Let's see your bicycles and talk about your builds.

Dirty_habiT

Post 'em... I don't care if there's a 5 year old 600 page thread on the subject already. It's 2017. I've got two bikes, both BMX. I will post them soon when I can get you all some sweet pix with my iphone. I'd like to one day get into downhill mt. biking but my propensity to steer myself from mediocrity puts the bike I'd want in the 5-8k dollar price range. I won't buy something that's "ok" to get by for now until I can get something better.

If you don't want to post your bike, lets hear some of your cycling stories, I know there's a lot of people on this site that bike.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Ah! Very nice, I'm jealous. Those look to be the exact kind of bikes I want to get into. It's cool that you're using platform pedals so you're not "strapped in" when you wreck like you get to experience with clipless pedals. Riding BMX for such a long time has taught me how and when to bail to minimize getting hurt by mistakes.

Ah! Very nice, I'm jealous. Those look to be the exact kind of bikes I want to get into. It's cool that you're using platform pedals so you're not "strapped in" when you wreck like you get to experience with clipless pedals. Riding BMX for such a long time has taught me how and when to bail to minimize getting hurt by mistakes.

I wouldn't mind clipping in but my left knee just doesn't like it for some reason.

Very nice: plus sized tyres, dropper post, looks like about 140mm travel. Very fun bike that one. First things first, get some new pedals!!

Reckon you'd have some nice trails out that way.

Yeah, all this is new to me. Used to race BMX as a kid, but my boy was just up here with his bikes and it just looked so fun. All the ski mountains run trails and lifts in the summer for bikes. About to get my season pass and will have all winter to read up and see what else might help make this more fun, but already got a couple expensive hobbies so not sure how much more I plan to put into this one.

50% off on that is something you couldn't go past. It's a quality bike that should be able to pedal up hills pretty easily as well as manage anything up to mild DH trails. If you've got any flow trails or all-mountain trails near your place that bike will be perfect for them and having BMX skills you'll be like a duck to water.

I can't see the brakes clearly but I'd expect them to reflect the rest of the build, which is quality. Other than that, get yourself some decent pedals - which you can do for around $80 these days. Get yourself some thin, low-profile pedals and you're set. That bike won't need another dollar spent on it for years other than replacing tyres, brake pads, chains and the normal commensurables.

Mountain biking is as addictive as cocaine and far more expensive if you fall into the n+1 mindset as I have. Fortunately the new generation of bikes, like the type you have, fits many different categories of riding into the one set of wheels.

• Like 1

Related: What are your favorite platform pedals out now? In the market for a set for my 1x9 hardtail. Also might swap out what I've got on my ss cx bike.

I just perused Jenson's offerings and recognized about 3 brands didn't recognize what seemed to be a couple hundred different new ones... I love that so many independent companies are putting out progressive stuff, but I have no idea about reputation or quality anymore.

Here are two of the bikes we have. The gray one is a "built" 21" top-tube Standard Trailboss from ~2002 or so. It's heavy and out dated on the frame geometry compared to modern bikes but it still feels good to ride. The gold/blue bike is a Sunday bike that was used in the filmiing of a commercial for Sunday's new bikes by Aaron Ross and a few other BMX pros. They basically rode it for a day and then it ended up in the hands of someone I knew that worked for Odyssey BMX. I got it for an incredible deal and it literally was a new bike that you could tell had been "ridden for a day". It wasn't beat up. My girlfriend has since decided on the blue/gold color scheme so we've changed a lot of the black parts on the bike over to blue.

I'll take a photo of my current bike and post it tomorrow or something. It's got a custom paint job on it and I got it for helping get a website put together for a local wheel builder in the BMX community here in Austin, TX. I won't say much about it and let the pictures do it justice when I attach them. Here are they dirty girls, ridden hard and put away wet:

IMG_2083.thumb.JPG.739952b3bb387d15e4bdc3ec0bb7f3c8.JPG

• Like 3

Related: What are your favorite platform pedals out now? In the market for a set for my 1x9 hardtail. Also might swap out what I've got on my ss cx bike.

I just perused Jenson's offerings and recognized about 3 brands didn't recognize what seemed to be a couple hundred different new ones... I love that so many independent companies are putting out progressive stuff, but I have no idea about reputation or quality anymore.

I have a set of Shimano DX platform pedals that I bought quite a few years ago that are on the gray bike above. They are pretty nice IMO and come with two different lengths of pins that you can screw into them. Keep in mind that while they do help you grip the pedals they will also chew the shit out of your shins if you slip a pedal. I see a lot of riders going with plastic platform pedals now too because there are actually some good products in that market now. It used to be that plastic platform pedals were just cheap, but now they actually have some good stuff that's strong and designed well with cool colors.

Post 'em... I don't care if there's a 5 year old 600 page thread on the subject already. It's 2017. I've got two bikes, both BMX. I will post them soon when I can get you all some sweet pix with my iphone. I'd like to one day get into downhill mt. biking but my propensity to steer myself from mediocrity puts the bike I'd want in the 5-8k dollar price range. I won't buy something that's "ok" to get by for now until I can get something better.

If you don't want to post your bike, lets hear some of your cycling stories, I know there's a lot of people on this site that bike.

as soon as i figure out how to 00ntz in 2017 i got flicks of the new copp. would love to share and hear some cheap suggestions to build this bitch up. just an old classic black frame french made peugeot.

I have a set of Shimano DX platform pedals that I bought quite a few years ago that are on the gray bike above. They are pretty nice IMO and come with two different lengths of pins that you can screw into them. Keep in mind that while they do help you grip the pedals they will also chew the shit out of your shins if you slip a pedal. I see a lot of riders going with plastic platform pedals now too because there are actually some good products in that market now. It used to be that plastic platform pedals were just cheap, but now they actually have some good stuff that's strong and designed well with cool colors.

Yep, consider some of the light weight plastics. The good brands make some pretty decent product in durable plastics these days.