phone i really need a phone though and i do got a tablet and i make calls from it but i hate using thos sketchy ass websited to make phone calls and putting the numbers in to some random website ive seen phones with scales in them

I've never not once ever seen an Iphone do this. That sounds like some android malware crap to me.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It has a heart rate sensor too. 

Samsung's website says they just use an LED emitter & detector to measure slight changes in skin movement during heartbeats, so if they use 700-800nm IR for that they can probably pull a halfway accurate pulse ox reading based on how much light is absorbed vs. what was put out.   It wouldn't be as accurate because you'd need a sensor on the other side of the finger or whatever for that part, but you get some kind of baseline reading. 

The iris scanner / face recognition in those is kind of funny.  This thread on Samsung's site is hilarious and says something about how much crap is being tied into the limited near IR spectrum:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8-Questions-and-Answers/S8-IR-Emission/td-p/161240

I have a ceiling fan & light with remote control in my bedroom.

If I leave my S8 face up in the room after a couple of minutes it will transmit something and put the fan in max speed and the light on.

I have the same problem with my S8 and Klipsch R-20B Soundbar.  My S8 will cause the soundbar to power on and increase volume to 100%.  Its ridiculous.  No one with an S8 or similar phone, like my girlfriends Pixel 2 XL can walk into my living room with thier phone without activating the Soundbar, which also instantly and automatically blasts the volume.  I have to return the soundbar and sub.

?  

• Props 1

if you go with the s9, i'd get the s9+ instead....but wait a bit because the price should be dropping any week now.

samsung is also taking pre-orders for the samsung note 9 ...they did an unpacking event 3 days ago in brooklyn....it semms like its going to be a pretty dope phone, but the 128GB is gonna cost $1,000 and the 512GB is going to be about $1,200....thats pretty steep as far as im concerned.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

On 8/12/2018 at 11:25 PM, CALIgula said:

if you go with the s9, i'd get the s9+ instead....but wait a bit because the price should be dropping any week now.

samsung is also taking pre-orders for the samsung note 9 ...they did an unpacking event 3 days ago in brooklyn....it semms like its going to be a pretty dope phone, but the 128GB is gonna cost $1,000 and the 512GB is going to be about $1,200....thats pretty steep as far as im concerned.

Thanks man. What would be the original price as opposed to the new price? I'm really considering the s9/s9+ since a couple of my friends have been really recommending them.