Headed South...

50million

So I have decided to leave the bay and try a new adventure. Getting hitched and moving to Austin. Trying to get Lily to come with.

Any advice for a California girl moving to Austin? Any places worth checking out? Any random ass towns to drive to for thirfting/antiquing/breweries/shows/food?

Totally down for weekend road strips, hiking, beaches/surfing (which beaches on the gulf are the best?), finding new taco spots, etc...

And yes, P. Terry's IS better than In-n-Out.

tl-horizontal_main

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, getting hitched. Also got a potential promotion. I will find out this week.

Also been spending lots of time there. I think it's beautiful and fun. I really like it.

I'll be back in California one day. Me and the boy are thinking about buying a goat farm in Napa when he retires.

Ha, Californians have a bit of a stigma attached to them in Austin - the Northern Invasion, so it's called. You'll get blamed for pushing real estate prices up but it's cool, the Texans are very hospitable. Bars up the far end of 6th, away from the CBD are pretty fun. Wholefoods in town is just ridiculous and one block up there are some kick arse dirt jumps if you're in to riding. Opal Devines makes a decent burger, Salt Lick is decent BBQ and bars shut at fucking 2am, thanks to the religious folk, so be sure to find out where the house parties are.

I've only ever lived in an apartment on 5th near W.Foods or up on 45th West. Haven't really ever traveled too far out of the town area as I'm only ever there for work, which is close to the Chase building.

I had trouble getting good coffee there. Sandra Bullock has a decent little cafe on 6th, can't remember what it's called but it's just down from Guadeloupe (sp?) on the south side of 6th. There's another joint but I can't recall the name, will ask and get back to you but it will be in the CBD as well, as that's all I really know of Austin.

Like I said, getting hitched. Also got a potential promotion. I will find out this week.

Being as you're coming from one of the most expensive parts of the country, I wouldn't be surprised if that promotion to Austin comes with a pay cut.

But I'd factor in the vast difference in cost of living before freaking out and turning down that pay cut.

and bars shut at fucking 2am, thanks to the religious folk

Bars shut at 2am pretty much everywhere in America.

Nothing to do with bible thumpers.

The only place I've ever been to that they're open till 4 is NYC.

I've heard they're open till 4 in SF too.

Either way, 2am is pretty much the standard in this country.

Not being able to buy beer at a store after 12am, and no takeout from the bars is some Texas bullshit though.

I don't know where Marfa, TX is but my lady stayed there a day. There is some field of strange concrete sculptures out in the desert. Odd town worth an hour or two detour. What's it like working for WF? I've heard it's a great job with good benefits. One thing I've always wondered, do they purposefully make it incredibly easy to walk out of their store for some reason? All I can figure is they don't want the RWP to feel uncomfortable. Well, anyway good work and if you go east of TX hollar at your boy.

Cheers to marriage!

Also, goat farm. Definately goat farm.

On a whim I checked youtube and was really surprised to the full version of Slacker there,

This is, in my opinion, a great American movie and is is about the city of Austin.

The thing that is really crazy about it is that all the characters are real, there is a book that came along with the movie showing their stories in more detail.