THE GRATEFUL DEAD SUPERTHREAD

shai

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I heard snippets of Dave's Picks #9 on a radio program and loved it; ended up downloading the album, fucking great. I never really heard much from The Dead aside from studio albums and never really "got it" until now, hooked. Recommend me some more good live stuff folks, I seriously have been listening to this non stop. Definitely feeling "Playing in The Band", Me And My Uncle" and "El Paso".

Dave's Picks #9: http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/daves-picks-volume-9-harry-adams-field-house-u-montana-51474-cd

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been enjoying the Grateful Dead channel on SiriusXM lately, first had it on a company truck and now streaming in trial mode or whatever.

The channel could be better but I really like have the selections made for me and some of the commentary is worthwhile, I have a better understanding now of different eras than before and appreciate them in a new way.

Has anyone seen heard from Shai?  

I keep that channel in rotation and like it, but at the same time it does suffer from some of the same issues that other radio does, like certain songs are pretty heavy in the rotation.  

On the other hand, the Dead have a massive catalog, especially with all the live recordings,  and they do play a decent selection of shows.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
13 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Recommend me some jams

im a noob

Let me preface by saying that GD songs are a bit like Bob Dylan in that you have the studio/album versions, and then live versions that are typically not played the same and maybe not even played the same way twice depending on time period or who may be playing w/ them.  There are also popular song combos from different albums that only appear live.  Their catalog is so extensive 20 people could give you 20 different answers but a few I like that fall within their common favorites:

Friend Of The Devil (studio version, more up tempo than many of the live versions)

Dire Wolf

Jack Straw

China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider (live versions)

Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain (album versions are fine but this is a common live combo)

Tennessee Jed

Casey Jones

Sugar Magnolia

Franklin's Tower

St. Stephen

Uncle John's Band (album version best, pick & choose among live versions)

Brown Eyed Women

• 5 months later...