What book are you reading? Part 20

• 5 months later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 4 weeks later...
nice. she dead.

sad book.

i'm tearing through this. almost finished it on vacay

learned a lot. pretty cool that world's fair was the first use of spray paint.

[ATTACH=full]183439[/ATTACH]

Related: http://variety.com/2015/film/news/leonardo-dicaprio-martin-scorsese-reunite-for-devil-in-the-white-city-1201567113/

I haven't read a book in like 8 months. Lots of homework and magazine articles. Might try to squeeze something in during the rest of winter break.

• 3 weeks later...

I liked Choke even though it was a bit of a grind

just finished-

the Martian

way of the superior man

currently-

art of war (1st time read)

next-

the book of five rings

catcher in the rye

finished the Tragedy of Liberation

now onto part ii of the trilogy: Mao's Great Famine

good history books, but can be a bit of a slog. definitely learning a lot. and Great Famine was the perfect book to have while I was trying to fly home in the blizzard.. really puts problems into perspective when you're reading about people killing their babies, selling their children, and eating tree bark just to survive

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Even though I knew what the story was about, I had never actually read Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl.

I picked it up in the thrift store a few years back and it was collecting dust.

The history channel and american heroes channel were showing a couple documentaries about the life of anne frank, so i dvr'd them and then started to read the book first...just finished the book yesterday, and i watched one of the documentaries late last night.

NTH05.jpg.3e17328799faba96323254856f4e76b7.jpg

Honestly, for me I was more interested in the parts where she was discussing the historical aspects of the war (Churchill, D Day, the assassination attempt, etc) and how Jews were perceived and treated in the occupied countries. I was also interested in her views about nature (how being outdoors can cure ailments) and wanting to be something other than in a traditional female role of the times. It was also interesting what they ate to survive and how they were helped by Miep, Bep, and Kleiman and Kugler.

But what I didn't really care for was the constant bashing of the others in the secret annex. It seems like she spent too much time either bitching about her mom, or Dussel, or Mrs. Van Dans. Also, talking about her love of Peter got repetitive. I understand it's the diary of a girl going from age 13 to 15, but certain passages were redundant and Otto Frank could have left them out, IMO.

word. thanks for that. makes me think i'd get irritated reading it.

i may have mentioned this in here already, but if you're into the circumstances in germany around the time of hitler's rise, i really enjoyed Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts. It kinda ends as things are heating up, but i learned so much and it was, for me, a very engrossing read.

9938498.jpg.70aa8f2a02f5cb2031201d3a7621f5ee.jpg

I still need to get around to reading the devil in the white city....i see people recommending that book everywhere.

So, In the Garden of Beasts is about pre-WW2?...sounds like a good read..every time anything WW2 or Nazi germany comes on tv, I always end up watching it.

yeah, it's about the American ambassador to Germany just before the war broke out.

some politics - he wasn't well liked as an appointee - some family drama - he brought his wife and adult children to europe with him, and lots of history

i got a really interesting perspective on how hitler sort of slunk to power while people were living in a fog i guess.. for lack of a better word.

and you also get some very interesting information about incidents that began to occur that in hindsight, are obvious clues to what was coming.

because the history i know has been so focused on the conflicts and aftermath, i've gotten very little about what comes first and for that reason, i loved it.

immediately after that book, i read Dead Wake, also by Erik Larson about the last crossing of the lusitania

again, picked up all this knowledge about stuff i had no clue about because once again, the book is focusing on thing that happened prior to US involvement in the war.

1791651482_512BkAdUZOyL._SX327_BO1204203200_.jpg.5140f02d2d85badfbda06da0bc491e17.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not sure about phillip k dick as an author, but i can't critique, i've never read his stuff cuz i start it and don't really like it enough to continue

- do androids dream of electric sheep bring one example.

he might be a little too out-there for me

it happens though. i've been trying to read/finish infinite jest for several decades. i read about 200 pages and then put it down for like 10 years.

i downloaded a ton of books yesterday

i've got my spring/summer reading cut out for me.

some highlights..

286748631_518ZGT854JL._SY344_BO1204203200_.jpg.eb5fe8105d8e47fa723d63ff3ef7cda9.jpg

2035489386_515p3OrN1KL._SY344_BO1204203200_.jpg.af7aabf8788bad2e156294bef00b8c0a.jpg

900121271_51w4bSOuXoL._SX281_BO1204203200_.jpg.29dc0b6ec2d40ae46ae867f6ae55e56f.jpg

40067.jpg.07e001efbe1e4c281587d3397e258f08.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

^nice....i remember watching the movie with my parents when i was a kid...but dont remember too much about the actual story...i think i remember a scene where dustin hoffman is eating bugs...am i wrong?

either way i should add that to my list of books to read.

• 2 weeks later...