No social media trial

KILZ FILLZ

For Sept I deleted Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram

I kept reddit installed. Seems more like a forum than social media? It's anonymous for the most part. All the other apps I know people IRL who I interact with.

The only one I missed was Instagram and that was only because when I took a picture of some thing I wanted to have a venue to share it. I flooded my group texts with pics I would normally post on IG.

Reinstalled apps this Monday.

Didn't feel like anything was added to my life.

Five days into the month and I deleted them again.

Kept FB alive so the Gf can tag me in pics and family can see what's going on. Will probably install Instagram when I have a good photo dump waiting, post photo dump, and uninstall again.

I found I filled my breaks at work reading again. And my time at home in front of TV more. Will try to correct that and leave the house.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Black Twitter is entertaining as hell. But I'm white so, lol.

For anyone reading this : the Fenix Twitter client and Fenix Facebook clients are much better than the real deal. Give em a go.

The only one I missed was Instagram and that was only because when I took a picture of some thing I wanted to have a venue to share it. I flooded my group texts with pics I would normally post on IG.

I pretty much never signed up for or used social media, and this is one thing I never got- what's wrong with sending a group e-mail to your people? Can be done about as quickly as posting to somewhere, so only thing I can figure is that people like having their shit out there for anyone to see/follow or that getting likes and shit is just that important for some.

i deleted facebook last week.

i was drained from reading all the political posts and shit talking.

never made a twitter or instagram.

but since deleting facebook, ive been spending more time reading as well.

still should try to get out more and enjoy nature....but my gf is still on instagram & facebook and shes mad distracted and always on her phone...im sure i was the same way when i had it.

• Like 2

FB is probably the most useful social media tool as it's based on connections rather than transmissions. It's about how you use it as to how it can work for or against your interests.

Twitter and instagram can be useful as well, as long as you don't post anything but use it to monitor others (news feeds, events, work, etc.).

Just don't post, like, nudge, thumbs up or whatever as all you're doing is building some one else a database on yourself.

Pretty superficial approach. Again, it depends how it's used as to what it does.

Put it this way, if you don't post or like stuff all it can do is note who you know, which can be mapped by other means should folks wish to know. Added to this is your ability to manage and confuse the data you provide.

• Like 1

But there's the problem with these things- you might be able to minimize risk, but you can't eliminate it. Once you put out any type of info you can't take that back, and all that info gets used, mainly in ways you would not want it to be used. Part of the danger in doing this is that a lot of people believe hey, what can they take from me or use against me if I limit my info? Trouble is, that info is used for algorithms that comes up with shit about human behavior that we would never think of or even consider, and that is then used to influence you. There are marketers out there who have written about some of the industry tricks, and they have written that with full awareness of all of the tricks of the trade, you get bombarded with so much that even they find themselves getting taken in by their own techniques at least some of the time!

IDK, was commenting to a friend the other day that with no social media accounts I feel like I have missed a lot and at the same time, nothing at all.

But there's the problem with these things- you might be able to minimize risk, but you can't eliminate it. Once you put out any type of info you can't take that back, and all that info gets used, mainly in ways you would not want it to be used. Part of the danger in doing this is that a lot of people believe hey, what can they take from me or use against me if I limit my info? Trouble is, that info is used for algorithms that comes up with shit about human behavior that we would never think of or even consider, and that is then used to influence you. There are marketers out there who have written about some of the industry tricks, and they have written that with full awareness of all of the tricks of the trade, you get bombarded with so much that even they find themselves getting taken in by their own techniques at least some of the time!

IDK, was commenting to a friend the other day that with no social media accounts I feel like I have missed a lot and at the same time, nothing at all.

Yep, up to speed with it all.

There are very clear and simple strategies to protect yourself from manipulation.

• 3 weeks later...
After reading this thread I setup a new Facebook and I did this because I'm giving it a trial to see if there's any uses for it or not...

Use it with a light touch to keep track of your friends and maybe a few interest groups (be sparing with this). Don't post, don't share, don't like, don't poke, don't pass on and don't use it as a news source and the average person won't experience any overly negative impacts.

If you do want to post, share, like, etc. make sure you do all those things with a balance of stuff that can identify your personality type with things that are very un-you. Going off the grid altogether is super-difficult and the successful effort will likely dominate your existance. So you can't hide. It's about what you share and how easily you can be read and influenced. The more you share of your true self the more vulnerable you are to being influenced.

• Like 2

Use it with a light touch to keep track of your friends and maybe a few interest groups (be sparing with this). Don't post, don't share, don't like, don't poke, don't pass on and don't use it as a news source and the average person won't experience any overly negative impacts.

If you do want to post, share, like, etc. make sure you do all those things with a balance of stuff that can identify your personality type with things that are very un-you. Going off the grid altogether is super-difficult and the successful effort will likely dominate your existance. So you can't hide. It's about what you share and how easily you can be read and influenced. The more you share of your true self the more vulnerable you are to being influenced.

The plan is to keep in touch with old friends who have moved along with their lives. But I don't share and or post too much on it because I for the most part have very different ideas then the mainstream public. Now I know from past experiences that news on social media is trash but thanks for restating that. I'm not all that concerned about "the man" or anyone else to identify me because I don't share anything that I wouldn't mind them seeing.

Just FYI the official science is that Facebook makes you sad.

In general I agree and that's why I have stopped using it in the past. But for now I want to have it just to see if it makes me feel differently in anyway. I had been on the fence for long enough to setting up a new account and this thread was just the tipping point to my everlasting internal debate.

I 100% agree that the dopamine hit from getting a like or comment on social media is short lived and highly addictive. If you look at it in terms of a form of drug addiction it's no wonder so many people are unable to peel away. I took the "i don't care what other people are doing" attitude some years ago and my life has been simpler and happier since. I still keep in touch with the people that matter to me the most.

More power to whoever can bring themselves to quit. I'll tell you it feels good to look around a restaurant that I didn't bring my phone into (leave it in the car) and see all the people not paying attention to the person they're at the place with.... or they're scrolling through pictures and holding their phone up to the other person's face like "look at this, wait wait, look at this one..... oooh you gotta see this one..." Of course there's a "to each their own" element at play here too but I'm glad I'm not wrapped up in something so unproductive like that anymore and I'm always happy to hear other people saying that they don't use social media. That's, actually, one of the most attractive things I can hear a girl say these days is that she doesn't have a face book. That's like an instant angry blue veined diamond cutter right there.

• Like 2