The most basic question...why?

Utah_Bench

Why do writers write and why do they do train graffiti? It's illegal, you can get jail time and a record and as far as I know writes don't make money off it, in fact they spend money to do it. I know there are many reasons, one for each writer I guess but, what are some of the common basic reasons for doing it?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I do it to leave my mark in this world. Everyday I go to work and do my school work. At the end of that if I really want to have a good time I don't really want to drink a beer and just hang out. Instead if I can leave a spot with a good picture of a fill in that day was a success.

Thanks for the reply enteruncreativename and I can understand that reason, everyone whats to leave a mark in one way or another.

UB- turn about is fair play so question(s) for you- How did you get into taking flix of graffiti, on trains? And what brought you to this ghost ship of a site?

Why take flicks of train graffiti? I guess because I'm drawn to art in it's many forms, I like to take pictures, and I live near a major train yard so I guess it was natural for me to gravitate to train art at some point or another. How did I end-up here? That's easy, looking for some info on train graffiti mixed with a Google search and the fact there are not many forums (that I saw at the time) dedicated to the subject and...here I am. To be truthful with you I'm retired Air Force (AF) and still work with the AF on F-16 fighter aircraft and one of my major hobbies is collecting the art painted on the ladder doors of a military aircraft known as the A-10 warthog. I've been collecting this art for over 25 years and train art drew me a lot like this type of art. I don't know how much these two art forms have in common but they are both cool as hell and speak to me in some ways. I like photographing the graffiti but want to move more into the artistic side of shooting it, if that's possible with the railroad and all, and not just getting straight-up shots of the art itself when the weather gets a little warmer. Here's a couple of examples of the A-10 door art I collect. Now that you know kinda who I am and what I do I hope this was not to much information and it's still cool if I hang out here because I don't want anything from you except what information you guys would like to give and to share the flicks I get.

door2.thumb.jpg.06c93229c26f8bf58b42c4dd513bdb9d.jpg

door1.jpg.3952225acc8b40825fe2de624db16ff3.jpg

• Like 3

Cool, nice to know that an old military man is welcome here thanks guys and I would be happy to post a couple more from the A-10. The first one is taken from an 80s hair band named Dangerous Toys and of course the second one is taken from the band Disturbed. Dangerous Toy seemed a good fit for the aircraft and the maintenance man who had it done was a big Dangerous Toys band fan. Do a Google search for the bands album covers and see how one was adapted for the door art. The second door was used because the aircraft took a number of hits from ground fire (a couple of times) and make it back to base OK so Indestructible seemed appropriate.

door3.jpg.5ba195d2096f67febb5a3a6f7794baf7.jpg

door4.jpg.11417cf6fa06060cf0f1a034bf0b1cc8.jpg

• Like 2

Glad I read this thread. Great artwork, mate, keen to see more.

As for why, I haven't painted illegally for decades but I painted then and still paint now because I simply love the art. I also like the music, subculture and history but most of all, I think it looks fantastic.

Thanks for your prospective Hua.

Again, very cool. And the metal references were not missed. You have Vic Rattlehead in the 2nd door you posted.

I knew about Vic but didn't post the info because it was my first few flicks on the subject. Of course I picked some of the best for these first few photos posted but I still have a lot more and will post as I can. I also have a number of them off F-16s (what we call the com door) they are a lot small but just as cool IMHO, here's an example of one of these.

90-0723.jpg.c5a3d8cf62d9354c2ed443f4b056848e.jpg

• Like 2

Why do writers write and why do they do train graffiti? It's illegal, you can get jail time and a record and as far as I know writes don't make money off it, in fact they spend money to do it. I know there are many reasons, one for each writer I guess but, what are some of the common basic reasons for doing it?

It's like a project where your reward is a proportional result of how hard you work. Unlike real life, which is full of pretentious attitudes and unfair shit.

On top of that, cities are full of garbage, homeless, snobs, morons, and spots that simply look WRONG without graffiti on them.

To lurk spots is a testament to the fact that nobody is keeping track of you after all. Nobody gives a real shit about you until they have a use for you.

And whether or not you do block letters or just tags, there is always an artistic element to it. A lot of people are numb to aesthetics and subtlety. Some people can't help but to acknowledge the way things are designed.

Some people are made for this shit. Most of us have problems.

• Like 2

To me, it's one of those things you either get or you don't.

If you don't/haven't done it, you can't comprehend the feeling and entirety of it.

It's like swimming with sharks in a cage or skydiving, you can watch it, imagine it, whatever,

but there is no surrogate for the smell of paint while you're standing on an 8 inch platform sixty

feet above the ground.

The world wouldn't look right without it, and anyone can do 'art' in a studio, the real art is in the streets,

the alleys, the walls and the tracks.

It's like a project where your reward is a proportional result of how hard you work. Unlike real life, which is full of pretentious attitudes and unfair shit.

On top of that, cities are full of garbage, homeless, snobs, morons, and spots that simply look WRONG without graffiti on them.

To lurk spots is a testament to the fact that nobody is keeping track of you after all. Nobody gives a real shit about you until they have a use for you.

And whether or not you do block letters or just tags, there is always an artistic element to it. A lot of people are numb to aesthetics and subtlety. Some people can't help but to acknowledge the way things are designed.

Some people are made for this shit. Most of us have problems.

Thanks.

To me, it's one of those things you either get or you don't.

If you don't/haven't done it, you can't comprehend the feeling and entirety of it.

It's like swimming with sharks in a cage or skydiving, you can watch it, imagine it, whatever,

but there is no surrogate for the smell of paint while you're standing on an 8 inch platform sixty

feet above the ground.

The world wouldn't look right without it, and anyone can do 'art' in a studio, the real art is in the streets,

the alleys, the walls and the tracks.

Nice prospective.

I'm a mostly-retired never-has-been, but I'll throw my two cents in. I started writing when I was younger for a few reasons. I always liked drawing, letters, and colors. So I noticed graffiti from a young age and was intrigued by and drawn to it. I went through some rough times as a kid and writing was an outlet. I was quiet, shy - and often frustrated with situations I was put in. Writing on shit was an escape - and kind of a "fuck you" at times. As I got older, it was like a sport. It's competitive, you need to put work in, and it can be rewarding. You want to push yourself to get better. And you want to learn and be a part of the history and culture.

But mostly, I just wanted to draw rap letters on girls' notebooks in middle school.

I'm a mostly-retired never-has-been, but I'll throw my two cents in. I started writing when I was younger for a few reasons. I always liked drawing, letters, and colors. So I noticed graffiti from a young age and was intrigued by and drawn to it. I went through some rough times as a kid and writing was an outlet. I was quiet, shy - and often frustrated with situations I was put in. Writing on shit was an escape - and kind of a "fuck you" at times. As I got older, it was like a sport. It's competitive, you need to put work in, and it can be rewarding. You want to push yourself to get better. And you want to learn and be a part of the history and culture.

But mostly, I just wanted to draw rap letters on girls' notebooks in middle school.

Very cool RiSC thanks for your insight, I can see where you're coming from (not that I can understand completely because I haven't been there) but can see your prospective.

• Like 1