What makes a good piece of train graffiti?

Utah_Bench

Is it difficulty, colors, design...just what elements make a good piece for you? For me as a newbie I like bold colors, I like to be able to read it and, I like when characters or other elements are used and not just letters.. For instance I like Ichabod's work...

post1.thumb.jpg.df626c89748763007c9d1dc8d5418894.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

For me: letter structure is by fart he most important element by far. Other than that I like depth, cleanliness, simplicity, good colour choice and just some kind of cartoonish, satirical funk that I cannot explain - Rime pretty much nails this aspect for me, as does Zek, Mek, Bones and a few others. Creativity in terms of something simple that you kick yourself for not thinking of is also awesome to behold.

Not to be a dick, but this thread belongs in Third Rail, which is in the graffiti discussion section of the forum. Channel zero is for non graffiti discussion.

with that said, letter structure is definitely most important whether it be on a train or on a wall....even if its as simple as a glue piece on a train or as complex as a kwest piece.

I also like themed trains (wc's & e2e's).

Not to be a dick, but this thread belongs in Third Rail, which is in the graffiti discussion section of the forum. Channel zero is for non graffiti discussion.

with that said, letter structure is definitely most important whether it be on a train or on a wall....even if its as simple as a glue piece on a train or as complex as a kwest piece.

I also like themed trains (wc's & e2e's).

Sorry for posting in the wrong section, my bad and I'll do better next time. So it comes down to letter structure for you, cool.

For me: letter structure is by fart he most important element by far. Other than that I like depth, cleanliness, simplicity, good colour choice and just some kind of cartoonish, satirical funk that I cannot explain - Rime pretty much nails this aspect for me, as does Zek, Mek, Bones and a few others. Creativity in terms of something simple that you kick yourself for not thinking of is also awesome to behold.

Letter structure for you also, interesting. I also love creativity and catching something that others may have missed.

Letter structure indeed. I liken it to hiphop when someone changes the pronunciation of a word to fit their rhyme. That's not skill. Just like morphing a letter so far from what it meant to be as a visual representation of said letter to fit the piece. The true masters who have made letters their bitch always leave in awe.

There are things specific to train art but freights are a tiny afterthought here.

My two cents goes with the typical posts seen here. With freights in particular I'd rather do a simple straight letter over a complicated piece anytime. My thinking behind this is that the freight will cross a road intersection for a few seconds and in that time the average person won't spend their time reading some complicated painting. They will instead read the straight letter piece, but even then some would argue does it really matter if that person can read it.

• Like 1

Graf being the art of the letter I feel like you have to say letters and letter structure before anything else. There's merits to simples and wild styles from there. There is definitely something about a freight that makes a simple piece with a little character blow up. Maybe because as opposed to walls which are ground up freights have panels starting waist high. All of this came from subway graf, but if you want to talk freights there was a lot of fresh shit as the scene emerged, doing tight simple styles with a little character in or beside the letters- King 157, Mber, High, Mone, Ich, to name just a few.

Other than letters, a piece definitely looks nice if it happens to be on a fairly new/freshly painted car, or when it's popping off a really weathered old car. Also nice when someone is able to plan for what color car they're painting and plan their piece to fit.

Not knocking stand alone characters either though, which I love to see. El Mac, Twist (kind of rare to catch now), Heroin, plenty more with good stuff to see.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

entercreativeusername hit the nail on the head in my opinion. Wildstyles should be left on walls, really complicated pieces. When a line is flying by at a crossing or in the distance slmething simple yet funky will always stand out and stick with you. Not to contradict my statement but there are guys that made names for themselves using wildstyle, for example kwest, onorok and early mfk members like paser and timber. But the reason is is because they had such an original distinctive wildstyle. If an mfk freight flew past you, you knew it was mfk. When i first got into graff and started benching in the early thousands i saw alot of mber...hes the perfect example of how a panel on a freight should look. Again in my opinion. He always stuck out to me the first time I saw his trains. And lewis, pre, etc etc. What makes a good piece of train graffiti to me? Simple yet funky letter structure, two or three guys on a car with matching color schemes and backgrounds. Throw ups on freights = wack. Floaters on freights = wack big huge tags or fire extinguisher sprays on freights = wack. Piece it or leave it. Cut off bottoms and characters, crew shots on the doors is what looks best. I also advise you to pick up a copy of "Freight Train Graffiti" to obtain more knowledge on the history of American Freight Graffiti.

Peace.

867877211_5163706VZ6L._SX258_BO1204203200_.jpg.bb9f2c4cffbee14ab8d2c01944a28760.jpg

• Like 1