What Kind Of Cell Phone Do You Have?

Tuff Tone

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One plus one is finally taking a shit on me. Volume increase button died and mic for phone calls died. Speakerphone still works strangely.

Ordered a blackberry passport silver edition and should arrive tmrw. $300 outright from blackberry.com. Last piece of hardware they will produce. Announced they'll be only software moving fwd

• 3 weeks later...

i have a galaxy s5 but recently the screen cracked and while playing with my son it decided to completely not work anymore so now i have to get the entire screen replaced.. but ive been looking to get a new phone and i have my eyes set on a few new phones but dont feel like paying 800 plus for a phone.. fuck an iphone and im done with samsung cause the past month and a half or so its been giving me tons of difficulty but i feel thats just a software issue.. my first choice is the ZTE Axon 7 for 400 bucks you cant beat it.. only thing i dont like is the non illuminated buttons but im sure once muscle memory comes into play finding those buttons will be second nature.. besides that the only other one i really like is the Xiaomi Mi Mix but its only gonna be sold in china.. 500 bucks, 95% screen real estate if not more, no bezels, 6 gb of ram, tons of storage space its ridiculous plus the earpiece is built behind the screen and uses some type of like sonar/vibration thing to act as the earpiece.. it looks ill but it sucks its only gonna be available in china.. at least for now but i hope it crosses over seas id love to get my hands on it and check it out.. only other choice was gonna be the oneplus 3 but they completely lost me with no expandable storage.. like cmon man.. give me my expandable storage damnit...

Honestly, I'm considering going back to a dumb phone. Wondering how many of you guys have thought of doing the same and what your reasons are?

Two reasons driving me to consider it is that I hate how much time I find myself staring at the screen. Even being consciously aware that I hate to be that guy at a social setting looking at my phone, I still do it. I'm always thinking how lame it is to see people at a restaurant and the whole table is just staring at their screens instead of interacting with each. Then find myself often doing the same lame shit. Additionally, I'm starting to get bothered by all the 'convenience' features. I'm finding it creepy that when I look at my iPhone, its predicting the traffic time to the place I've been going into work every day. I don't recall ever notifying or configuring in any of this... It just seems to be picking up the patterns of my day and then making predictive suggestions based upon those patterns. It seems like more and more often it's alerting me with data that really is on par as having someone stalk me throughout the day and then popping up occasionally to remind me what I'll likely do next. Maybe, I'm a little more paranoid than the next guy and being honest, there's nothing wrong / illegal about anything I'm doing, but it's just creepy as shit and I wonder about the potential for abuse if 'someone' wanted to have a Gods eye view of what people were doing. Anyhow, considering ditching my phone and just going back to an old flip phone, no GPS, no data and postponing all the online data shit for when I'm at a computer.

Any of you all feeling the same?

Yes and no.

I was a hold out until about a year ago with a dumb phone. It was indeed profoundly liberating. Just as you'd expect.

Now that I've upgraded to smart I'm fully addicted to some pretty unnecessary shit, but there are huge benefits in having it. I waste a lot of time on IG, but I also make a fair bit of beer money because of my account. Being able to access my school stuff on my phone is definitely handy as hell, too.

Realistically I see myself hanging on to a smart phone until I'm done with grad school. After that, I'll be fine without it.

but I also make a fair bit of beer money because of my account

Assume this is by way of selling vintage cans?

Yeah, I definitely recognize it can be entertaining and there's no doubt there's a lot of useful stuff... Hard to imagine navigating with an old paper map, but still can't shake the idea that it's sort of the cliche dystopian vision that everyone would have chips implanted that track their every move and here we are happily spending all kinds of money to just carry it around in our pockets. It's old news that the has existed the technical ability to activate a phone and allow it to broadcast covertly to a third party without their knowledge or interrupting inbound or outbound calls. Likewise read a bunch about a project called sting ray that basically is a briefcase sized cellular receiver that intercepts cellular calls and data when within range of a targeted phone and as such does not require a warrant since nothing is being installed. Plus with all the Snowden stuff that came out essentially vindicating most of what the tin foil hat brigade had been worried about... Not sure man, just feeling like I might want to opt out. I definitely enjoy Instagram as much as the next guy and as said, am not doing anything illegal, but again... When I happen to search for something online an then see it being advertised a few days later in my Instragram feed... Seeing much more creepy than convenient.

Apologies for thread jacking. Maybe this is a topic for a new thread or something?

Not enough traffic to justify threads.....

Yeah, I sell a lot of the cans I post.

I think the 1984-reality shit will be a fact of life, regardless of cell phones. Any web-presence you have is monitored and likely linked to your real identity. One of the reasons I kicked FB and (mostly) avoid political conversations anymore. These conversations are not temporary; they will be logged, scanned, sorted, and held against you when the time comes.

The whole of the molon labe/3%/oath keepers scene are going to be in for a surprise when their wet-dream revolution doesn't work at all because big-brother already has each and every one of them marked...

Not enough traffic to justify threads.....

Yeah, I sell a lot of the cans I post.

I think the 1984-reality shit will be a fact of life, regardless of cell phones. Any web-presence you have is monitored and likely linked to your real identity. One of the reasons I kicked FB and (mostly) avoid political conversations anymore. These conversations are not temporary; they will be logged, scanned, sorted, and held against you when the time comes.

The whole of the molon labe/3%/oath keepers scene are going to be in for a surprise when their wet-dream revolution doesn't work at all because big-brother already has each and every one of them marked...

Yeah probably likely, but I'd like to think at a certain point people push back and we see some balance. All of this only really works so long as a significant majority of people go along with it. I think we're already seeing evidence that we're reaching a point where people are pretty frustrated and angry.

At 400 bucks I wouldn't care about memory upgrades

i mean yea at that price you cant beat it but ive had annoying run ins with my iphone 5 where id go and take a pic of my son or friends or something when im out or even update an app only to have my phone say insufficient storage and need me to delete some things.. think about being out with friends going to take a group photo or something only to be like "ok everyone say cheese..! fuck, hold on let me delete some things... alright one more time guys say cheese....!! FUCK.. hold on..." it gets annoying.. kinda like how some people talk about owning a gun, id rather have one than not need it than need it and not have it.. same premise with expandable storage id rather have mad space for whatever i want than only the 64gb or however much the phone has.. and no i dont trust "the cloud"...

So as follow up to the paranoia in my last couple comments in this thread... My wife texts me a pair of LL Bean duck boots she wants to get my opinion on for winter. Never searched it, just received a link via text that I looked at in my browser. Now, I have the same pair advertised in my Instagram feed. Likewise, when the wife sent me those, I told her I was thinking of getting some Salomon boots for myself. Never sent her a link, she never googled it... Just a reference to them sent to her via text. This morning she's seeing Tactical Distributor ads for a Salomon boot sale (25%) off in her Facebook feed. (I have a Facebook account, but I don't use it. Been weeks since I've looked at it and when I do, it's like every few months if that). Likewise, she's not the type to look at anything remotely tactical where an ad from them would pop up as a natural part of the content she views. In fact, its the exact opposite... She's looking at uber progressive type content and so do all her friends.

Shit is just too much to be coincidence. So creepy and honestly, can't even see how it's legal. Can't even guess at what shit the government can do if advertising is that intrusive and targeted.

Just buy the damn boots.

I do hear you though. I have no FB/twitter etc. Adblock stays steady posted, but I'm fully aware that somewhere there is a large amount of data I've generated from my electronic footprint. One thing I've learned this year is that I was nowhere near as dependent on connected technology as I thought I was.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i feel you raven it does seem creepy at times.. i kinda feel like its more so just some algorithm or something to bug us as consumers to pressure us into actually buying the product.. kinda like its just nudging you like "are you suuuuure you dont want those boots..? they are nice arent they..? you could use a new pair anyway..." least how i look at it.. still creepy though none the less how you can get ads for a product you never searched for but only because some type of notion of it you know.. ive had that happen before too its weird..

as far as my cell phone hunting the new oneplus 3t just came out.. same shit as before with a couple extra features.. 16mp front camera instead of 8, 3400mah battery instead of just 3000, snapdragon 821 which is just sliiiightly better than the 820 but without much noticable difference, 128 gb of memory rather than just 64gb but with the same 6gb of ram with the same 1080p display.. at this point im gonna buy the 3t over the axon 7.. from what ive read and seen the os on oneplus is alot smoother than zte minus the bloatware the axon 7 comes with and easier to work with.. besides non expandable storage 128 should be good.. my s5 had 64gb with a 32gb sd card and with all my picutres and music on the sd i still had around 24gb left on it so with that being said aint no way 128 isnt gonna be enough.. overall i feel for the extra bit of money the oneplus is the top tier of the 400 dollar range with better battery, ram and os where as the axon 7 just has the hifi audio chips and front speakers which now seem kinda gimmicky to me plus alot of reviews reported occasional hiccups in the software to where some apps take forever to load which in oneplus's case, never stutters or has any issue with high demand apps like games and multitasking as well.. ive been doing alot of research on what to spend my money on and honestly this might just be the one after all..

Was seriously considering going back to dumb phone

Have to drive a lot in San Diego and I'd be fucked w out GPS

Stayed w smart phone

Blackberry doesn't have a lot of apps though it's ended up being a bit of a middle ground

• 4 weeks later...

i got the last BB that didnt have android. Blackberry Passport silver edition. goddamnit the hardware is outstanding! best phone ive ever held in my hand

OS kinda blows though. very slow switching between apps. not many options for browsers other than the BB native browser. limited app selection.. even basic apps like Uber and Lyft,Instagram, Facebook... PAYPAL. Pretty much zero apps

i was able to side-load the google play store on to the device with use of some APK files posted online. Works so-so. some apps still refuse to work because they can tell its not droid/IOS. most will DL and work ok. Few have worked perfectly...... even Pandora crashes A LOT.

if the silver passport was full droid it wouldve probably been a major contender against the iphone.